7 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Black Widow rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael A

California
msg tools
She is quickly becoming one of my favorite heros to play, she allows me to draw extra cards, KO cards and then she kicks major mastermind ass when you start collecting bystandards, I had 10 at one point and she was literally destroying all in her wake on the rounds she was dealt. Get a few of those bad girls all working together and it is a site to behold.

Played the Killbot scheme solo with Dr. Doom, Skrulls and Mutates with 2 extra Hand Ninjas. Heroes were Emma Frost, Storm and Blackwidow. Emma and Storm carry the load early until Blackwidow starts taking down Masterminds late. Good times

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Widow isn't the only powerhouse in this respect. I had one game where I my deck had four or five of the Spidey cards that let you draw the top if its two or less, which those cards themselves are. I had hands where I was drawing three or four spideys in a row and achieved a similar cumulative effect. Wolverine and Gambit can also chain themsleves into card draws. There is another thread about Nick Fury doing the same thing as Window with shield agent KOs that gets wicked powerful. I don't remember how I did it, but I also had a rogue heavy deck that generated 30+ punches on one turn.

Conversely, I've not yet seen Hulk do anything nearly as amazing, but I have to admit I've not played him enough. It will be interesting to see how everybody rates certain heroes and, perhaps, can generate a "difficulty rating" of a scenario based on the heroes you put in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have something similar to that in my A Hero to Lead Them thread. While it doesn't examine the characters in a standard game, it does look at what a full deck of them looks like over a 20 turn game (not likely, but gives a good average to work from). And Black Widow was definitely among the most powerful. Her ability to rescue bystanders combined with powering up the more bystanders she rescues is already rather potent, but when you add in her ability to strip down her deck... Oh, boy, does it get ridiculous. To the point of turn seven being in the top 5 damage dealers, then quickly outclassing every other character in the game by a multiple of 5 (over twenty rounds, with no outside influences, she can get to an average of 56 damage a turn - with a 6 card deck that always deals 96 damage a turn; not a realistic end game, as that requires her having all of the Bystanders, but she should be able to get enough in a normal game to be grabbing 40-50 damage a turn at that point - if it gets that far).
Haven't looked at how the characters interact to make the game more or less difficult (heroes alone, that would be over 3000 distinct combinations, with even more once you consider the impact of the masterminds, villains, henchmen, and schemes, not to mention how the number of players messes with the number of henchmen, villain groups, an bystanders in the villain deck).

Still, I think the table I came up with is a reasonable start, all things considered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Babel
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a game with her and Deadpool last night. Having deadpool hand out bystanders and then collecting them was a great combo. I had 14 bystanders at the end. (no special scheme, all through deadpool, BW and the 2 coming out of the deck).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
Conversely, I've not yet seen Hulk do anything nearly as amazing, but I have to admit I've not played him enough. It will be interesting to see how everybody rates certain heroes and, perhaps, can generate a "difficulty rating" of a scenario based on the heroes you put in the game.

Depends, really. Other heroes seem to get much stronger as the game goes on, but Hulk is rather straitforward and a powerhouse from the get-go. If you play Crazed Rampage (uncommon) and Unstoppable Hulk (common) that's 8 damage, plus all the other players get a wound. If you have Hulk Smash! (rare) it can do 10 damage by itself provided you've played a strength card already. So, with three cards played in succession, you've made 18 damage without relying on any outside influence (and messed with the other players if that's your thing--or perhaps helped). In that scenario playing his other common would net another 3 attack. He may not scale as big late game and have crazy combos, but he comes out swinging for sure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Agreed about Black Widow, Wolverine, and others, making some fun combos.

The only hero I've been disappointed with, both thematically and how it plays, is Thor. Anyone else feel the same? I mean, he's Thor... I want to put the smack down on someone rather than make him the "Goldilocks" poster boy to recruit others. I know his rare card allows him to hit on 8 recruit (or something like that... don't have cards with me) but only had it happen a couple of times and felt rather lackluster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Thor seemed kind of wierd. His rare lets you use Recuit as Attack. There's a couple good attack cards in there, but he's mostly built for recuitment, which is cool in a way. I'd imagine a good strategy with him is to buy up Thor cards early (ignoring Maria Hill and trying to whittle down those SHIELD Agents), which will let you recuit some good stuff later when it comes up, then playing into God of Thunder for some massive, massive damage late game. Especially if you have some card draws in there.

Another bonus is that most of the cool powers I've seen are on cards that are primarily recruit, and those will pay dividends with God of Thunder. Or something, I don't know (I'm just talking). cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.