Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: New to Descent...Some questions! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking at ordering this to play with my 7-year-old son. We own Castle Ravenloft and the beutiful LOTR board game, and he likes them very much. I was thinking of buying some more of the D&D board games, but decided to do some research and see if there was something else he may like and I stumbled upon Descent. I have a few questions for any kind soul who can answer them.

1) If I am reading the descriptions right, Descent is more of a campaign-type game where you have a base towna nd you go on quests and return w/ gold and lewt to buy more stuff for your next quest. If so, I am thinking my son will like it even more since he likes to "own" his character. Can you confirm my understanding.

2) Descent appears to be in its second edition (as of this year!) Which edition should I buy? If I buy D2, do the existing expansion packs work with it? Are there any expansions for D2 yet? (Especially since the manufacturer is selling the sea-based expansion on tehir site for $10 right now!)

3) How long does one game session take (if you only do one "quest?")

4) I see it has a high age recomendation. If my 7yo son can handle Castle Ravenloft, can he handle Descent?

5) the D&D board games have a "new" dungeon layout every time you play. From my limited research, D2 appears to have set "board" that quests take place upon. Is this correct? Either way, how is the replayability?

6) Anything else I should know about D2?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to Bgg.
1. Short answer. Yes.
2. You want the 2nd edition. There is one expansion for 2nd edition coming out soon. The 1st edition expansions are not compatible.
3. Some take longer than others but about 1 hour is a good estimate.
4. If he can play Ravenloft than he should be okay with supervision.
5. You are correct. The map is the same every time and you can see the whole map at the beginning. The game is very fun but exploration and discovery is not its strong suit.

Good luck. I think your son will be pretty excited.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Noahboa wrote:
Welcome to Bgg.
1. Short answer. Yes.
2. You want the 2nd edition. There is one expansion for 2nd edition coming out soon. The 1st edition expansions are not compatible.


A clarification: you can use the monsters and heroes from the 1st edition expansions in 2nd edition if you buy the Conversion Kit. However, note that two 1st Ed expansions - Road to Legend and Sea of Blood - do NOT contain monsters, so it is pointless buying them for use with 2nd Ed.

Quote:
3. Some take longer than others but about 1 hour is a good estimate.


I'd say closer to 2 hours per quest (1 hour per encounter, but you can't really save the game between encounters, only quests).

Quote:
4. If he can play Ravenloft than he should be okay with supervision.
5. You are correct. The map is the same every time and you can see the whole map at the beginning. The game is very fun but exploration and discovery is not its strong suit.


This statement is incredibly misleading. The map will always be the same for each individual quest, but different quests have different maps, which are constructed using different combinations of puzzle piece-like board sections. Playing one campaign, you will see about 16 different maps, and if I remember correctly, that is only about half of all the maps in the quest guide.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Noahboa wrote:
Welcome to Bgg.
1. Short answer. Yes.
2. You want the 2nd edition. There is one expansion for 2nd edition coming out soon. The 1st edition expansions are not compatible.
3. Some take longer than others but about 1 hour is a good estimate.
4. If he can play Ravenloft than he should be okay with supervision.
5. You are correct. The map is the same every time and you can see the whole map at the beginning. The game is very fun but exploration and discovery is not its strong suit.

Good luck. I think your son will be pretty excited.


Thank you very much!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
This statement is incredibly misleading. The map will always be the same for each individual quest, but different quests have different maps, which are constructed using different combinations of puzzle piece-like board sections. Playing one campaign, you will see about 16 different maps, and if I remember correctly, that is only about half of all the maps in the quest guide.


Thank you for you additions. Alos, I understood his meaning to be "per quest" since i have inspected the details of teh game, but it is good to clarify for any readers who have not.

Looks like I will be putting this under the tree!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Another game worth looking at is the awesome Mice and Mystics

You can grab the rules pdf here...
http://www.plaidhatgames.com/games/mice-and-mystics

..and a great vid from Watch it Played can be seen here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=K3ytm...

If you haven't already checked this puppy out ... I'd recommend you take a peek
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
I'd say closer to 2 hours per quest (1 hour per encounter, but you can't really save the game between encounters, only quests).


People here on BGG claim about 1 hour per encounter, but my group is much slower. We get through one encounter in about two hours, on average. That said, you can pack up and "save" between encounters, it just requires more bookkeeping.

Our time is for five players though, and they spend a lot of time discussing their turns. If it's just going to be two people playing, I can imagine encounters going much more quickly.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
I'd say closer to 2 hours per quest (1 hour per encounter, but you can't really save the game between encounters, only quests).


People here on BGG claim about 1 hour per encounter, but my group is much slower. We get through one encounter in about two hours, on average. That said, you can pack up and "save" between encounters, it just requires more bookkeeping.

Our time is for five players though, and they spend a lot of time discussing their turns. If it's just going to be two people playing, I can imagine encounters going much more quickly.
d
That's a very good point. Time is very dependent on number of players. My estimate was based on my experience with 2 player games, and we like to keep it pretty fast and loose, without a lot of time spent strategizing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
demonhanz demonhanz
msg tools
mb
Dexter345 wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
I'd say closer to 2 hours per quest (1 hour per encounter, but you can't really save the game between encounters, only quests).


People here on BGG claim about 1 hour per encounter, but my group is much slower. We get through one encounter in about two hours, on average. That said, you can pack up and "save" between encounters, it just requires more bookkeeping.

Our time is for five players though, and they spend a lot of time discussing their turns. If it's just going to be two people playing, I can imagine encounters going much more quickly.


This is correct. With 2 players who both know and understand the game, a quest (two encounters) can be finished in about 1-2 hours, give or take.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up buying this for me and my son and it is a wonderful game. Thanks again for all the input!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.