Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Piehler
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and my buddies enjoy A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition). We rarely have more than 3 player games though, and GoT suffers from some balance issues depending on the number of players. Bluffing/deception games usually improve with more players, but I'm curious if there is anything decent out there that can be played with 3 or maybe even 2 players.

I'm kind of intrigued by Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game... But my friends and I are uninitiated to the series, original or the remake, so the theme is a bit of a turn off.

Any suggestions, BGG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For 3 -- Diplomacy: Hundred Variant -- but I don't know where you would go about finding it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Intrigue is vicious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kunsemiller
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Mischievous Hobbes is Mischievous
mbmbmbmbmb
Bpiehler wrote:
Me and my buddies enjoy A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition). We rarely have more than 3 player games though, and GoT suffers from some balance issues depending on the number of players. Bluffing/deception games usually improve with more players, but I'm curious if there is anything decent out there that can be played with 3 or maybe even 2 players.

I'm kind of intrigued by Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game... But my friends and I are uninitiated to the series, original or the remake, so the theme is a bit of a turn off.

Any suggestions, BGG?

Super lightweight, but you may want to check out Skull
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm planning to play Coup with 3 pretty soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Gibbons
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Just watch the series. It's available on Hulu, Netflix (streaming), and Amazon (free with Prime). I'm usually not a sci-fi fan, but a friend convinced me to watch it. It now ranks up there as one of my all time favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels
Condottiere
Camelot Legends (kind of sort of)
Beowulf: The Legend
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Piehler
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
utcarver wrote:
Just watch the series. It's available on Hulu, Netflix (streaming), and Amazon (free with Prime). I'm usually not a sci-fi fan, but a friend convinced me to watch it. It now ranks up there as one of my all time favorites.

Sold. Watching 1st episode now!

Edit: both are available on streaming! Which is better? 78" or 04"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
i dont know any big box bluffing / deduction games

but i know a very lovely small box bluffing / deduction game
- Cockroach Poker !!!

cant go wrong with this one. extremely awesome in a short quick fun time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Fisher
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
http://d6desperados.com
badge
Mooo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bpiehler wrote:
utcarver wrote:

That's all it took for me and I was hooked. What followed was long viewing sessions where I would knock out five or six episodes in a sitting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Fisher
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Mooo!
mbmbmbmbmb
The recent series. 2004.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bpiehler wrote:
utcarver wrote:

It's a fantastic show. The board game is also one of the best ever at marrying theme and mechanics. It's better with more players than three, but you'll want to own it after getting into the show.

I'd also recommmend Colossal Arena. It's cheap, easy to learn and combines bidding and bluffing in an elegant, light game that's good as a filler. I mention it because the sweet spot is three players.

Edit: Watch the 2004 Galactica. It's not only because the 2004 series informs the board game; the question of which season to watch is not even worth a serious discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Fisher
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Mooo!
mbmbmbmbmb
hiimjosh wrote:

I'd like to hear more about this. Let me know how it goes. I played it at the con with six and enjoyed it immensely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Piehler
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just love programs which create an immersive world to lose yourself in, ficticious or otherwise. I'm 15 minutes in and I can tell this is one of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of Citadels for bluffing. With two or 3, it's less of a party game and more of a gamers game (though still not overly heavy).

This is a great review: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/836898/it-is-double-pleasure...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Deignan
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bpiehler wrote:
utcarver wrote:

Watch 2004. That's a real show which is mainly an allegory. The 1978 version is sci-fi camp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
labrhat22 wrote:
hiimjosh wrote:

I'd like to hear more about this. Let me know how it goes. I played it at the con with six and enjoyed it immensely.

I played Coup with 3 at BGG.CON a number of times. Works well with 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lynn
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seconding (or thirding?) Citadels. It plays surprisingly well with 3 people.

I love Battlestar Galactica but I don't think I've ever played it with three people. It seems like it might work better than some though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bpiehler wrote:
I'm curious if there is anything decent out there that can be played with 3 or maybe even 2 players.

Any suggestions, BGG?

For a 2 player bluffing game I'd look no further than Android: Netrunner. Lots of opportunities for mind games against your opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica (the series and the game) really is that good. In fact, I just finished writing a review of the game. Even if you're unfamiliar with the series, I'd say it's a must-play.

For a differently-themed option, how about Nostra City? I have it but haven't played it yet, so I can't speak to how well it plays, but I know it's got the traitor thing going on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out The Thing. It's a PnP game based on the 1970's movie wth the same title. It's for 2-4 players whr one player will play as the thing. 12 crew members will be played in the game (regardless of how many is playing), and each other player will control one character. Each side has their own objective.

Another that is similar in theme is Panic Station.

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
BSG can be played with 3, but it's really not that fun/exciting. 5-6 for BSG is optimal in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xpiredsodapop wrote:
BSG can be played with 3, but it's really not that fun/exciting. 5-6 for BSG is optimal in my opinion.

Agreed.

Take a look at these:

Innovation
Evo (second edition)
Mission: Red Planet
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Pandemic
BattleCON: War of Indines

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Beowulf - The Legend

For a small fast card game: Palastgefluster

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.