Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel West
United States
Springfield
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did I confuse you with that title? Great! Now that you're reading though, let me elaborate on what I am looking for. First of all, I am a seasoned gamer who has played a lot of modern games. However, recently I went through a major burnout phase in which most of my strategy games no longer interested me. So, I took some months off of playing and sold off most of my collection except for a few strategic games I was still excited about and all of my party games.

Well, fast forward to now, and the burnout has worn off enough that I am ready to pick up some new games. In order to get there though, I had to analyze what kept me excited about the couple games I held on to. I realized what I liked about those games was that the games had a set of rules, but the game components that direct gameplay for a session can be changed, meaning each game provides a new challenge, and these games feel like they are constantly giving me something to discover.

I think I can best illustrate that by listing the two shining examples of what I kept. Those would be Dominion and Power Grid. Since the supply cards in Dominion are extremely varied, especially with the expansions, the ten cards that will be in play change every game, meaning there are tons of new combos to discover. Again, this is especially true with the last three expansions. In Power Grid, there are several expansion maps. At this point, I believe there are 14 total maps with 2 more on the way. On top of that, at least one region will not be used in each map every game. Since the goal of the game is to build and power a network, and the layout of the area where a network can be built is always changing, the game is constantly throwing out a new challenge which must be explored and discovered. I really like that exploration and discovery.

Unfortunately, too many games I've enjoyed seem to have too little to discover after a few plays. For example, in Glen More, a great game, there are only so many ways to get points. After a few plays, a player will have gone down all of those paths to victory, whether successful or not. While refining the journey down those paths is still an option, there isn't too much left in the way of discovery.

This leads me back to what I am looking for. To help guide the suggestions, let me offer a few additional criteria. When this is all said and done, I'd like to have about 3 games that work with 2-3 players, and 3 more that work with 4-5 players. Preferably, all of these games will be playable in 2 hours or less. I would like to have very little homework between games, meaning collectible games are out with all of the research and deck construction before playing. I would also prefer to avoid playing games that are highly similar to other games I play, so I am not looking for more deckbuilders or engine/network building games. Also, as I mentioned, I already have several party games, so I am now looking for games with calculating strategy. As long as it meets the above criteria, throw out any game you think works. Theme doesn't matter, and it can be ameritrash, abstract, or euro. All that I care about is whether the components that set the tone for each session be not static, so that the game has a dynamic aspect to it between plays.

And for the record, after doing some initial research, I did buy and do love Seasons

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance to all who are willing to read it and accept the challenge of trying to think of a qualifying game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps a tableau building game such as London or Last Will. You're making card combinations so each game is different, and timing is also a major factor.

Agricola is a highly replayable worker placement game. The cards allow you to try different strategies each time. I don't know if Walnut Grove is heavy enough for you, but the setup randomizes the Round tiles and Bonus tiles, and you're drawing and choosing tiles to place on your board, giving a different game each time.

If money was no object, I would say Antiquity, as the board is modular, and you can choose your victory conditions, so it is a very different game each time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played Merchant of Venus, I think that will have high replayability, as you never know where the cultures will come out, or what the best routes between them are.

Le Havre, I believe, gives you a different set of cards each time you play.

I also heard a good review on The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast for Glory To Rome - I think this would be quite replayable.

I also like Yomi, because although the powers are the same, there's lots of decks in the box, and lots of combinations of opponents - I'd imagine Summoner wars would offer similar possibilities.

Memoir 44 has a LOT of expansions, so if you want something scenario based, then this might be for you.

Hope these suggestions help,
T.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island? I don't know if you've ruled out co-operative games, but in terms of different set ups this game seems to be perfect.

Not only is the island different every game, but there are different cards, different characters to play, different technologies to build, different starting items, and a large number of different scenarios to play. Ignacy has done a fantastic video focussing on the replayability of Robinson Crusoe where he details all the permutations (episode 3 of his Robinson Crusoe videos).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Springfield
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
Perhaps a tableau building game such as London or Last Will. You're making card combinations so each game is different, and timing is also a major factor.

Agricola is a highly replayable worker placement game. The cards allow you to try different strategies each time. I don't know if Walnut Grove is heavy enough for you, but the setup randomizes the Round tiles and Bonus tiles, and you're drawing and choosing tiles to place on your board, giving a different game each time.

