Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
So we played this game a lot, and I wondering, how to balance this game. Cause if you are a cylon, you just smile like the devil, and you know you will win this game after 3 hours.
Yesterday we played this game with modified values, we added one point for population, fuel, moral and food.
The humans lost again, the centurions broke in. (Of course there were other problems too, way to much human in the brig, etc.)

This was my umpteen game, and I never felt that this game is hard for cylons. They just wait, and the several disasters will destroy the ship with or without them anyway.

The truth is that we really enjoy this game at the first two hours, but the end is always sad.

So my idea is there should be plus two point for every two value, and we should take out a few cylon fleet attack crisis card. So the Galactica should be stronger, and the bad guys should be more smart and busy to make damages.

What do you think, what do you suggest?

Linked topics are welcomed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
Oh, one more thing. Last week I played with Pegasus for the first time, I was a cylon, and the humans won. They played very well, but I almost won.
That was the first time I felt that this was a fair game.

Although I don't want to buy the Pegasus for myself, I want to reach the fair play with the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread might help you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bastion wrote:
Although I don't want to buy the Pegasus for myself, I want to reach the fair play with the base game.

I think with skilled players on all sides the base-game is pretty well balanced with either 5 players (or 6 with the No-Sympathizer variant).

The skilled players bit is important - with beginners all around the game does favor the Cylons, but as players get more experienced they learn to play more effectively for the human side and the game evens out.

EDIT: The linked thread has some great tips that should help to even out this discrepancy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, nice link, thanks!
I will try out the no sympathizer variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, amongst experienced groups, humans win the base game about 60% of the time.

It is fun to discover the strong tactics by yourself, but if you are getting frustrated by it: do not underestimate the value of Investigative Committees, Launch Scouts, and Executive Orders. And do not underestimate the power of Laura Roslin and Helo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, when all players are skilled, the humans win more than half the time.

The reason is that
A. The human team is playing better against the game i.e. wasting fewer cards, spending their actions more efficiently, better at identifying threats etc.
B. It is harder for a Cylon to remain undetected. Once you know what a human 'should' do, it is much easier to identify when someone is misbehaving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamuki (Jueguetistorias)
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's my feeling, Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the biggest benefits of experience with the game is that you get better at judging which skill checks you need to pass, and which you can afford to let go - just picking a few checks to fail without even trying gives you the extra cards to pass the remaining checks.

Try reading through a few of the threads on the play-by-forum board here - comparing how they do things to how your group plays should let you figure out where you might need to change.

Without seeing you play, all we can do is guess at the most likely mistakes for you to be making, and offer standard advice...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
One of the biggest benefits of experience with the game is that you get better at judging which skill checks you need to pass, and which you can afford to let go - just picking a few checks to fail without even trying gives you the extra cards to pass the remaining checks.

That's probably the best piece of advice I give to new players. You cannot and do not need to pass every skill check. Pick your battles and don't waste resources on a fight you can't win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.