Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw this in a local game store on the weekend and almost picked it up, but thought I'd do a search on it here first.

Just wondering how the solo rules play? Do you still have to make decisions for both sides (killer for me, I can never have fun with that in a game) or is the German decision making sped up and automated to a high degree? Can you play all the scenarios with the solo rules?

Will probably end up getting this anyways because the map is stunning and it handles the paratroopers. I love reading and playing anything about the 101st and 82nd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played with the solo rules, though I have played both sides in the game using the standard rules. The solo rules are interesting and possibly unique in a couple of ways.

First of all, you are playing the Germans when you play with the solo rules: that really threw me.

Secondly, the solo rules constrain the Allied forces but still require you to make decisions within those constraints. For example, each division rolls once per turn on a Solitaire Action Table that dictates how organized and effective the division is. The results of this table can add or deduct from a unit's combat and movement capability and may restrict the ability to attack, for example. The rules also include parameters that should guide the player as he moves and attacks with the Allied troops. These include both higher-level guides, like "the airborne divisions are to create a line of units to block German access to Utah Beach", as well as more granular guides, like "attacks should be made fewer in number but with multiple stacks participating rather than making more attacks by individual stacks."

The solo rules apply to all the scenarios, as best as I can tell.

And yes, the map is gorgeous, and I am shallow enough to admit that it was a fair portion of my decision to buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm....would have figured it would have been easier to put the Germans on auto-pilot rather than the US, but it might be interesting - especially the reaction on the 7th.

Is the cohesion of the paratroops modeled as well? In the screenshots of some games I saw that there was a mix of strong concentrations of paratroops as well as lots of smaller units. Do those regiments start weak and come together gradually as they did in reality? I would expect a lot of randomness in how they would resolve at this scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.