If money was no object, I would say Antiquity, as the board is modular, and you can choose your victory conditions, so it is a very different game each time.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far!

I actually used to own Last Will, and it was one of the games I sold off when downsizing my collection. I found that all cards could be divided up into those that involved spending money, and those that enhanced the money spending cards. Unfortunately, the enhancing cards were very specific, meaning they had to be combined with an exact type of card. After about a half dozen plays, I had run farm combos, real estate depreciation combos, event combos, and combos for cards that automatically spent money every turn, and I had seen all of the cards that worked in those combos. After enough plays, each of those combos had been explored to the fullest since almost every card comes into play each game, and there was nothing new for me to discover. Before that point hit though, I do think it was one of the funniest and funnest engine building games I have played.

London looks like it may have the same issue. From what I can tell, the game ends when the deck is gone through, and the deck determines how the game plays out, meaning that every card will see the game, and the only variance is in which player will get each card each game. If there are several repeats of any cards, for me this will decrease variability by a lot.

Antiquity is indeed a little too pricey for me right now.

Walnut grove technically has a difference each game, but since the same 8 round tiles are used in each game, and every player will use the same types of terrains in the tiles they lay in their area, the game doesn't have the type of variance I am looking for. I want variance where every game I am presented with something I haven't seen before, like the different sets of kingdom cards in Dominion.

Agricola is a bit closer, and I have discussed it with another friend. I really like how the cards allow for players to have a dynamic focus in each game. The one thing holding me back is that even though the focus for players may change, the main gameplay experience is the actual worker placement, and again, the places workers can be placed are the same in every game. I really like the worker placement mechanic though, and if there was a good worker placement game where there was a lot of variety in the placement locations used between games, then I would be all over it. Maybe I simply need to take another look at Lords of Waterdeep.

Thanks again for the suggestions. They did alert me to some games I didn't already know about. Let me know what else you can think of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Springfield
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
malibu_babe_28 wrote:
Having played Merchant of Venus, I think that will have high replayability, as you never know where the cultures will come out, or what the best routes between them are.

Le Havre, I believe, gives you a different set of cards each time you play.

I also heard a good review on The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast for Glory To Rome - I think this would be quite replayable.

I also like Yomi, because although the powers are the same, there's lots of decks in the box, and lots of combinations of opponents - I'd imagine Summoner wars would offer similar possibilities.

Memoir 44 has a LOT of expansions, so if you want something scenario based, then this might be for you.

Hope these suggestions help,
T.

Thanks Christina, I really like where your suggestions are going.

Merchant of Venus looks like a great game, but it has the same issue I described as with Walnut Grove, which is that while the order of the cultures will change, they will all still see the game every game, so there isn't really something new to see with each game.

I have heard of Glory to Rome, but I haven't researched it much. I will check it out.

Between Summoner Wars and Yomi, I think Summoner Wars sounds a bit more appealing, and it is one of the games I have been contemplating for a while. Yomi has different decks, but those decks are static. Summoner Wars does technically have homework with deck construction if I were to also buy reinforcements, but it sounds like that will only take a few minutes right before the game starts, which is quite different from constructing a Magic deck. I actually like that short preparation option over Yomi with the decks for each character that are the same. I think though that I will wait until I inevitably buy an I-pad, and then get the full digital version of Summoner Wars on that with all factions, for a lot less than it would take to get the physical copies.

Memoir 44 is indeed a great suggestion, and I do find the different scenarios appealing, especially with the possibility for several different types of units and terrain and goals. I will definitely add that to my strong consideration list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Springfield
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
entwife wrote:
How about Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island? I don't know if you've ruled out co-operative games, but in terms of different set ups this game seems to be perfect.

Not only is the island different every game, but there are different cards, different characters to play, different technologies to build, different starting items, and a large number of different scenarios to play. Ignacy has done a fantastic video focussing on the replayability of Robinson Crusoe where he details all the permutations (episode 3 of his Robinson Crusoe videos).

Kim, yes I do indeed appreciate a well done cooperative. In fact, one game I am considering is Space Alert, since the experience of each mission is determined by which threats come out each game, and there are several that come with the game, meaning hardly any of the available threats are seen each game.

