There wasn't much for me to say in a review aside from agreeing with the one already there that the questions are too hard to make this much fun. And I say that having played this some years ago with some of the most well read people I know. (Caveat: not English professors or anything, but very well read.) Looking back at the cards now, I'd say that on average I know the answer to one question for every two cards, so less than ten percent.
So anyway, just pulling out one card at random, here are some example questions for those who are wondering about the level of difficulty:
- What Richard Adams book tells of Rowf and Snitter's escape from a research lab? (The Plague Dogs)
- What 1966 novel by Larry McMurtry inspired one of his high school classmates to pen a memoir titled Whatever Happened to Jacy Farrow? (The Last Picture Show)
- What Republican is the unwitting subject of Joe Queenan's 1992 biography Imperial Caddy? (Dan Quayle)
- What British novelist was credited for inventing the "gastroromance," for such books as Chocolat, Blackberry Wine, and Five Quarters of the Orange? (Joanne Harris)
- What author of The Last Thing He Wanted was wed to writer John Gregory Dunne for 39 years? (Joan Didion)
- What baseball announcer had his off-the-cuff remarks set in verse by Tom Peyer and Hart Seely, in O Holy Cow? (Phil Rizzuto)
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
As with many of these special editions - even if you are interested in the subject, most of the questions are too hard (I think of the Beatles edition, Star Wars edition, The American 80's edition ... and so on).
As this is one of the most played games between me and my wife, we gathered an impressive collection of TP editions so far and we mix them all together; meaning we have a dice table where we roll the dice and then draw a question from that particular edition. So, e.g, depending on the sets you have, this could look like:
01 - 05 Genus I
06 - 10 Genus II
11 - 13 Worldwide
14 - 16 Book Lovers
17 - 19 Star Wars
20 The Beatles
Getting a questions from the book edition every 20th time or so is not as hard as getting it every time
And it's much more fun to play that way.