Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vincent Pardo
Belgium
Grand-Leez
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am planning to maybe organize soon a game with more than 6 players.

I am looking for feedback/advice.

How much time should I plan ? Still about 30 min per player ?
How doses the new simultaneous play system work ?
Tx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Motz
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many have played before? Cause if no one has played before I would expect a longer time and would probably avoid the simultaneous move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gleb Semenjuk
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played with 8 without the simultaneous play rule -- about 30 minutes per player is still possible. This game just shines with more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We did a 7 player in 4 hours during the beta test. This was with a notoriously slow group. It was a total blast. I wouldn't do it without the simultaneous play rule though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Savola
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 7-9 player games are great, but everybody must know the game and its rules. I've played two 9 player games and both of them were very fast, roughly 25 minutes per player.

In 9p games players will have smaller empires and income than in 3-4p games, so they will be doing a bit less actions, which means that the average time per player drops slightly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
many ppl mixing up the joy of good company and the fun when meeting many ppl with playing games, there is no way for a game to be better with over 4-5 ppl . different yes , more lucky yes, more chaotic yes, more fun in a partymood way yes, more unpredictable yes, more time consuming yes....but better why?? maybe you will say thats better for some of the reasons i wrote but thats just not an opinion based on rules or design or the game itsself, you just want to have many ppl and playing ok thats good but that doens make the game better it just make your mood better when playing it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Narek Der-Sahakian
United States
Montrose
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
mythos999 wrote:
but that doens make the game better it just make your mood better when playing it

i get your point, but it seems you may have forgotten that the point of playing games is to have fun and be in a good mood
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Pardo
Belgium
Grand-Leez
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks all for your feedback.

One last question: have you already tried starting the gane the classical way i.e. without the simulteneous play and introduce it from round 3 e.g. to shorten a little bit the end of the game ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gleb Semenjuk
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VincentP wrote:
Thanks all for your feedback.

One last question: have you already tried starting the gane the classical way i.e. without the simulteneous play and introduce it from round 3 e.g. to shorten a little bit the end of the game ?

We discussed trying exactly the opposite - to play sim-rule until we are connected and timing might rise as an issue. Did not play, so cannot recommend much, but please consider that idea as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Hannula
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
The probabilistic nature of being
badge
Truthful speech, proper understanding, unselfish action
mbmbmbmbmb
7-9 player game is good if everyone has played eclipse several times but otherwise it's just too rash.
In our 7-player game yesterday eridani eliminated hydra from the game in turn 1 and syndicate/magellan alliance eliminated mechanema player in turn 4.
Hydra made serious mistake at the start. He researched advanced robotics instead of starbases when eridani was only one hex away and equipped with improved hulls. But I think elimination is just too hard way to learn how to play in tight 7-9 player game.
(The hydran player had played eclipse about 10 times)

In the end we got hegemony/magellan/eridani alliance vs. syndicate/magellan alliance. Hegemony/magellan/eridani alliance won and it was interesting game with many twists.

What I learned? Mistakes at the start pay back much harder in a 7-player game than in a 3-6 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first 9 player game last night. We had one new player, but he was very experienced in gaming in general and picked up the game quickly.

Wow, what an awesome experience. The game took a little under 5 hours. All three alliances were formed, two of us held out solo, and the winner (Planta) broke his alliance on the last turn.

It was really great to see just about every bit of the expansion come into play during this game. I don't really know what more I could say... 11 !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanish wrote:
Played my first 9 player game last night. We had one new player, but he was very experienced in gaming in general and picked up the game quickly.

Wow, what an awesome experience. The game took a little under 5 hours. All three alliances were formed, two of us held out solo, and the winner (Planta) broke his alliance on the last turn.

It was really great to see just about every bit of the expansion come into play during this game. I don't really know what more I could say... 11 !

Nice. Really, 5 hours isn't that much for a multiplayer conflict game with some meat to it, especially with 9 people.

Although, if I ever have a situation where we might play 9p, I'd probably still be tempted to just break into two games, and enough people in my game groups own it that it shouldn't be an issue. The last time we had 8 (before the expansion was out), there were 4 copies Eclipse in attendance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had scheduled this particular night just to play 9P Eclipse. I'm lucky in that I currently have 20 or so people that love the game in my area, so it wasn't too hard to fill the group.