I did watch the video you suggested, and you are right, this designer is doing what I wish more designers would do, which is include so many different pieces that they combine to provide almost limitless new ways to see the game. He mentioned having several different scenarios, having tech trees that change between games (brilliant concept!), having 5 times as many event cards as a single game would need, etc. etc. This adds so much replayability and discovery in a game that many euros are missing in my humble opinion.

So with that said, after these suggestions so far, the games I am looking at are Robinson Crusoe, Lords of Waterdeep, Memoir 44, and Space Alert. Are there any other ideas anyone else has?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are leaving worker placement, then you may want to take a look at Fluxx and Illuminati.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleCON: War of Indines, a fighting-themed card game for 2-4 players, but best played with two players. Games are quick enough that you can play a series of 2-player matches in a tournament with many players.

There are a fixed number of characters, and each character has a fixed deck of cards but the characters play dramatically different. In addition, none of the cards are played on their own for individual effect, but rather combine in sets of two for a unique combined effect. So you can, for example, play the Fiery card with the Burst card one turn for a Fiery Burst, or play the Fiery card with the Grab card for a Fiery Grab. Or you might play the Sudden Burst instead. Once you use a particular set of cards, those cards become unavailable for a little while.

There is no random draw deck, and there is no dice, so the only randomness in the game is trying to figure out what move your opponent will use.

Once the combination of cards is revealed, you look at the combined values to find out who acts first, how both combatants move, the range and damage of their attack, and any special effects that occur. It's very interesting. It's possible, for example to move away from an opponent and blast him at long range ("Evasive Blast!") and get out of range of his attack, or for him to execute a quicker attack that occurs before yours ("Sudden Grab!") There's a lot you can do by mix and matching a set of a dozen highly-themed cards.

You can download a free demo off the website of Level 99 Games. They also have a reduced-price print-and-play version you can buy if you enjoy the possibility of making your own cards. I think they even provide you blank templates in case you want to customize the game by inventing new cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Team D20 wrote:
Walnut grove technically has a difference each game, but since the same 8 round tiles are used in each game, and every player will use the same types of terrains in the tiles they lay in their area, the game doesn't have the type of variance I am looking for. I want variance where every game I am presented with something I haven't seen before, like the different sets of kingdom cards in Dominion.

I suspect Walnut Grove isn't the game you want, but I want to make sure you understand the level of variability so you are making an informed decision. Each game, you only use a handful of the end-game bonus point tiles. Which tiles are in and out of the game make a huge difference to your strategy, and of course competition for them can be fierce. In 1-3 player games, the mix of sheds vs. houses also significantly affects the game. And there are several ways you can try to build your farm, working within the constraints of which tiles you draw. You can go for big areas, or many areas, or fenced areas, or mostly food, or mostly goods to sell. The order of the year disks also matters, as does the location and colors of workers for hire.

Anyway, like I said, it's probably not the game for you. But it does have far more variability than your response hinted at.

One of my friends really appreciates Lords of Waterdeep specifically because of the variability. The order the buildings come out does shape each game. Personally, I don't think it varies as much as WG, however.

Have you looked at Caylus Magna Carta? The buildings are a much larger part of the game than in LoW, so the variation can be quite dramatic. On the other hand, LoW adds variable quests, where CMC has a static set of buildings and castle tiles.

I haven't played it, but Small World seems to have quite a bit of variability in the races. And I believe a later version/expansion offers a variable map as well.

I had to laugh at the Fluxx suggestion. I'm sure it's not what you were looking for, but it sure has changing components!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw your other thread where you described playing CMC. So never mind that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Agricola, to me, is not about the worker placement. Every game plays differently because of a number of intertwined reasons

1) The worker spaces. Each game they can come out in a slightly different order, plus someone else can get to a space you want before you get there.

2) The cards. They really switch up your gameplay as you efficiently collect resources to maximize your points, and each game is different

3) the spaces (again). some spaces accumulate resources from turn to turn EG one space has 3 wood put on it every round and if it's not collected, the new wood is added to the old wood. So do you get the three wood you need now this turn or do you hope noone takes it and you get 6 wood next turn (assuming you're first)? This, in effect, gives you an extra action

4) Number of players. There are unique extra spaces for 3, 4, and 5 players (2 players don't have extra).

