13 Posts

Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Corner movement and corner first aid rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Angel Araphi
Austria
flag msg tools
We've been arguing about a few questions concerning corners so I thought I'd ask the pros:

1) Can a zombie at a corner outside a building move inside diagonally or vice versa? (arguing there are no windows in a corner, only at the side walls)
Can Zombie Z move to X?
[Z] _________
[ ] | [X] [ ] [ ]
[ ] | [ ] [ ] [ ]

2) Can a hero at the outside corner Z use a first aid kit on a hero in the inside corner X?

Thanks a bunch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Spencer
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I would say yes to this, since they can move diagonally and through walls. Also, the rulebook says thematically it's through windows or up through floorboards if that helps the argument.

2. Near as I can tell, I'd say yes. Line of sight rules say hat since he's touching the wall he can see the other hero, and the squares are adjacent. I would argue that he's handing it through the window.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, diagonal movement is allowed....even through (for the zombies) or across a wall. Diagonal is adjacent, except for humans moving through a door as far as I can tell.

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Myers
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Spence, as I usually do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angel Araphi
Austria
flag msg tools
Thanks for the clarifications!

But don't the line of sight rules say Z can't see X because he's not touching either wall?
Would you use line of sight rules with items like this in general?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
Line of sight is only used for ranged attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
1) yes, zombies move though corners of buildings too.
2) we've always played that the heroes can't use a first aid kit through a wall. It didn't seem thematic. They have to be beside each other without a wall (or even a window) in the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Line of sight is only needed for range. First aid uses adjacent heroes. The heroes do NOT have line of sight on each other, but as that is not required for healing the real question becomes "Is Hero Z adjacent to Hero X?" and I am unsure of the official reply to that. I would say no they are not, but that's basically just a hunch.

If the heroes were instead on opposite sides of the same wall (and not in this corner arrangement you diagram above) then I would say yes they can heal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the rulebook only mentions that walls impact movement and LoS so we have allowed adjacency. Another justification we used is zombies on the other side of the wall are still adjacent and will be affected by zombie hunger. I agree it's not too clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gardner
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm too lazy to read back through the forums right now, but if you haven't done so you might want to. Gallons of cyber-ink have been spilled in talking about this game and its rules, etc., on the site. I can't believe that an important but basic question like this one hasn't already had official rulings made on it. For anyone more energetic than I who may discover the answer there, please consider linking to it from here. --David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Here it is.

"Adjacent" includes through walls. Jason answered specifically with reference to the First Aid Kit, although the answer would presumably apply to other "adjacent" effects also, such as Fence Post or Gasoline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angel Araphi
Austria
flag msg tools
Thanks to everyone!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Spencer
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice find, Rubric. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.