David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there have been dozens of storage ideas, and using the 5231 Plano box is far from unique. In fact I bought it because when I bought my second base set, Amazon recommended it as something others have bought, but I am using homemade foam inserts with this box to add a little more protection. And when I have seen foam inserts used with this box, it is the battle foam inserts cut to fit the box, and it leaves no room for Wave 2. This set up leaves plenty of room for wave two.

As you can see below, I am putting all of the Rebel ships (save the Falcon) in the top layer. There is room for 4 X-wings, 2 Y-wings, and 2 A-wings along with all of the tokens, templates, dice, and Rebel dials and base cards.

The Foam inserts are nothing fancy, but they hold the ships steady so they don’t rattle around in the hard plastic. They are easy to make and a full sheet of 1” x 14” x 14” foam only cost $2 at Hobby Lobby.

In the lower level I have room for the six TIEs I have. I don’t think I’ll ever want to field 8 TIEs, but if I do, there is plenty of room for them as well as another Advance TIE and two Interceptors at least.

And the mighty Falcon. By my calculations the Falcon will be just under 4” in length. The Slave I is shorter than that. This means each ship will fit nicely in the large compartments.

The total cost for this storage solution is less than $15. Obviously no one knows about wave 3 yet, so I can’t see myself spending $50 for storage when I will just need more in a year.

***Edit***

This is how the top layer looks currently:

Many people have posted in the forums that they want to be able to max build each ship, meaning you need 4 X-wings, 5 Y-wings, and 5 A-wings. I’m not doing that. I think 2 A-wings will be fine for me, and in all the builds I’ve thought of in my head, I am rarely using more than 1. There is a 5 ship rebel build with three A-wings and 2 X-wings that I may want to try, and I’m sure when Amazon loses its mind again in a couple months and the expansion ships are at 8 bucks again, I might pick up another one, but 2 is okay for now. But if you wanted five A-wings, they would fit in the top layer if you moved the second set of movement templates down to the bottom. Both Range finders and 5 movement template needs to stay in the long tray up top.

The major change to the bottom layer is the foam I bought. I only won an Interceptor from the Kessel run I went to, but I was able to lay both the Falcon and Salve I on the foam block I had to confirm they will fit. I was just too stupid to snap a picture.

Because of an indent in the bottom of the large compartment, the foam block does not sit on the floor of the compartment, so it leaves a nice gap to put the pilot cards and can also hold the upgrade cards if I wanted to clear more room for extra TIEs and Interceptors.

In this picture you can kind of see that I have two foam blocks in each of these compartments to hold the smaller imperial ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
She wore! She wore! She wore a yellow ribbon! She wore a yellow ribbon in the merry month of May, And when I asked her why she wore that ribbon,
badge
She said, "It's for the Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!" Wembley! Wembley! We’re the famous Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The 37th storage solution
Looks good. I like the foam as a space filler. I leaning towards this solution.

What about the depth? The Slave I in particular looks like it could be too deep/tall to fit. The Falcon might be thin enough, assuming that the peg doesn't stick out very far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
vantageGT wrote:

What about the depth? The Slave I in particular looks like it cold be too deep/tall to fit. The Falcon might be thin enough, assuming that the peg doesn't stick out very far.

While it is by no means an exact measurement, at 17:30 of this video:
http://boardgamegeek.com/video/22489/star-wars-x-wing-miniat...
It looks like the Slave I is no taller than a standard Base on its side. Right now I store the bases on their side in the lower level and their is about a half inch of clearance. We won't know for sure until it comes out.

However, the stats I can find say that Slave I is 7.8 meters tall which translates to about 1.15" and the lower level is about two inches deep. So again, it looks like there is room for maybe two of them in one of those compartments if you spoon them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Piqsid wrote:
that Slave I is 7.8 meters tall

holy cow, now they're making miniatures!

I'm not even gonna touch the spooning Slave I ...

btw, nice storage, I may have to get that too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice work and detail. This is the first time I've been tempted to switch over to the Plano method. If the Falcon and Slave-1 do indeed fit and there's still room for all the cards, I think I'll even make the switch.

If the larger ships won't fit at all or there's no room for also keeping the cards in there, then I'll be more hesitant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I now have 18 ships in my Plano, with all cards etc. I think I will have room for all the Wave 2 I plan to get as well (1 Falcon, 1 Slave 1, 4 Interceptors and 3 A-wings) I should be able to re-arrange some things to fit them. If I have to get a separate box for the cards, or put the big ships separately I might.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malek
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm now using a slight modification of your layout and it works great! Thanks for posting this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
private_caspar wrote:
I'm now using a slight modification of your layout and it works great! Thanks for posting this.

I'm hoping in the next week or two to post a picture of the Falcon and Slave I in the large lower compartments to confirm they fit. Even if I don't win one in the Kessel Run, the stores I visit said they would let people examine the ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Perrella
United States
Anoka
Minnesota
flag msg tools
with a purposeful grimace
badge
and a terrible sound
mbmbmbmbmb
The Fantasy Flight Games Event Center has all the Wave 2 models in a display case. They'd probably let someone measure them (if I can get down there in the next week or so) or maybe someone there already measured them?

