Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which is the better trick taking game in your opinion? Why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Chronicle, but Tichu is fantastic. I really like team-based trick-taking game like Forty-Fives. Tichu adds some more depth by adding bombs, it's a climbing game (so you need follow the hand, not necessarily the suit which can force people to play suboptimally), and it introduces a few really interesting power cards (like the Dog, which gives your partner the trick, and the Phoenix, which acts as a wild card but is worth negative points if you use it). Add a nice betting mechanic to the whole thing and you get a very solid game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hiimjosh wrote:
I haven't played Chronicle, but Tichu is fantastic. I really like team-based trick-taking game like Forty-Fives. Tichu adds some more depth by adding bombs, it's a climbing game (so you need follow the hand, not necessarily the suit which can force people to play suboptimally), and it introduces a few really interesting power cards (like the Dog, which gives your partner the trick, and the Phoenix, which acts as a wild card but is worth negative points if you use it). Add a nice betting mechanic to the whole thing and you get a very solid game.

Clarification: The Dog gives your partner the lead, not the trick. And the Phoenix is worth negative points to the side winning it in the trick. You can use it without penalty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myoman wrote:

I love Tichu, and play it a lot. I just now re-read a few threads about Chronicle and will be including it in my next order. I can get two Tichu decks for $10; a Chronicle deck is $6.50. Why not have both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David Vander Ark wrote:
Myoman wrote:

I love Tichu, and play it a lot. I just now re-read a few threads about Chronicle and will be including it in my next order. I can get two Tichu decks for $10; a Chronicle deck is $6.50. Why not have both?

That's an odd comparison. My wife loves Tichu, but I love Chronicle. Tichu is closer to a traditional partnership trick-taking game, while Chronicle has no partnerships. Chronicle has special powers for every card and can become pretty chaotic. It's not completely random, it's what I think has been best called "controlled chaos", but Tichu is probably more strategic in the long term. I think Chronicle is the trick-taking game for people who don't like trick-taking games. Chronicle is definitely one of my favorite new (to me) games I've played in 2012.

I think for the price of each game it's worth it to have them both. You'd definitely pull them out under different circumstances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Chapman
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Anyway, how's your sex life?
badge
"She said the same thing about waffles."
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both. Tichu is better on the assumption you can play with four.

Any other rulesets included are pointless. You have to play Tichu with four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.