Hide
10 Posts

Le Havre» Forums » Rules

Subject: Couple more questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamie Campbell
msg tools
Wife and I are mid game right now just had a few questions.

Does our player disk stay in the building indefeinitely until either someone purchases or sells it or we decide to move it ourselves? Does it stay there even after a round is complete?

If we decide to use the same building and we are already in it, do we pay the entry fee again?

Loving it so far but maybe due to poor planning early on (probably due to it being our first game) we are just barely making the food requirements at the end of the round. We are barely having time to do much of anyhing else. Thoughts?

Thanks guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tehmerms wrote:
Wife and I are mid game right now just had a few questions.

Does our player disk stay in the building indefeinitely until either someone purchases or sells it or we decide to move it ourselves? Does it stay there even after a round is complete?

If we decide to use the same building and we are already in it, do we pay the entry fee again?

Loving it so far but maybe due to poor planning early on (probably due to it being our first game) we are just barely making the food requirements at the end of the round. We are barely having time to do much of anyhing else. Thoughts?

Thanks guys.

(1) Your disk stays there until you move it to another building...it can be quite annoying to the other players If the building is not yours, you can be evicted by either the owner selling it, or someone buying it from the town.

(2) You cannot use the same building that your disk is in. You must always go to another building first, and then come back to it on another turn if its still available.

(3) Food can be tough. You need to find a food engine and get it going, and buying/building ships can be very helpful. It's not always a bad idea to take out loans if you need to to meet food needs as well as long as you get them paid off by the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes, they stay there until voluntarily moved or the building is sold.

2. You can't use the same building twice in a row. You have to move your worker off the building (to a new building) and then move it back on some other turn.

3. Have you tried taking loans?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Campbell
msg tools
Thanks guys!

We never took loans yet, we viewed them as a last resort. I'm sure our strategies will form with time. I could see how taking an early loan to buy a boat would help you get a jump start.

Food really does ramp up fast though, at least in 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tehmerms wrote:
Thanks guys!

We never took loans yet, we viewed them as a last resort. I'm sure our strategies will form with time. I could see how taking an early loan to buy a boat would help you get a jump start.

Food really does ramp up fast though, at least in 2 players.

It does, but on the other hand, you're also getting more turns each round than you would with more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Snakes et Lattes
Canada
flag msg tools
Proudly Alphabetical since 1989!
badge
The Wish Swing from Nuit Blanche 2007
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to see you are enjoying the game.

Note, however, that you cannot take a loan to buy a boat. Or to buy anything else. You can only take a loan when you lack the resources to feed or when you lack the francs to pay an interest payment.

You can, however, sell a building to the town to raise francs to buy a boat. I've never done it but it is a valid strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
tehmerms wrote:

If managed well loans can be very useful, but remember you can't just take a loan. They only occur if you do not have enough food and/or money when it comes time to pay food or once you have loans that you can't pay your interest.

Note to self: 27 loans in a two player game is too many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tehmerms wrote:
Loving it so far but maybe due to poor planning early on (probably due to it being our first game) we are just barely making the food requirements at the end of the round. We are barely having time to do much of anyhing else.

I agree with others here. Loans are a tool in Le Havre, not a punishment. For a game or two, I suggest you don't sweat the food requirements at all for the first few rounds of the game. You'll be forced to take a few loans. It'll probably be ok...take the chance to observe any differences in how things go from there.

You don't have to take a lot of loans, or even any, to play well in Le Havre. But they're worth learning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Rogers
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify you can use a building two turns in a row. You "fall off" the building when it is bought or sold. So if you are on a town building from the previous turn you can buy it and then use it again. Or if you are on your own building from last turn you can sell it and use it again.

Just remember that you cannot sell and buy the same building on the same turn. So if you sell a building to the town, the other players have a round to buy it before you have the chance to buy it back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pastuzyn
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
Note to self: 27 loans in a two player game is too many.
surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.