Subject: Want to Confirm a few rules. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
My wife and I played this for the second time (standard game) tonight. We both really like it. Below are some of the issues we encountered, I am sure most of these are covered in the rules (and I've read through them twice), but I am notoriously bad about misinterpreting rules blush. Appreciate feedback to what we are doing correct or incorrect.

Mission card SHD-3 has a destination of "Desert Planet", I assume this is "Desert World", but it appears to be a mis-print

Are there any limits to ship upgrade purchases? I know you are limited to 3 buy/3 sell during first contact, 1 buy/1 sell when arriving at a city/spaceport on your movement phase, and unlimited buy/sell when staying on a city/spaceport for your entire turn (ie: not taking a movement phase). We are playing that upgrades cost one of your buy actions, but being able to jack your shield/laser/cargo to max during one turn just seems odd.

Can you assign a movement die to a ship function/upgrade when you do not take a movement? We have been playing that you roll the dice and can assign without taking a movement.

Picking up passengers is a free action if on the same location during movement phase, correct?

When delivered, we have been placing passenger back into the pool, is this correct or should they be removed from the game once moved to destination?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
cletusk82 wrote:

Are there any limits to ship upgrade purchases? I know you are limited to 3 buy/3 sell during first contact, 1 buy/1 sell when arriving at a city/spaceport on your movement phase, and unlimited buy/sell when staying on a city/spaceport for your entire turn (ie: not taking a movement phase). We are playing that upgrades cost one of your buy actions, but being able to jack your shield/laser/cargo to max during one turn just seems odd.

They do count as a buy, but if you have the money, you can certainly upgrade to max if you have unlimited buys.

Quote:
Can you assign a movement die to a ship function/upgrade when you do not take a movement? We have been playing that you roll the dice and can assign without taking a movement.

If you roll movement, you are required to move. If you choose to stay put, you skip your whole movement step.

Quote:
Picking up passengers is a free action if on the same location during movement phase, correct?

No, picking up and dropping off passengers happens during the Transaction phase. They don't count as buys or sells, so you can pick up or drop off without affecting the 1 buy/1 sell in the first turn landing, but you can't pick up or drop off unless you end your movement at a planet and do a Transaction phase there.

The Shuttles upgrade is an exception to this, which lets you pick up/drop off passengers during at the beginning or end of the move phase instead (but you have to assign a die to the Shuttles to use it, which means you can't use it if you stay put and don't roll dice).

Quote:
When delivered, we have been placing passenger back into the pool, is this correct or should they be removed from the game once moved to destination?

In the Standard game, they are discarded. I think in the Classic game, they are returned to the cup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rampson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cletusk82 wrote:
I know you are limited to 3 buy/3 sell during first contact, 1 buy/1 sell when arriving at a city/spaceport on your movement phase, and unlimited buy/sell when staying on a city/spaceport for your entire turn (ie: not taking a movement phase).

I agree with everything Scott wrote. However, I think the quoted section of your question contains an error. You are not limited to 1 buy/1 sell when you stop at a spaceport, ONLY when you land on a surface city.

The Rules, p. 12 wrote:

Important Exception: If the current player lands on a system's surface city during the movement phase of the same turn, he can perform only one buy and one sell action in the subsequent Transaction phase.

I believe the idea is that you spend more time landing on a surface city, which cuts into your time to buy and sell, while landing at a spaceport is easier and therefore leaves you with more time to shop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cletusk82 wrote:
My wife and I played this for the second time (standard game) tonight. We both really like it....

Like you, this edition was our first exposure to MoV. We liked the Standard game too. I would strongly suggest, however, that you try out the Classic version before too long.

All four of the players in our household think Classic is the superior version. (So much so that I don't think we'll play Standard again.) If you do make the switch, you'll have to watch out for some of the rules that are slightly different between Standard and Classic.

cletusk82 wrote:
... Mission card SHD-3 has a destination of "Desert Planet", I assume this is "Desert World", but it appears to be a mis-print...

It is the planet in the Desert World system. I don't think it's a misprint as such, but perhaps it could have been clearer.

cletusk82 wrote:
...When delivered, we have been placing passenger back into the pool, is this correct or should they be removed from the game once moved to destination? ...

There is no 'pool' in Standard Game. Remember that passengers only come up every other turn. The number of passengers (15) is such that there is exactly the right number for them all to come out over the course of a 30 turn game.

[Edit: As said by an earlier poster, in the Classic game Passengers go into the bag and can reappear.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cletusk82 wrote:
My wife and I played this for the second time (standard game) tonight. We both really like it. Below are some of the issues we encountered, I am sure most of these are covered in the rules (and I've read through them twice), but I am notoriously bad about misinterpreting rules blush. Appreciate feedback to what we are doing correct or incorrect.

Mission card SHD-3 has a destination of "Desert Planet", I assume this is "Desert World", but it appears to be a mis-print

Presumably.

Quote:

You have one rule wrong--space ports have no limit on the number of buys/sells.

Yes, each good, drive, ship upgrade, shield/laser point, additional hold is one "buy".

Quote:

Nope--you still get the movement.

Quote:

Picking up or delivering a passenger is not an action.

Quote:

Passengers should be removed from play once delivered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.