Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Bryce
United States
Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got more games than I can count but rarely write my own rules. For me, this game seemed to desperately need some rule tweaks. I like the light nature of the game but the inability to get bunnies caused situations where some people simply couldn't even play. Being locked out of the game didn't really fit with the lighthearted theme so I first thought to make a tweak to change that. Since I was already at it, I decided to tweak some of the other bits that made the game lag.

In short, my rule tweaks do the following:
1) increase the ability to get bunnies
2) decrease the complete randomness of the magic carrot (while preserving the spirit of it having some limited game swing)
3) adjust a couple other rules to smooth out what we saw as some rough patches.

I realize that some folks like the game as-is and kudos! This variant won't be for everyone but I've found it to be a huge improvement so wanted to share. Also, I've re-purposed some other ideas and combined them here so all credit to others who have laid the framework!

Without further ado, here is my Killer Bunnies Killer Rule Variant (or how I learned to stop getting frustrated with no-show bunnies and enjoy the game).

a 2-5 player variant
Setup:
•Sort cards by separating cards into two stacks
a. One bunnies stack
b. One non-bunnies stack
•Deal a starting hand of 2 bunnies and 5 non-bunnies to each player
•Take the remaining bunnies and a roughly equal number of non-bunny cards and shuffle them together. Put this on top of the remaining non-bunny cards. This forms your draw pile.
•Deal 2 milk and 2 radish tokens to each player

Gameplay:
•Can skip a turn to
o Discard all cards and draw 5 cards
and/or
o Re-arrange run cards with cards in hand
•Can buy dead bunnies from a “Bunny Graveyard”
o When a bunny dies or is discarded, put that bunny in a separate face up discard area called the “Bunny Graveyard”
o Once before any other actions during a player’s turn, players can look through the bunny graveyard and buy one bunny for 5 dolla
o If a player buys a dead bunny, they do not draw a replacement card that turn

Scoring:
• Bunnies in play worth 1
• Carrots worth 2
• Magic carrot worth 5

Notes:
• For more than 5 players, start with 1 bunny / 1 radish / 1 milk instead of 2

This has dramatically increased the number of rabbits that come into play but they still die as intended so the game doesn't end in just a few minutes. The desire to keep ALL your bunnies alive increases instead of just keeping one alive at the end. It is, of course, fruitless, but since they are worth points, we tend to love them all a little bit more. The surprise factor of the magic carrot still exists but it also doesn't swing the game as dramatically. Overall, we love it and while many of you love the game as-is, I do hope any other folks who shared the problems I listed above enjoy this as much as we now do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a much easier way.

Get a second base set.

Add only the bunnies from the second set to the first set. Throw away the rest of the cards from the second base set. You will never use them.

Play as normal.

Plenty of bunnies to go around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Noonan
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rygel wrote:
Get a second base set.

And reward the makers of this extremely annoying game? No thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.