Stephan H.
Germany
Dresden
Sachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everybody,

I'm thinking about trying out ASL. Unfortunately, I don't know any players in my region (and don't think there are any - yet). So I'm wondering about which products to get in order to have a look at it. Rulebook + Beyond Valor is right out, it's just too expensive for a first look.

So I'm wondering, are the Starter Kits suitable for playing online via VASL or are there any differences in the rules that VASL can't handle?

Regards,
Stephan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Hjelme
Norway
Arendal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You´ll have no problem playing SK scenarios on VASL.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got stared with this game playing SK on VASL. VASL is basically just components, not rules. Come join us! You'll have the time of your life!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Horner
United Kingdom
Forres
Moray
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Stephan
Short answer is yes, the starter kits are very well supported on VASL and it is a very friendly community.

For minimum outlay I would suggest getting the starter kit expansion pack as this is readily available and has the most up to date rulebook. Also it is self contained so that you get everything you need in one pack. Then if you like ASL you can choose to get more SK or Beyond Valor and the main rules.

There are also some very good resources on the geek.

Jay Richardson's guide is in my mind indispensable a very easy to read walkthrough and examples of play

[url]http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/40482/jay-richardsons-...]

Also Pat Irelands setup files for VASL, these are fantastic and very helpful. Pat is also a great teacher.

[url]http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/78953/sk1-s1-s6-vasl-s...]

Hope this helps, maybe catch you on VASL one day :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan H.
Germany
Dresden
Sachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everybody for your answers, SKEP#1 will be it, then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BattleSchool Managing Editor
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taschenschieber wrote:

Viel Spaß!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
Taschenschieber wrote:

And if you're searching for VASL opponents, either post here on BGG or post over on the Gamesquad Opponents Wanted forum, and you'll have no shortage of willing adversaries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Hyde
United Kingdom
Sompting
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd drop Pat Ireland a line, just like I did, and ask if he has any training spaces available.

I've played two games, both from the starter kits and whilst I've lost both they were close and great learning experiences. I wouldn't want any teacher deliberately throwing a game and Pat doesn't patronise.

There are others out there who will take on a newbie so take a chance and put your name up and see what happens. Once you start you wonder why you have taken so long.

Good luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vicca
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pat was doing "weekend meets" where groups of players would meet up and then get paired off with available experienced players. He's a really good guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.