Gesine Stanienda
Ireland
Galway
Galway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a solo wargamer with a special interest in ancient Greece/ ancient Rome and am looking for some recommendations.

What games could you recommend with "ancient" scenarios that play well solo.
I have been eyeing "Commands and Colors: Ancients" and the "Sparta" expansion as well as "Julius Caesar" (although JC may not play well solo...".

I'm currently waiting for "Field Commander: Alexander" to come in.

Any other recommendations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peter berger
Germany
flag msg tools
hi, do you already look for lost battles?

its should play solo pretty well, because of no hidden informations and the game plays most parts "itself". but you have to play both sides. on one side the mechanic is simple but because of a lot of extra paragraphs it makes the game pretty complicated and the rules are hard to read- specially if you are not a native english speaker like ME!!!
also in the game box is a game called empire. that is very easy and it is playable for 1-4 people (but you have to play 4 sides if you play it solo).
the components are great and beautiful to watch. Problem: you will not find it in online shops, it is sold out. but you can buy the book for the rules and make your own game material.

another one is ancient battles deluxe. it is easier than lost battles and very flexible/generetic however you call it. i dont have this game, because i am waiting for the gold banner edition - and i hope it will produce some day...

if there is somebody that played both games (solo), could that person tell me, which one he prefer and why? i would be interesting it that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elia A. Calderan
Italy
San Dona' di Piave
VE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May I suggest the GBoH system (i.e. SPQR (Deluxe Edition), The Great Battles of Alexander: Deluxe Edition, et similia)? These two are quite expensive, although their price is totally worth, imho, so if you want to grasp the general flavour of this system you should try Caesar: Conquest of Gaul.

I think I'm in the same situation as yours: I really like wargames, I despise WWI[I] settings and I like a lot the ancient/pre-1800 setting.
Moreover, my friends aren't so eager for heavy wargames, so I must enjoy the plexiglas all by myself shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gesine Stanienda
Ireland
Galway
Galway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
panus wrote:
hi, do you already look for lost battles?

its should play solo pretty well, because of no hidden informations and the game plays most parts "itself". but you have to play both sides. on one side the mechanic is simple but because of a lot of extra paragraphs it makes the game pretty complicated and the rules are hard to read- specially if you are not a native english speaker like ME!!!
also in the game box is a game called empire. that is very easy and it is playable for 1-4 people (but you have to play 4 sides if you play it solo).
the components are great and beautiful to watch. Problem: you will not find it in online shops, it is sold out. but you can buy the book for the rules and make your own game material.

another one is ancient battles deluxe. it is easier than lost battles and very flexible/generetic however you call it. i dont have this game, because i am waiting for the gold banner edition - and i hope it will produce some day...

if there is somebody that played both games (solo), could that person tell me, which one he prefer and why? i would be interesting it that.

Hi Peter!
Yes, I had seen Lost Battles, but when I realized it was out of print and used copies were going for 100 Euro+ I didn't investigate any further. However: I didn't know you could buy the rule book and make your own materials. I will check this out. I will also check out ancient battles deluxe. Thanks very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gesine Stanienda
Ireland
Galway
Galway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
catraga wrote:
May I suggest the GBoH system (i.e. SPQR (Deluxe Edition), The Great Battles of Alexander: Deluxe Edition, et similia)? These two are quite expensive, although their price is totally worth, imho, so if you want to grasp the general flavour of this system you should try Caesar: Conquest of Gaul.

I think I'm in the same situation as yours: I really like wargames, I despise WWI[I] settings and I like a lot the ancient/pre-1800 setting.
Moreover, my friends aren't so eager for heavy wargames, so I must enjoy the plexiglas all by myself shake

Hi Elia,
thank you so much for your suggestions. I had come across the GBoH system, but so far the price has put me off. However, Caesar: Conquest of Gaul had completely slipped past me. I have read up on it now (thanks to you) and it seems like a really good candidate to look at

Yep, my gaming group is an RPG group (and we get together once a week for that), but they are not really into wargames, which is fine, of course, so I enjoy this hobby alone like you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.