The simult. play really made the game. Yeah, it took almost 5 hours, but there was very little personal downtime. Having that many players to consider, especially with the warp portals and potential alliances, really gave everyone something to think about for their turn. With the dual markers, your turn was often coming to you faster than you were prepared for.

The bulk of the time spent was actually spent resolving battles in rounds 7,8,9. In round 8 we had battles in over 20 hexes. There was no way we were going to resolve one at a time with that many!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak
New Zealand
Whangarei
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Vanish wrote:
The game took a little under 5 hours. All three alliances were formed, two of us held out solo, and the winner (Planta) broke his alliance on the last turn.

Don't think Alliances are allowed to be formed OR broken on the final turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacjames wrote:
Vanish wrote:
The game took a little under 5 hours. All three alliances were formed, two of us held out solo, and the winner (Planta) broke his alliance on the last turn.

Don't think Alliances are allowed to be formed OR broken on the final turn.

Well then, we'll have to throw that game out and declare me the winner! Oops.

EDit: Or rather, have a rematch! Unfortunately, we had resolved most of the battles of the round before 2/3s of us even knew of the betrayal. Considering they already had ships helping each other in the same hex I couldn't take that as an indication.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LucCros
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We recently had a game. Two new players (but seasoned board game players) and 7 total wanted to play. Therefore we used the 7-9 variant, which was a first time for everyone involved.

We left simultaneous play out so everyone and the new players especially could follow everything. To say the least that was a mistake. It was a long game (over 7.5 hours), as a lot of questions and thinking was being done on everyone's turn which led to a lot of waiting.

It probably would have been better to introduce the game to the new players in a fewer player game, but we obviously weren't going to tell people they couldn't play.

If you are going to play 7+, be sure to use those pink and grey action markers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
anextiomarus wrote:
We recently had a game. Two new players (but seasoned board game players) and 7 total wanted to play. Therefore we used the 7-9 variant, which was a first time for everyone involved.

We left simultaneous play out so everyone and the new players especially could follow everything. To say the least that was a mistake. It was a long game (over 7.5 hours), as a lot of questions and thinking was being done on everyone's turn which led to a lot of waiting.

It probably would have been better to introduce the game to the new players in a fewer player game, but we obviously weren't going to tell people they couldn't play.

wow. 7.5 hours. Dude.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LucCros
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ghbell wrote:
anextiomarus wrote:

wow. 7.5 hours. Dude.

That included setup and rules explanation, but yeah...
By no means are we a fast group, but it was quite painful after the 5 hour mark..
Like I say never again without simultaneous play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim LaCroix
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a 9 person game. having two people go at the same time was essential, it was a 7 hour game. There was a fair bit of discussion, but as alliances were formed and broken there was a lot of strategy and agonizing on what to do. At this level of play the possibility for people to get angry at each other goes way up.

The biggest problem I have with Eclipse is that once missiles come out everyone forgoes all hull and loads up on them and targeting and they are unstoppable. This expansion has a answer for that with an anti missile add on. Point defense and Distortion Field. The point defense allows you to shoot down missiles and Distortion field gives them -2 to hit. Add on a Antimatter splitter and antimatter cannon and you are going to be able to answer incoming missiles.

I think the expansion really is a great addition, and one I prefer to play with over the vanilla game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markoak Gamer
Spain
flag msg tools
Two days ago we played a 9 player game. Everybody have played at least twice (mostly vanilla) before. It took us near 5 hours. The last one was only screaming one to each other (Machiavelli style).
Some thoughts:

1- The Round Tokens (pink & grey) must move at once. Never allow the pink to reach a player who holds the grey.
2- Alliances are essential. Choose wisely and act soon. It's almost impossible to defend a hex from 3 differents player at same time.
3- Some technologies & Discoveries SHOULD BE revised. Basically my advice is to duplicate (two tiles instead of the one in the gamebox) or eliminate the next techs/discoveries: Neutron Absorber, Point of Defense, MORPH SHIELD ...
I think some of these advancements really unbalance the game. Adding one tile more prevents from creating Invencible players. Or eliminating them should work too.

Besides this, 9 people enjoyed this fantastic game in less than 5 hours.
P.S: Mr. Touko, you're a gentleman and a scholar!. LOL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.