All this adds up to a good player refocusing his main strategies each game as his cards allow him to slightly neglect one aspect in favor of others

You should also have a look at Innovation. That game is never the same game twice. Every game is drastically different and shows me something new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Sentinels of the Multiverse
The first thing you do is decide which heroes each player will be using, which villain they will be fighting, and in which location they will fight. The decisions will impact which decks of cards you use to play the game, so you can play many varieties of the same game. The base game included a LOT of heroes, four villains, and four locations. Each expansion includes a couple more of each. In the base game, there are 20 decks of cards if I'm remembering correctly and a typical 4-player game will use only 6 of those 20. Each expansion adds 8 more decks to add to the number of possible combinations. Presently, there are two expansions available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory J
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Brook. The sheer number of heroes/villains/environments means that you could play an almost limitless # of games that are not the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Springfield
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks for all of the new suggestions.

Sentinels and BattleCON-Both look like they will be a lot of fun in play. I definitely will need to try before I buy though, because I am highly hesitant of games with pre-built decks. They will probably be very balanced, but I like the idea of developing my own strategy more than following the strategy for a deck of cards set up for me. It does look like BattleCON does come with some additional cards for some uniqeness within the decks. Is that correct?

Agricola- While it is true that each game will play out differently, that is also true of every game ever, except for maybe Tic-tac-toe. Just because two games play out differently doesn't mean there is more to discover for me. I do acknowledge this is a personal taste issue, but I like it when there are alternative boards that can be swapped in and out of games for instance.

Walnut Grove- Kevin, that was in fact something I didn't see when watching video reviews. How many scoring tokens will be left out of each game? That could indeed provide a lot of variety. I agree with your assessment of Lords of Waterdeep though. That was an example of a game that started to go where I wanted, but not quite completely. The central buildings which are in every game are the most important, so the additional buildings don't offer too many unique opportunities that will be missed when they are not included.

CMC- I did like this game, but I felt the one thing holding it back for me personally was that there were too few cards in the players' decks. Each player had one copy of the 12 unique cards in the game. By the end of most games I've played, at least one copy of each of those 12 cards had been put on the road. If each player's deck had 25 cards instead, then it would be highly improbable that all 25 cards would see every game. Personally, that is what I would like most, a version of CMC where there are more buildings than it is possible to build in a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The scoring tokens and buildings used in Walnut Grove depend on the number of players. For buildings, 2 on each spot in a 2p game, for a total of 4 (not necessarily 2 of each). The bonus tiles likewise get 2 per building in a 2p game, for a total of 4 used per game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Team D20 wrote:
I am highly hesitant of games with pre-built decks.

Part of your criteria was not to include games with deck construction.

Team D20 wrote:
They will probably be very balanced, but I like the idea of developing my own strategy more than following the strategy for a deck of cards set up for me.

Both games have a little bit of "pre-determined strategy". To be honest, any game with asymmetrical "factions" will have this, which is a feature I tend to look for in games.

While both games have a bit of this, it will be more noticeable in Sentinels than in BattleCON. In BattleCON, the term "deck" is a bit of a misnomer, because you start with all the cards in your hand so you don't actually have a deck at all.

On the subject of trying before you buy... Trying Sentinels will be easy if you have access to a local gamestore or boardgame meetup, as the game seems to be rising in popularity. BattleCON is much harder to find, but you can download a playable print-and-play demo off their website (Level 99 Games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Springfield
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that info, Brooks. You are right that I am not looking for a deckbuilder, and that has been a big part of the problem. I am realizing after that burnt out period that to avoid it happening again too quickly, I have become very picky with my game selection. Unfortunately, the bar has been set very high as Dominion and Power Grid are two of the top rated games. I do think Seasons has met the criteria though by starting the game with a quick card draft, which technically is deck construction, but since only 9 cards are being drafted, unlike 30ish in a Magic draft tournament, the homework there only takes about 10 minutes. In a similar vein, I am also considering Summoner Wars still. Even though there is deck construction between the original factions and the reinforcements, because there are so few cards for each faction even with the reinforcements packs, that can be done in ten minutes. If Sentinels were to copy the reinforcements idea by having extra cards for each hero, and the players intentionally exclude some of them while including others to customize the heroes just a little bit, I would be all over that game. I love the theme and artwork. Same is true of BattleCON. If games with pre-set decks had just a few extra cards and minimal construction, I would be much more enthusiastic about the idea. I will see if my FLGSs has a copy for try though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Eichenberg
Germany
Bretten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For 4-5 players i can recommend Cosmic Encounter.

