Subject: Another Start-up Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Pelfrey
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi - I am looking to purchase DoD and an assault squad per side. If I purchase the squad packs at a later date, will I receive duplicates of the characters/soldiers that I received in the teams? I have read that there are many different individuals and this seems unlikely to occur, just want a little assurance before dropping the starting cash.

For what it's worth, I'm in. I played a demo at BGGCon and was sold on the spot. Looking to maximize initial playability with my playing group to get their interest and then sinking more later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce E. Schwark
United States
Manitowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You should see no duplication unless one were to buy 2 DoD games where the "characters" are required for the story. I expect it is possible to get 2 soldiers with the same name, but their player cards should be different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pelfrey
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks for the quick reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMOS BURKE
United Kingdom
WALSALL
WEST MIDLANDS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No you should not DoD comes with four charaters which is the same in every box but only the box
Harrison
Fields
Maier
Dreher

Amos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ganshaw
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Characters are always unique. As it stands now, they just come in starter sets (Day of Days). When it comes to soldiers, you may get duplication in the name of a soldier, but the stats will always be different. Even if you were to buy two Assault teams, the mix of soldiers would be the same, but the names and status will be different. Every soldier in the game is an individual and so different from every other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Boyd
United States
flag msg tools
Yup, that's me. By John Kovalic.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add my two cents. Although it's theoretically possible to get a soldier with the same name & stats as another, his serial number would still be unique. The odds of getting one with the same name, stats & action cards would be so astronomical, as to be practically impossible. So you do not need to worry about duplicates (aside from, as mentioned, the named characters that so far only appear in Day of Days).

Welcome to SMG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pelfrey
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone, I appreciate the info and the welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Although it's theoretically possible to get a soldier with the same name & stats as another,

According to Jeff, no it's not.

Same name? Possibly. There are only 200+ names in each nationality's DB, so some dupes will happen. Same stats? Nope. Jeff's design math has it so that the combination of states and cards are, literally, unique from one soldier to another. Talk to him about it if you want more-- I've just explained as much as I understand. But he's been extremely clear about that part since this all began.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Boyd
United States
flag msg tools
Yup, that's me. By John Kovalic.
mbmbmbmbmb
I stand corrected. With only 13 stats to a soldier card, I just assumed that duplicates were inevitable. When the action cards are taken into consideration, though, the possible combinations become virtually limitless...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pelfrey
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received DoD and two squad packs today. I'm very excited. I allowed myself a moment to look through the parts and break the shrink; had to put it away until I'm done with work. Ugh! That pesky work...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMOS BURKE
United Kingdom
WALSALL
WEST MIDLANDS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just remember my freind it's work that help you buy this game

It will be more exciting opening after work anyway
hope you enjoy playing it laugh

Amos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pelfrey
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alrighty, I have the box open and there is much happiness in the house. Couple of questions...

1. Is it generally accepted to super glue the fig to the base?
2. What is the general thought on sleeving the cards? I see they are coated, mostly thinking about some added thickness for handling.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMOS BURKE
United Kingdom
WALSALL
WEST MIDLANDS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi
Yer i found the glue dot expands and the figures tilts so i glue them on and flocked and add a bit of grass or rock.

Also i have my characters and their cards in a sleeve
for ease of picking sqauds but not all sleeved.

Amos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Balaz
United States
Manchester
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
I always thought this was a great idea that could really deepen gameplay and look really good on the table. The glue dots are necessary for the game to be considered "ready to play", but quite a few have gone with superglue after the dots give out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.