Subject: Help me choose between these games? Thanks! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Lay
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I usually play with 3-4 players (my siblings ), so I'm looking for something that plays well with 3 and 4. My sister is 13 so I'm also looking for something that is not too heavy. I will post each players favorite games and see if you all can help me decide which games fits us the best.

Gamer 1 (Me!): Agricola, Power Grid, Age of Empires 3, Castles of Burgundy, Puerto Rico, Dungeon Petz, Kingsburg, Troyes, etc...hahaha

Gamer 2 (Sister/13yrs): Stone Age, Dungeon Petz,Agricola, Macao, Ra, and Cuba

Gamer 3: Age of Empires 3, Santa Cruz, Ra, Modern Art, Saint Petersburg, Power Grid, Seasons, Lost Cities.

What I'm deciding between, feel free to make other suggestions!

Galaxy Trucker
Goa
Princes of Florence
Hansa Teutonica
Milestones
Last Will
Fresco
Notre Dame
Trajan
Belfort
RoboRally
Pastiche
Takenoko
Lords of Vegas

Again, feel free to suggest others. I might have missed a gem that I'm not considering and should

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been many MANY! years since I was 13, but I think your sister will like Notre Dame, Pastiche, and Takenoko a lot. Of those three, I think Notre Dame will be liked best by all of you. In my experience with Pastiche, females like it better than males.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Lay
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Checked your ratings and it seems we have similar tastes! Thanks for your input, what about Notre Dame do you like a lot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ianenriquelay wrote:
I usually play with 3-4 players (my siblings ), so I'm looking for something that plays well with 3 and 4. My sister is 13 so I'm also looking for something that is not too heavy. I will post each players favorite games and see if you all can help me decide which games fits us the best.

Gamer 1 (Me!): Agricola, Power Grid, Age of Empires 3, Castles of Burgundy, Puerto Rico, Dungeon Petz, Kingsburg, Troyes, etc...hahaha

Gamer 2 (Sister/13yrs): Stone Age, Dungeon Petz,Agricola, Macao, Ra, and Cuba

Gamer 3: Age of Empires 3, Santa Cruz, Ra, Modern Art, Saint Petersburg, Power Grid, Seasons, Lost Cities.

What I'm deciding between, feel free to make other suggestions!

Galaxy Trucker
Goa
Princes of Florence
Hansa Teutonica
Milestones
Last Will
Fresco
Notre Dame
Trajan
Belfort
RoboRally
Pastiche
Takenoko
Lords of Vegas

Again, feel free to suggest others. I might have missed a gem that I'm not considering and should

I think your group would like Fresco and Galaxy Trucker.

I think your group will like the following too:
Amun-Re
Navegador
Tikal
London
Thurn & Taxis
Vasco da Gama
Ghost Stories
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorites from that list, all of which look like good candidates for your group, are:

thumbsup Goa
thumbsup Princes of Florence - though the graphics are a bit dated at this point
thumbsup Hansa Teutonica
thumbsupthumbsup Last Will - probably my biggest thumbs up to satisfy all 3 of you (particularly the mysterious "Gamer 3") ninja
thumbsup Notre Dame

Things I've played, but probably wouldn't recommend for you:
Galaxy Trucker's timed actions force a fast game, unlike any game you have listed
Fresco is a good game, but not top-tier
Trajan is mechanically good, but it strikes me as several random mini-games, only the "mancala" of which is all that interesting. It's also got to be the most themeless of all Feld's designs... I enjoy the feel of Macao, Year of the Dragon, Notre Dame and Castles of Burgundy, but Trajan just doesn't grab me.
Belfort seems designed for (and best with) 5 players, but the downtime with 5 players is pretty huge. A lot to like in this one, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Lay
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Hahaha Gamer 3 is my brother! Didn't even notice that; made me laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with Last Will from your list, and maybe Hansa Teutonica.
Not from your list, try Dominion, Caylus Magna Carta, and Small World.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael M
Puerto Rico
del Noreste
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

Ok, I haven't played them , but as a BGG enthusiast I'd say Notre Dame seems to round the basics/classics of your collection better.
Princes of Florence has that spatial element not present in other from your collection, and appears to be easy to understand.

In terms of additional ideas, I'd say Navegador(shares Macao's ships, good ratings) . Also it looks like you haven't considered the train games like Steam, highly rated , not similar to Ticket to Ride, and has that construct something feel.
Even though your examples seem to lean to heavy euros, for the amount of players and positive impressions around maybe the recent Libertalia might entertain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Takenoko only if you like the theme and enjoy looking at the pictures of the game here on bgg. Also only if you don't mind playing a light family kind of game with a good measure of luck in it. We love it. Not all do. This will be chaotic with 4. It plays nice with 2.

Get Pastiche if you love the theme and don't mind repetitious games. Again a very light family kind of game, with a great theme and great presentation, and a medium amount of luck. I don't know how it might play with 4.

Get Notre Dame if you want a worker placement game with building actions. The more you pick an action the better it may be. Someone looking for this game is looking for a mid-level complexity worker placement game say above Stone Age but no where near Agricola. Stefan Feld games are quality games. It will play well with your number of players.

Personally I'd go with Trajan. And that is a blind opinion. I haven't played it, but I will get to soon. I can't wait. Notre Dame isn't enough to grow into. Takenoko is very pretty. Pastiche has got that theme and all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Lay
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Hey there! Thanks for your suggestions. Hopefully we can set something up in the coming weeks to do some gaming. After all the messages I sent, someone else also contacted me and said they are willing to play. So maybe a game group can eventually come out of this! hahaha

raphaelus wrote:
Hi!

Ok, I haven't played them , but as a BGG enthusiast I'd say Notre Dame seems to round the basics/classics of your collection better.
Princes of Florence has that spatial element not present in other from your collection, and appears to be easy to understand.

In terms of additional ideas, I'd say Navegador(shares Macao's ships, good ratings) . Also it looks like you haven't considered the train games like Steam, highly rated , not similar to Ticket to Ride, and has that construct something feel.
Even though your examples seem to lean to heavy euros, for the amount of players and positive impressions around maybe the recent Libertalia might entertain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ianenriquelay wrote:
Checked your ratings and it seems we have similar tastes! Thanks for your input, what about Notre Dame do you like a lot?

Easy to understand and the card draft is fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.