[geekurl=http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_npm.asp?eidm=13]FFGEC[/geekurl]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
She wore! She wore! She wore a yellow ribbon! She wore a yellow ribbon in the merry month of May, And when I asked her why she wore that ribbon,
badge
She said, "It's for the Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!" Wembley! Wembley! We’re the famous Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!
mbmbmbmbmb
Piqsid wrote:
vantageGT wrote:

What about the depth? The Slave I in particular looks like it cold be too deep/tall to fit. The Falcon might be thin enough, assuming that the peg doesn't stick out very far.

While it is by no means an exact measurement, at 17:30 of this video:
http://boardgamegeek.com/video/22489/star-wars-x-wing-miniat...
It looks like the Slave I is no taller than a standard Base on its side. Right now I store the bases on their side in the lower level and their is about a half inch of clearance. We won't know for sure until it comes out.

However, the stats I can find say that Slave I is 7.8 meters tall which translates to about 1.15" and the lower level is about two inches deep. So again, it looks like there is room for maybe two of them in one of those compartments if you spoon them.

Yep, you appear to be correct. I'm sold on this. I'm also thinking about ordering some of that Pick 'n Pluck foam (like this), which could be perfect for this. I'm sick of playing out of two core set boxes and a couple gallon size zip lock bags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This post eventually convinced me to abandon my two-starter box storage system in favor of this grab-n-go Plano case. Playing games is so much easier now and set up takes far less time. Thanks to the OP for convincing me!

I grabbed the case for $9.99 at Menard's (it was about twice that price or more at many other places, including online).

The biggest changes I've made to the set-up:

(1) FFG's plastic ship wells: if you've saved the plastic ship wells the X-Wings, TIE Advanced, Y-Wings (and future A-Wing and Interceptors) came in, you can trim those down with a scissors so that the plastic well can fit into the slots of the Plano case. This prevents ship rattling drastically and requires no extra cost (it's also a lot easier than cutting custom foam bracers).

(2) The cards -- making a new well: I couldn't figure out how to fit the ship and upgrade cards into the case, and ultimately settled on cutting out / grinding out one of the permanent walls in the case to make a new area big enough for all the bagged cards. If you do try this on your own, please use patience, the right tools, and extreme caution. Just hacking at it with an exacto would be quite dangerous.

(3) Traveling light: I carry with me the minimal amount of ID tokens and ship/upgrade cards to save on space (for instance, I only have two Red Squadron Pilots and one Marksmanship in the case, with all the extra ID tokens, target locks, cards, etc. being in a Core Set box if I ever need 'em.

(4) Wave 3 and Beyond: This is only a solution for Wave 1 + 2. When Wave 3 hits, I think a second case will be mandatory (luckily they're so cheap). Especially because there's no way to get anymore big ships in one case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:

(1) FFG's plastic ship wells: if you've saved the plastic ship wells the X-Wings, TIE Advanced, Y-Wings (and future A-Wing and Interceptors) came in, you can trim those down with a scissors so that the plastic well can fit into the slots of the Plano case. This prevents ship rattling drastically and requires no extra cost (it's also a lot easier than cutting custom foam bracers).

I have kept my ship wells and I will have to try that out. I already have the foam blocks made, but the platic looks cleaner to take them in and out.

RogueThirteen wrote:

(2) The cards -- making a new well: I couldn't figure out how to fit the ship and upgrade cards into the case, and ultimately settled on cutting out / grinding out one of the permanent walls in the case to make a new area big enough for all the bagged cards. If you do try this on your own, please use patience, the right tools, and extreme caution. Just hacking at it with an exacto would be quite dangerous.

I will probably find that my cards don't fit underneath my large foam block either once I get all the Wave 2 cards, but right now I just have one interceptor, so they fit.

RogueThirteen wrote:

(3) Traveling light: I carry with me the minimal amount of ID tokens and ship/upgrade cards to save on space (for instance, I only have two Red Squadron Pilots and one Marksmanship in the case, with all the extra ID tokens, target locks, cards, etc. being in a Core Set box if I ever need 'em.

Definitely. I have about half of the cardboard tokens sill unpunched in the basement. Over New Years I played my Nephew and he ran 2 TIE Advanced against my 4 ship Rebel build with 1 Y-wing and I had just enough Shields tokens, so If I had run both of my Y-Wings, I would have been short so I need to put one more in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:

Crud. I literally just threw mine out last night and they went out with the trash this morning.

Great idea, though. I totally copied Piqsid's setup myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat Wombat's laser turrets are pretty awesome btw

and cheap too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Aronovici
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mb
Very pretty! I too was thinking of cutting out the plastic shell casing from the expansion packs and using that to house the ships in the plano or both storage boxes.

I plan on buying four more expansion (one of each again), so I'll have to upgrade the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Q
msg tools
Check out http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/913155/storage-another-vote-... for some more examples of how to set up the plano.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.