Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Colpaert
Belgium
TEMSE
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've bought the old game and all its expansions? Is it worth the money?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy owning everything up to Heart of Doom (except a couple of promos angry ). Initially, Advance was tempting, but over time, glad I stuck with what I have. More money for other games laugh . All the added limitations (why can't you have 8 weapons in the Village or no weapons?) just turn me off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say absolutely! Trust me, the game plays and looks better while you can still use all of your original Thunderstone cards. You will find that you won't want to once you start playing. This coming from a guy who sleeved every friggin' card from every expansion!

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dion Baxter
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bought Advance (and both expansions) and I have ALL the base game + expansions and promos.

Personally I much prefer Advance. I've only played the original once since I bought it and I'm thinking of selling the complete set to make way for new games... I doubt that will happen though. Too many happy Thunderstone experiences

Advance has much better 'balance' and some interesting combos that appear often without realising!

Go on buy it...devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Colpaert
Belgium
TEMSE
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which of the 2 plays best solo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Shelton

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
I'm happy owning everything up to Heart of Doom (except a couple of promos angry ). Initially, Advance was tempting, but over time, glad I stuck with what I have. More money for other games laugh . All the added limitations (why can't you have 8 weapons in the Village or no weapons?) just turn me off.

Just to let you know- the board with the slots is to help provide a semi-random setup for people who get annoyed when the village is nothing but spells or weapons. There is no rule saying if you want to play with a completely random setup with no restrictions, you can't - feel free!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
neo.colpaert wrote:
Which of the 2 plays best solo?

I've only played Advance solo so I can't compare but it was ok. I've got LotR to handle that itch.

However, if you enjoy TS then I recommend TS:A. You can use your "old" cards with the new "Base Set". The only reason not to buy it would be if you just don't have the money cry. It would make a nice Secret Santa though, wouldn't it?

I hope you've tried the Prepare action in your games at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nlshelton wrote:
Just to let you know- the board with the slots is to help provide a semi-random setup for people who get annoyed when the village is nothing but spells or weapons. There is no rule saying if you want to play with a completely random setup with no restrictions, you can't - feel free!

"Shuffle the village randomizer cards. One at
a time, reveal a village randomizer, find the
matching stack of village cards, and place
it on the village board in one of the slots
indicated (for example, place the Longsword
in a Weapon slot). If you reveal a randomizer
and all of the slots of that card type have
already been filled, ignore it and reveal
another.
Keep doing this until you have 8
stacks of cards in the village (the village
board will not be full)." (p. 9)

emphasis mine

Seems to indicate otherwise and in the rulebook, hence a rule. Or have the rules changed in one of the Advance expansions? Not to mention if you don't stick to the limits on the Advance board, then it doesn't accommodate the cards, so the basic 4x4 grid is much more useful, turning the board useless (might as well use the Dungeon board from DS).

There are two things that hold interest for me in Advance over pre-Advance: Familiars and how Treasure is given. But not enough to make me invest in Advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Y

Lilburn
Georgia
msg tools
I would say that it is entirely based on your current situation with the game. If you are still playing the original constantly and find yourself wanting more to add replayability with new cards, then this is more. It's still, at its core, thunderstone, with a few streamlined/newbie friendly changes and some additional enhancements. If you are still playing the original and feel completely satisfied with what you have, then why bother? If you're tired of the original, then a reboot may be just what you want to rekindle interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
neo.colpaert wrote:
If you've bought the old game and all its expansions? Is it worth the money?

No. Not unless you have played the original so much that you are looking for new cards to use. The changes in Advance are minor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wootton
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
nlshelton wrote:

"Shuffle the village randomizer cards. One at
a time, reveal a village randomizer, find the
matching stack of village cards, and place
it on the village board in one of the slots
indicated (for example, place the Longsword
in a Weapon slot). If you reveal a randomizer
and all of the slots of that card type have
already been filled, ignore it and reveal
another.
Keep doing this until you have 8
stacks of cards in the village (the village
board will not be full)." (p. 9)

emphasis mine

Seems to indicate otherwise and in the rulebook, hence a rule. Or have the rules changed in one of the Advance expansions? Not to mention if you don't stick to the limits on the Advance board, then it doesn't accommodate the cards, so the basic 4x4 grid is much more useful, turning the board useless (might as well use the Dungeon board from DS).

We have not changed the rules. Though for the life of me I cannot see why anyone would want to use that rule if it spoiled the game for them. I mean, clearly the game was functionally balanced without having the board - that was never the issue. It was done because many people stated they disliked the skewed distributions that you could get of the various card types, and the board alleviates that to some extent. We have stated many times, on here, that we wanted to create a toolkit that players could use.

If you feel that you need a rules validation to play the game the way you want, I am entirely happy to state here, for the record, that from a rules perspective it is entirely appropriate to not use the board or the the board's per card type limits to create a random game of Thunderstone, if the players in the game do not want to do it. Heck, I guess I could get that statement added to the next rulebook, if needs be.

I think we just assumed that players would play the game they wanted to and see the board as an assist to their enjoyment - not a barrier to it.

Really, go ahead and play the game the way that is most fun for you

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Shelton

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Har1equin wrote:
Really, go ahead and play the game the way that is most fun for you

Mark

This is what I was getting at when I said what I said. If there is a part which they suggest and that you think is awful and would be better the old way, there is nothing keeping you from playing it like that! Go ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.