Every player starts as one of 50 very different alien races and tries to conquer planets from the other players. But you can not do it on your own. You have to forge alliances, find the right time to betray and back stab your allies and deal with ever shifting constellations.

The core rules are very simple, but each alien race tweak the rules in a different way. And then you have a deck of cards (every player has a hand of cards), each of which also tweak the rules.

The replayability of this game is very, very high. I had not one game that was like any other (i am playing this game for the last 20 years). And almost every game had a story to tell, a story that we talked about even days later.

But beware: Cosmic Encounter is a "bring your own fun" type of game. You need to play with people who like backstabbing and playing a role. Then this game shines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McClure
United States
Fowler
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried Kingdom Builder?

It gets a bit of a bad wrap from some folks around here, but it fits your criteria for varying play from session to session. It is deeper than you think with interesting and difficult decisions throughout.

The scoring changes every game, similar to dominion's kingdom layout changing each time out. Plus the board and available powers change as well.

Oh yeah and most of this game's detractors have it all wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, since you asked for a Game System you may want to go that extra mile and have a look at Warmachine or Hordes.

Yes, a miniatures game.
Yes, you need to assemble them at least.
Yes, it will be more "work" than your average boardgame.
Yes, it probably won't come any closer to what you're looking for.

And why is that last point?
Basically, your force centers around a mage, who has a great influence on how you will approach your enemy because of his selection of abilities and spells. Depending on your force composition some of those spells and abilities will more or less beneficial. So you have replayability even with the same center of your army.

Even without switching any units you will have to adapt, using your caster's arsenal of spells and your units' abilities in another way than you did last game - simply because your opponent is likely to changing his approach as well.

Now change your caster for another caster, but leave the units. Different abilities, different spells, completely different to play. Proceed down that path and change some units as well and your force plays nothing like it did before. Where you were grinding down your enemy with ultra-durable constructs you are now going directly for the throat with fast assassination units - for the cost of not being able to take a beating.

Last thing, add in different factions as opponents. There are 5 factions in each, Warmachine and Hordes, each one with quite a selection of casters and units.

Plus the different scenarios - there's way more than just smashing your opponent.

Yes, it's miniatures game, that will cost more than a boardgame in the long run and it requires more effort. But I think it could be what you are looking for.

A starter box, conatining short rules and a battlegroup consisting of a caster and 2-3 warjacks/warbeasts will do nicely for the beginning and sells for $50. If you decide to get into it, you can buy the rulebook. But for your first games you won't need anything more than the starter box provides, except some dice and a measuring tape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The Warmachine description above reminded of Pixel Tactics, due to the leader ("caster") mechanism. In addition to being able to customize your army/deck, you can start the game with a particular leader which effects how all your other units work.

Since it's a "mini-game", it probably won't satisfy the need you are looking for but it sounds like your type of game and will likely be priced pretty cheap once it's available for retail.

It's designed by the maker of BattleCON: War of the Indines, and thematically uses the same world & characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Team D20 wrote:
Walnut Grove- Kevin, that was in fact something I didn't see when watching video reviews. How many scoring tokens will be left out of each game? That could indeed provide a lot of variety.

There are 21 "improvement" tiles (for end-game scoring) in the box. As Indigo said, anywhere from 4 to 8 of them will appear in each game. There are 7 distinct types of improvements, so I'm guessing there are 3 copies of each, but can't confirm that right now.

The variability in improvement tiles (plus in the building tiles in 1-3p games) is what alters your strategy from game to game. The sequence of the year disks and the tiles you draw are the main factors that (dramatically) affect your tactics, although obviously both have long-term strategic implications as well. The color and placement of available workers for hire is a minor variability boost.

There are 50 landscape tiles in the bag. Each game, you will draw an average of 3 per turn, keeping 1, repeating for 8 turns. (One turn you get to keep 2.) So even in a 4p game, at the end, only 36 of the 50 tiles will have been used. Of course the tiles are all "similar" in that they have some combination of the 5 colors. But the configuration is important, and the fences (or lack thereof) can be important too.

