Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
I wanted seek the general audiences view point (Especially my dearest comment-er) on the recent run up in price for Devils Cauldron ,published by MMP.

In june of '08 the product was selling for $134-$135. By the last transaction I saw here was on the 19th for $399. Yes nearly tripled in price. I'm guessing preorder was 120?

I understand the print run was short (500?), I also understand many prefer this game over Where Eagles Dare (volume2), which has not increased in price much on a relative basis, in fact it was just on sale for $95!

So IF DC/WED were to come out as a combined reprint (there was some chatter about that recently) what will that do to the stand alone price of DC? Will it fall? By how much? Is that an opportunity for Collectors to score a copy that they initially missed out on?

Or for players who want to play it but not pay $400+ for it on ebay to have an opportunity to acquire it for a more reasonable price.

Is a combined republish a value add ? Is there demand for it? Curious minds want to know.

Which leads me to thinking about the potential value of the module(s) for MMP's next Grand Tactical Series game the
23 map D-day/Overlord..oh my Lord! game from the same series.

One is almost forced to order just in case it is awesome, and playable to avoid the sort of cost inflation that has occurred with DC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only way I would buy this series is as a combo-reprint. But I want the entire campaign. I don;t like buying/playing games by piecemeal. I am just resigned at this point that I will never own these games, nor the yet to come Overlord series. I am content to get my Market Garden fix with HttR and my Overlord fix with BfN. I don't play smaller scenarios of these games, only the whole enchilada. So I wouldn't spend the money to buy only a "scenario" of the campaign. Give me the whole thing or nothing at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:
I understand the print run was short (500?),

So IF DC/WED were to come out as a combined reprint (there was some chatter about that recently) what will that do to the stand alone price of DC? Will it fall? By how much? Is that an opportunity for Collectors to score a copy that they initially missed out on?

Or for players who want to play it but not pay $400+ for it on ebay to have an opportunity to acquire it for a more reasonable price.

What makes you say the print run was short? Glancing at the game page I see 650 owners here. I haven't seen anything to indicate that the print run was any other length than most MMP releases.

As long as MMP has copies of Where Eagles Dare go, and is putting them on sale for $95, I think I'm pretty safe in saying that the interest in reprinting The Devil's Cauldron: The Battles for Arnhem and Nijmegen is pretty low. I know Adam is interest in a combined reprint, but I can't see any advantage from MMP's perspective. The price point would probably be close to $300, and anyone who has a copy of either WED or TDC wouldn't be interested. I would think that the smart thing would be to just reprint WED. I really don't think a game priced what would be required for the combined components is sellable.

Reprints of OCS titles have not been brisk sellers, and I suspect this appeals to the same crowd. I'm sure TDC will be reprinted someday, but given MMP's queue I wouldn't expect it in the next several years. If you want to play it, buy it now. If you're a collector, the reprint will be along eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
I own one of the titles. I'd buy a combined set to round things off.
So it was 650 not 500. The point is the initial run was not say 1,000 copies like some GMT titles. The Pre order is 480 or so right? So I assume 500.

Lots of MMP buyers buy 2 or 3 copies, so the total number of owners is likely 500+. But I hear ya man. Just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:
So it was 650 not 500. The point is the initial run was not say 1,000 copies like some GMT titles.

If 650 BGG users have it marked as owned, then 650 is a lower bound on the number of owners. There are a lot of BGG users who don't enter their collections here, and there are a lot of wargamers who don't use BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
bwingrave wrote:
hipshot wrote:
So it was 650 not 500. The point is the initial run was not say 1,000 copies like some GMT titles.

If 650 BGG users have it marked as owned, then 650 is a lower bound on the number of owners. There are a lot of BGG users who don't enter their collections here, and there are a lot of wargamers who don't use BGG.

Good point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect the print run was 3,000. Can't seem to remember where I got that number from, but a lot of the costs of a production run are in the set up, not on a per unit basis. I can't see any rational basis for producing less than that. I'd bet that the number of copies printed was exactly the same as WED. I expect their typical buyer patronizes CSW a lot more than BGG (that's where Brian Youse spends his time), so I expect the number of copies listed here to be much less than the total number of copies printed.

If both copies had been out of print for roughly the same amount of time reprinting both at the same time might make sense, but not if one has only been out of print for a couple of years.

Offhand the only larger title (not counting asl starter kits) that MMP reprinted relatively quickly was DAK2, and that was 7 years after the first. They've got so much stuff in the queue to reprint one game means pushing something else out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.