Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the first game I've ever bought where I actually want to paint the miniatures. Usually I suffer with the basic grey and brown until I get sick of the game...but I have a feeling I'll be playing this one for quite a while and want to enhance it a bit.

I've seen some great examples on here about what people have done - and I've also seen some people's painting workshops with way more equipment and paints than I think I'll ever buy.

So, for someone who has zero equipment at start:
o can someone recommend a kit that has most of what's required in one quick easy purchase from somewhere?
o If not, what would be the minimum basic colors required to do a decent job on these?
o Can the paints be purchased at a normal art supply shop (If yes, I'll probably head out this afternoon; if not I'll probably have to do it on-line) or are the paints used for minis special?

Any advice appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skrebs
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this guy did a great job. I used his method and my results are just what I was looking for.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/43744/the-dip-method-a...

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
black with a dry brush silver on armour parts is great..+ dark dip in varnish

i've just done mine, i didn't know the real colours from the computer
game..

i tryed to make each "hero" a different colour to easily identify them.,

e.g red, green, blue,
and for the "monsters" basically black under coat +dry brush silver on armor then with pale skin parts and again a dip to protect and filling holes.

for the berk I used brown as his skin seemed thick and woody?

not the most advance painting but it adds to the game from the base plastic colour a little more life

also in my gallery are my mice and mystics and D&D Ravenloft etc..

trying to keep it simple a base coat and few key high lights.
skin, Armour and weapon,

someone said it needs to look good from arms length away when viewed when playing not up close.. :-) 30 cm rule..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. Looks like an awful lot of gear and time investment. I built a guitar from a kit a few years ago and did all the wood staining/treatment and this seems to be a lot more work - but then I guess it wouldn't be a art form / hobby all on its own if it wasn't challenging.

Just won my first game - attempt 2 at Emergence. Bloody addictive game. My boys deserve a little reward for that I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a couple brushes at thé art shop. You need maybe 3 different lenght, to experiment. Most people use are acrylics, 1$ a bottle. Get some basic colors, silver, and I lie copper as well. Then a small trey to mix colours. I use light grey or black primer first. Spray a thin coat. Too much will hide details. Primer help paint to stick.ou dont need anything else to start and experiment. Maybe go to the flgs and buy a couple plastic figs to try before messing around with the gears figs. When you are done with base colours, i paint some wood varnish in Light Brown shade. It's Best for speed painting. Now I dont do that anymore, I shade and highlight every fig manually. When you become more experimented, you will enjoy paints from citadel, rackham and games workshop. If you want to know how a zero artistic talent person paint figs, have a look at my pics from my profile (descent 1st ed).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Martin,
Are you from Montreal too? Do you know if they have the paints and stuff at Le Valet? I might be going there next weekend. Otherwise, I think Omer De Serres will probably have everything I need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.