I think between the improvement and landscape tiles, there might be enough variability for you. But if you see the landscape tiles as being too samey, the game probably won't have the feel you are looking for. It is also more variable with 2p than it is with 4p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Springfield
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really liking the BGG community!

Kevin, I really appreciate your ability to recognize difference in taste. I have seen some recommendations where fans can't believe that anyone wouldn't like their favorite game, like the current CCG debate. That alone makes me want to try out Walnut Grove. Your cautions definitely reinforce that I should try before I buy, but I do want to try it.

Brooke, you are right in your assessment of Pixel Tactics not appealing to me that much. It looks like it would be fun to play, but my current desire is to only own games I believe will have that long term playability, so that I really get my money's worth.

Steve, I have tried Kingdom Builder. I thought it was good, but it didn't wow me quite enough to buy it. With that said, I have not tried the Nomads expansion, so that could be enough to win me over if I ever get the chance to try that.

Steffen, I have played Cosmic Encounter, and it does match what I am looking for. Am I wrong though in classifying it as a party game more than a strategy game? It seems like a party games since the gameplay revolves around making partnership sales pitches while trying to keep secret the power cards one has available. Oddly enough, the criteria I am looking for is almost always present in party games. With just one expansion, the deck for a round of Dixit is larger than a full size group needs. Wits & Wagers has enough questions for 100 games. Apples to Apples has tons of adjectives and noun cards. What I want are more strategy games that follows suit with that.

Perturabo, I may not have given the best explanation behind my lack of desire for collectibles. At this point in life, I don't have a lot of time. Additionally, many of my friends don't have a lot of time or money as they are getting married, buying houses, having kids, etc. Since I am still single and without children, I can more easily afford to have a few games. If I can have only a few, I can teach the rules to those friends, and with the changing components, use those games over and over in the limited time I get with them. While I could make the time to assemble miniatures armies I like, or construct CCG decks I like, if I want to play with my friends (which is my personal goal in gaming), I have to have games where they don't need to do too much homework outside of learning the rules, and they need to especially not need to spend much money. This is why Dominion works so much better than Magic, and also why Power Grid is such a great option.

So with that in mind, I have a question that can hopefully inspire some new suggestions. I mentioned before that I like how Power Grid has alternative boards. How many games can you guys list that have at least 2 alternative boards to play on. I am already aware of Ticket to Ride and the Martin Wallace train series. What am I missing though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Team D20 wrote:
So with that in mind, I have a question that can hopefully inspire some new suggestions. I mentioned before that I like how Power Grid has alternative boards. How many games can you guys list that have at least 2 alternative boards to play on. I am already aware of Ticket to Ride and the Martin Wallace train series. What am I missing though?

Empire Builder Rail Games. There are at least a dozen or so. Same rules (with a few features added here or there), but different maps. Within each game session, 2p won't even get through half the deck, I think. But it's all pretty samey, so probably not what you want. I have logged 50+ plays of various crayon rails games, and want to keep playing, but my threshold for variability is lower than yours. Of course since each game is a game, not an expansion, you'll pay full price for each.

Railways of the World series (family of games), related to Wallace, I think, but not Steam).

Risk (family of games)

Lighter games:
Android: Infiltration, where you use less than half the cards each game
10 Days in... (family of games)
Transamerica (family of games)
PitchCar
I think some racing games like Formula Dé? I have not played them, but I recall seeing multiple tracks.

Co-op:
Flash Point: Fire Rescue

On a different note, I just thought of some other games for your original criteria (as opposed to maps):

20th Century, which has variability in the land tiles, tech tiles, disasters, and interim bonus scoring criteria. Probably at slightly higher variability than Walnut Grove. Might be worth a look.

Star Trek: Fleet Captains, which has a lot more ships in the box than you're going to use each game, and has randomly placed hexes as the board. I'm not sure how many of the hexes you use/don't use each game.

Galaxy Trucker. Gads I was glad when that game finally ended. I'm not a Vlaada fan (he is 0 for 3 with me).

I keep wanting to suggest tile-laying or other modular-board games. I assume that's not what you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.