Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Danube 20» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Wagram 20 solo replay: the first day of battle (an illustrated AAR) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David McKenna
msg tools
Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?
mbmbmbmbmb

Introduction

Round about the end of September, I did an AAR on the battle of Aspern-Essling: one of the two games included in the Danube 20 game. As happened historically, that resulted in a marginal Austrian victory. The historical notes on the game tell us that, stung by that set-back, the Emperor began planning another effort to get his forces over the Danube, resulting in the battle of Wagram 6 weeks later: the second-largest battle of the Napoleonic wars, and one of Napoleon’s last great triumphs. Let’s see if this replay will give us the same result …

situation at start of game (I, II and IV are in hexes 1003, 1203 and 1403 respectively)

Turn 1: July 05, Pre-dawn (French morale 8, Austrian morale 6)

4a and 3a both move off Lobau, with all other forces on the island re-arranging their positions, and with Guard moving towards the island

Situation at end of turn 1

Turn 2: July 05, Morning (French morale 8, Austrian morale 6)

(random event = “Avec Moi, Mes Amis!” May commit reserves, for free, to one battle)
3a moves to Wittau, with 2 moving to Muhleiten. 9 then moves to the redoubt outside Essling, with 3b moving to the other side of the same bridge. Next, Dragoons move west of Muhleiten, and both Guard and Res cavalry move onto Lobau Island.

4a commits reserves (for free) against AG, forcing AG to withdraw and advancing after combat into Gross-Enzerdorf.

(random event = “Confusion and uncertainty” All units have -1 MA)
Only a single unit is released: V, who moves onto the road outside Jedlersdorf. Res 2 then moves to Aderklaa as grenadiers move onto the road between Aderklaa and Florisdorf. Finally, Res 1 moves towards Florisdorf (along the road).

AG (is forced to) attack 4a, but are routed 4 hexes (-1 Austrian morale) with 4a advancing after combat.

Situation at end of turn 2

Turn 3: July 05, Mid-day (French morale 8, Austrian morale 5)

(random event = “Vive l’Empereur!” May spend 1 morale point without paying the cost)
3a crosses to Wittau as Dragoons move through Gross-Enzersdorf, and as 2a moves into that location. Guard and Res cav then both move towards Muhleiten, with Grenadiers arriving and moving towards Lobau Island.

4a and 9 combine (with 9 committing reserves for free) with Artillery support from Lobau to attack VIb (in Essling), forcing VIb to withdraw: a result which they may ignore.

(random event = “Let us leave this field of death!” No effect this early)
Again, Charles only releases a single unit: III, who move SW to the woods outside Bisamberg. Res 1 then moves along the road through Florisdorf with V moving into that location and with both Grenadiers and Res 2 moving towards it along the road through Leopoldau.

VIb opts not to attack (able to do so as in fortified terrain)

Situation at end of turn 3

Turn 4: July 05, Afternoon (French morale 8, Austrian morale 5)

(random event = “They’re not beaten yet!” +1 Austrian morale)
French player spends a morale point (-1 French morale) to force march his troops, allowing Dragoons to move to Glinzendorf, 2a to move to aid in the upcoming attack on VIb (in essling), 3a to move north towards Raasdorf, Guard to move NE of 4a, Res to move south of 3a, Greandiers to move to the bridge off Lobau Island, and the newly arrived 11 to move onto that island.

2a, 4a, Lobau island batteries and 9 all combine to attack VIb, routing them 5 (or 6-1) hexes (-1 Austrian morale). The 1st of these is a hazardous retreat, which VIb fails and so breaks instead (+1 French morale). 9 then advances after combat into Essling.

(random event = “Archduke Charles” VIb rallies at the LoC outside Leopoldsdorf)
IV is released, moving north of Glinzendorf, with AG and VIb also heading towards that location. Res 2 then heads back towards Aderklaa, Res 1 moves towards Aspern, V and Grenadiers both move towards Stadlau, and (finally) III moves to the road leading to Florisdorf.

Dragoons disengage, moving south to do so.

Situation at end of turn 4

Turn 5: July 05, Dusk (French morale 8, Austrian morale 5)

(random event = “Even the simplest things are difficult” Associated roll = units of a different type may not combine in a battle)
Dragoons and Res cav both move to engage AG, with 3a moving to Raasdorf. 2a, 9 and 3b all then move to attack VIa (in Aspern), with 11 crossing the bridge into the fortified terrain outside Essling. Grand battery arrives, moving to Lobau Island, with Grenadiers moving to Enzersdorf. Finally, Guard moves to essling and 4a moves north, south-west of Raasdorf.

2a, 9 and 3b all combine to attack VIa, routing VIa 5 hexes (another 6-1) back towards Gerasdorf (-1 Austrian morale). The first of these is a hazardous retreat, which VIa passes and 9 then advances after combat. Dragoons and Res cav attack AG, forcing AG to withdraw, with Res cav losing command control and advancing after combat.

