Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I watched a game of Mythic Battles, in which the first scenario was played. My buddy then bought the game the next day and he and I got our first game in too.

I played the Legions of Hades and my friend played Athena. He had played Athena the previous game so he wanted to go with it again since he had a feel for it. This was my first game after watching a single game of it. My first impression was pretty favorable, so I was looking forward to it.

We played the first mission of the campaign, “The Stelae
of Destiny.”

The setup places Athena with terrain on her side that include some hills on her right and ruins on her left. There is a large forest on the right of the map, and Hades has some ruins to shield himself from the hills on his left (Athena's right).

We deployed pretty quickly, with me placing my Legions of Damned and my artillerymen in line at the top of my deploy zone. Athena did a similar thing but focused 2 archer units on her right for those hills. I did place my Lycanos on my far left, which would let the ruins shield them.

The game then began with me moving a Legion of the Damned forward and in to the middle. Hades movement is pretty solid so I felt I had to use it and get rolling. He moved into position on the hill and then I moved an Artilleryman into the middle to trade shots with the archer on the hill. I drew a bunch of early art of war which limited my actions a bit, but enabled me to dig a bit with the wild card function.

He moved forward with his units and I sent the bulk of my army to my right to use that forest. My 2 units in the middle quickly became pin cushions and the Legion actually got killed first turn. That artilleryman did survive though.

I ran my Lycanos across the entire field with their big move of 4 and engaged an archer on the far side (his left). It was a massive amount of ground covered. He attacked next time around but did take some damage. My artilleryman in that forest finished that archer off. I moved the rest of my legions into the middle and engaged his hoplites there. His archers on those hills would need to move for some shots now. Or so I thought....

Turn 2 began with me reinforcing my Lycans to full, as well as my damaged artilleryman. One legion remained at 3 vitality. I then acted. My dogs slaughtered his Gymnetes and they were really wreaking havoc. His 2 archers on the hilltops starting spreadshotting and slaughtering my Legions still in the middle, but I was able to kill a Hop lite in the middle. My artillerymen were all on my right now, either in or near the forest. I lost another Legion, but those dogs were tearing him up and forcing action.

Turn 3 saw us both in positions to win. I used an art of war was a wild card and acted first with the dogs and finished off the Gymnetes. I needed one more kill to win. He damaged the dogs but took a ton of actions to do so. Failing to kill them in that action was disheartening for him. In the meantime I used explosive shells and pounded his Hop lites. He killed the dogs finally, and then I finished the hoplites and won. I didn't go for the archers first because of sentry, and then I went for the the second time because of the damage.

The final impression was very favorable to me. I liked this a lot. It scratches that Miniature game itch without all of the massive overhead of a mini's game. That said, it is screaming for an expansion. The 2 armies are good, and with the scenario/campaign thing I suspect they will feel good a long time. It reminds me of playing the campaign in Starcraft the CPU game a bit.

What I mean by that last bit is that campaign starts with units in limited number and with fixed abilities that are not customizable. I was just thinking that it was like one of the early skirmishes in the Starcraft campaign. The game slowly gives you more units, which is what this game's campaign does. You never get customizable units, but the CHOICE of different units reminds be up Starcraft the CPU game again.

Anyhow, right now with 2 armies, this game is screaming for an expansion. I personally believe 4 factions is a minimum MUST for a game like this. That said, this is a good/great game and was a ton of fun. Maybe I should just write a review!!!

I am looking forward to kicking more Athena butt and crushing my buddy with his own Stelae of Destiny!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit VOGT
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hello GB,

Thanks for the review.

We are currently finalizing the first expansion to be released in February or March 2013. There will be additional units, tiles and scenarios. Furthermore, there will be a new kind of cards: the Heroes.

2 new armies will come up later on.

Do not worry Mythic Battles will get a lot of additional material.

Benoit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds super cool. There are so many options for armies in a game like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K AM
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

As the losing player (not to worry--I narrowly won the first game I played), I agree, I'm very impressed with this game. I'll likely detail that in the review thread.

I'm also eager to see new content and will be eager to get my copy of the expansion when it is released early next year.

Heroes was one of the things we discussed, and were hoping for, so that should be very cool.

KAM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kozlowski
United States
Schererville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice recap. I can't wait to try a full game of this.

One thing I wanted to clarify from your report. You said that at one point you didn't go for the archers because of Sentry. Do you mean you shot at the archers but he used Sentry to redirect? Or you didn't even bother?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't bother. I just decided to go for the Hoplites.

In my mind, if he didn't sentry, I would do some damage to the archers

If he did sentry I would damage the Hop Lite, forcing me to continue hitting them. I wanted to hit the HopLite anyhow so I went straight for them.

It would have been a cost of 1 power for the Sentry, but I would have had to attack 3 times I think. The way I did it, I had to do a total of 2.

I killed those last Hop Lites with Damned Artillerymen using explosive shells and boosting damage. They did a lot of damage in that salvo.

I want to finish the full campaign/scenario thingee before I start making custom armies. Powerful stuff compared to the base units though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kozlowski
United States
Schererville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ghbell wrote:
I didn't bother. I just decided to go for the Hoplites.

In my mind, if he didn't sentry, I would do some damage to the archers

If he did sentry I would damage the Hop Lite, forcing me to continue hitting them. I wanted to hit the HopLite anyhow so I went straight for them.

It would have been a cost of 1 power for the Sentry, but I would have had to attack 3 times I think. The way I did it, I had to do a total of 2.

I killed those last Hop Lites with Damned Artillerymen using explosive shells and boosting damage. They did a lot of damage in that salvo.

I want to finish the full campaign/scenario thingee before I start making custom armies. Powerful stuff compared to the base units though.

Ah, I see. Power Points are obviously extremely valuable because those abilities are very good. I was often unable to use some of my talents because of lack of power points which hurt. A couple of Explosive Shells or Unholy Strength's may have swung such a close match for me. Obviously knowing when to pitch for Power Points and when to use your cards for manuevers is a significant part of this games strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. But I wanted the hoplites dead and I was feeling pinched on actions, so I just focused on them.

I PROBABLY could have gotten him to spend the Power point, but if he didn't then I just get a couple of hits on the archers. He could then spend the points the next time around and I do damge to the hoplites.

So, in that scenario, I have 2 units partially damaged. I just focused my limited attacks on the Hoplites to finish it in 2 attacks.

Plus, I was moving to stay out of range of the archers, forcing him to spend points on range that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kozlowski
United States
Schererville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I saw what you meant and why you did it, I was just clarifying and adding my thoughts on Power Points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, power points are huge as they can be dominating. Spreadshot is an example of a super powerful one. That power rocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit VOGT
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mb
By the way, did we get a chance to play the free scenari we released last week? If so, what did you think about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not yet. I just found that today. I will get to that soon. There will be more session reports coming too, as I progress through the campaign.

I don't actually own the game yet. I depend on my buddies to provide the materials for this one.

I sent them the link for that free scenario, so hopefully we get to that soon.

Thanks for the freebie and we will let you know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James

Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new scenario was worth it... if you have not played it, I would recomend it... placement of units is super critical...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I fully intend to. I just want to do the campaign first. Time is an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit VOGT
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Happy youn enjoyed this scenario. There will be more to come. The official playaid is also now available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered it. Now I am just waiting for processing. I am looking forward to giving it a shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.