Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was not pleased with my experience of playing this game solo with 3 heroes. The game will stay in my game cabinet until there are at least 3 people to play. I find there's way too much to remember if not using the chits and way too much to check on when playing with the chits. I kind of admire the multi-tasking of anyone who can play solo and keep track of five things at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which boss were ou fighting against?

In any case try it 2-3 times and you will see it becomes waaay easier

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
While I don't disagree, I would like to offer different perspective. Your experience may in part be related to the selection of heroes/villain. My son, at age 9, could handle 3 heroes playing solo against Baron Blade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:
Which boss were ou fighting against?

In any case try it 2-3 times and you will see it becomes waaay easier

Why does it matter which boss? Won't three still be 3 heroes and an environment and a villain to track? I don't have the game in front of me but the villain was rated level 1 and so were all 3 heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Huntington
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play solo a lot, and the most important thing to do is to go through the villain cards in order, since that's usually where things get bogged down. For the villain himself, I will sometimes keep a pad of paper nearby so I can keep track of buffs/rebuffs etc.

The tokens do help, and keeping track of what goes off at the start of turn and end of turn will come with a few more plays. Like Nushura said above, it does become a lot easier with a little more practice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
I agree there's a lot to remember. I found battling against Spite to be quite aggravating.
I gave up using the Life tokens on heroes and villains, but instead use the pen and paper for accounting. I use the life tokens to track life of everything else in the game.

Hope you get three players soon. When you do get your buddies, play the game a bunch and try returning to it as a solo effort.
Repeated plays will obviously familiarize you to the decks and abilities.

Don't wait too long though, the game's theme and narrative is such a fun experience to put on pause!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I routinely play 4 heroes solo, yeah I forget some stuff sometimes but I still have fun playing it and making out a story as I go.

Sorry you had a bad experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the game but I agree that solo play is a bit tedious. For one thing there is a lot of bookkeeping to be done, and having perfect knowledge of all the heroes hands gives a feel that you're watching the story unfold rather than the cooperative feel of participating in a group that comes with multiple players. Then again, some people like watching the story unfold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:

Why does it matter which boss? Won't three still be 3 heroes and an environment and a villain to track? I don't have the game in front of me but the villain was rated level 1 and so were all 3 heroes.

Well, some bosses (regardless of their rating) have many thigns to remember while others (like plague rat) have few things to remember

I suggest you start with easy bosses/heroes and build it up. Prectice maske you a master!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:
rickert wrote:

Well, some bosses (regardless of their rating) have many thigns to remember while others (like plague rat) have few things to remember

I suggest you start with easy bosses/heroes and build it up. Prectice maske you a master!!

I previously stated that I used the villain and heroes who were rated as the easiest by the game manufacturer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
rickert wrote:
I previously stated that I used the villain and heroes who were rated as the easiest by the game manufacturer.

For villains, "easiest" means "easiest to defeat", not "easiest to keep track of in your head by yourself in a game meant for multiple people".

Likewise, for heroes, "easiest" means "most straightforward to play", not "has the fewest ongoing effects to remember".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve zhang
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received my copy of "everything" from my FLGS and had 3 games throughout the entire day, all using 3 heroes, and I must say I LOVE this game. It is my go-to solo game now, and given all the expansions, I think it will last me for a year at least.

The bookkeeping is not that tedious to me. Sure, once in a while you may miss out one of the effects, but they are not game-breaking as long as if you can immerse in the fun. I became totally comfortable with all the bits and bites by the third game, and I can't wait to get off work to have a few more games tonight. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.