(random event = “Intelligence Gathering” Look at next card = “My tenth legion”)
Archduke John arrives on the field of battle (+1 Austrian morale), moving towards Leopoldsdorf, as VIb moves to engage Dragoons and as II moves down to Baumersdorf. V then moves into Stadlau, Grenadiers move to Breitenlee, Res 2 moves north of AG, (routed)VIa moves to Aderklaa and III moves towards Florisdorf.

Dragoons counter-charge VIb, forcing VIb to withdraw (along the road) and also advancing after combat. Reserves then penetrate east, into Glinzendorf.

VIb attacks Dragoons, forcing Dragoons to withdraw (also back along road), and also advancing after combat. IV attacks Reserves (who are now surrounded) in Glinzendorf, with Reserves committing their own reserves (-1 French morale), forcing the attackers to withdraw and retaining command control. Res 1 attacks 0, but are broken outright (+1 French morale, -1 Austrian morale)

Situation at end of turn 5

Turn 6: July 05, Evening (French morale 8, Austrian morale 4)

(random event = “My tenth legion” French player chooses to give +1 MA to 3a and 3b)
(bridges now built)
3a uses that free extra movement to move to attack VIa (in Aderklaa), while 3b uses it to move to engage Grenadiers (in Breitenlee). 9 and 2 then both move to attack V (in Stadlau), with 4a moving to aid 3b in the upcoming attack on Grenadiers. Guard then moves to Aspern, with Grenadiers to their west (along the road), 11 moves into Essling and Grand Battery moves onto Lobau island proper.

Res cav and Dragoons combine against VIb, forcing them to withdraw along the road, with Dragoons then advancing after combat. 3a attacks VIa, forcing VIa to withdraw, and advancing into Aderklaa. 3a and 4b attack Grenadiers, also forcing Grenadiers to withdraw, with 4a then advancing into Breitenlee. Finally, 2a and 9 attack V, breaking V outright (+1 French morale, -1 Austrian morale), with 9 advancing into Stadlau.

(random event = “Voltigeurs” During reaction phase, French player can have 1 infantry unit conduct a selective attack. Yes, I am using the 13th card!)
I is released, moving down the road to attack 3a, with II and res 2 also both moving to do the same. III moves south to the road between Florisdorf and Stadlau. AG and IV then both move to attack Res cav, with Archduke John continuing his advance along the road past Glinzendorf.

Dragoons disengage, moving south-west. Res cav counter-charge AG, routing AG 4 hexes (another -1 Austrian morale) and retaining command control. 3a attacks Res 2, forcing Res 2 to withdraw and advancing after combat so they are no longer surrounded by enemy ZoCs.

II and Res 2 combine to attack 3a, who commit reserves (-1 French morale) but are still forced to withdraw, with Res 2 retaining command control and II advancing after combat. IV attacks res cav, forcing Res cav to withdraw, and advancing into Glizendorf. Finally, Grenadiers attack 4a but are forced to withdraw (-1 Austrian morale for elite unable to advance), with 4a opting to hold ground.

Situation at end of turn 6

Turn 7: July 05, Night (French morale 8, Austrian morale 1)

(random event = “Le Pas de Charge”. No effect at night)
3b moves to the road between Florisdorf and Breitenlee with Guard, Grenadiers and 11 all moving along their road. Grand Battery moves off Lobau Island, Res cav moves to Raasdorf and Dragoons move south-west.

The French army then ragains a morale point (+1 French morale) from rest.

(random event = “True to it’s old renown” Austrian player chooses Grenadiers to gain +1 combat str this and Fr player next combat phase)
VIa and I both move north-west. AG moves onto the road between Wagram and Aderklaa, with IV remaining in Glinzendorf and VIb and John moving down their road.

Res 1 is then eliminated for good as is V, with the Austrians then regaining 2 morale points (+2 Austrian morale) from rest.

Situation at end of turn 7

Click here to advance to the second day of battle

OR

Click here to advance to the second day of battle (played properly!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David

Great AAR as ussual

One thing-I think you meant to say on Turn 5 Archduke John arrived on the field and not Charles(and yes the Reference Sheet is wrong showing the Au AJ & Leader John on Turn 4)

Did you make the die roll for the AJ 2-2 entry on Turn 5? I didn't see you mentioning it and they do have to enter via a 6 dr(Just wanting to make sure).

Looking forward to the rest of the battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McKenna
msg tools
Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
One thing-I think you meant to say on Turn 5 Archduke John arrived on the field and not Charles

Fixed! (And that's what I get for speed typing!)

Quote:
Did you make the die roll for the AJ 2-2 entry on Turn 5? I didn't see you mentioning it and they do have to enter via a 6 dr(Just wanting to make sure).

Yep!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured you did but wanted to make sure.

I'm really looking forward to Day 2 coming up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.