19 Posts

Advanced Squad Leader» Forums » Variants

Subject: Scenarios for 1930s ??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anything published on the Spanish Civil War? Abyssinian Campaign? China vs Japan? Stuff in Manchuria
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Cameron
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronak wrote:
Anything published on the Spanish Civil War?

Yes.

Gronak wrote:
Anything published on the Abyssinian Campaign?

Yes.

Gronak wrote:
Anything published on China vs Japan?

Yes.

Gronak wrote:
Anything published on Manchuria

Yes - both pre-1939 and in 1945.

No doubt others will come along with more helpful responses (in the form of scenario references etc) - but yes to all four.

See: http://www.aslscenarioarchive.com/index.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
excellent search & database on that archive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
There are even third party scenarios for the Chaco War between Bolivia and Paraguay, but they aren't easy to find in print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vicca
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Soldiers of the Negus will be republished by MMP in the Italian module seemingly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ASLNoob wrote:
Perhaps the most interesting ASL product that focuses on pre-war conflicts is From the Cellar: Pack 4which includes 20 scenarios set during the Russian Civil War back in the 1920s.

I SOOOO want this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have to wonder if the SL/ASL mechanics are no longer very historical by the 1920's.

Where did the "small unit tactics" concept exist prior to around 1916 when the Germans started to develop their infiltration tactics? Prior to that you had large numbers of men on a broad front doing the same thing (advancing, volley fire...).

Anyone know the genesis of "squad" tactics? They certainly didn't get too far developed by the end of WWI. Of course the Nazis had an active war college, but what did the British, French, and Americans do between the wars? What happened during the colonial wars prior to WWI with squads?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John Hill wrote an article called "The Evolution of Small Unit Tactics" or something like that in the General, republished in the 89 Annual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Who has copies?

The GENERAL Vol.14,No.2
Squad Leader – “A Squad Leader Preview - The Building of Squad Leader” (Designer Notes) John Hill (I)

The GENERAL Vol.14,No.5
Squad Leader – “Historical Commentary - The Evolution of Small Unit Tactics” (Designer Notes) John Hill (I)
Squad Leader – “Squad Leader First Impressions” (Discussion) Bob Medrow
Design Analysis – “Game Design: Art or Science - An evaluation of the Squad Leader Game Design” Don Greenwood, Robert Wayt Smith, Harold E. Hock
The Question Box - Squad Leader

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vicca
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Check out the VFTT web site for all the generals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Vinnie37 wrote:

??? Who ??? URL please

And what I meant was who has copies on his shelf & is interested enough to report on what John said about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronak wrote:
Vinnie37 wrote:

??? Who ??? URL please

And what I meant was who has copies on his shelf & is interested enough to report on what John said about it.

Try this: http://www.vftt.co.uk/ah_general.asp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
For China vs Japan, I highly recommend Bounding Fire Production's Blood and Jungle. It's one of the best ASL products, official or unofficial, ever published in my opinion and has several 1930s China vs Japan actions, ranging from combined arms urban brawls to rural infantry only actions. Highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eoin Corrigan wrote:
For China vs Japan, I highly recommend Bounding Fire Production's Blood and Jungle. It's one of the best ASL products, official or unofficial, ever published in my opinion and has several 1930s China vs Japan actions, ranging from combined arms urban brawls to rural infantry only actions. Highly recommended.

Strangely, "Blood and jungle" is all about city fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ASLNoob wrote:
marticabre wrote:
Eoin Corrigan wrote:

Strangely, "Blood and jungle" is all about city fight.

Why would you say that?

Out of the 47 scenarios in B&J maybe 12 or 13 take place in cities, and those are Asian cities with predominately small wood buildings.

The other 35 or so scenarios are in jungle or open ground or small villages.

Really? I had the opposite idea... I must be wrong, then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vicca
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To be fair, a lot of the talk about B&J is centred around some of their Chinese/Japanese fights which takle place in urban areas but I think that's more because they are easy to get into and quite different from run of the mill mid war Japanese senarios (although there are plenty of them in B&J). It is a very veruy good package.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.