Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that if you use 1 spade to terraform a terrain and have one left over, you can use it to terraform another terrain.

What happens if you do not need to terraform the built terrain but still take the +2 spades power action, can you use the unused 2 spades to terraform something else? If yes, can you use the spades to terraform two different terrains?

The rule does not cover that corner case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Roy
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johncraven wrote:
The rules say that if you use 1 spade to terraform a terrain and have one left over, you can use it to terraform another terrain.

What happens if you do not need to terraform the built terrain but still take the +2 spades power action, can you use the unused 2 spades to terraform something else? If yes, can you use the spades to terraform two different terrains?

I think that case probably counts as trying to do two action in just one. Building on a space already your home terrain and terraforming another space are separate actions. You can't combine them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph M.
Germany
Bösel
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rules wrote:
1 Transform and Build
First, you may change the type of one Terrain space. Then, if you
have changed its type to your Home terrain, you may immediately
build a Dwelling on that space.

So no. You cannot terreform one space and build on another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Lauke
Germany
Görlitz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
badge
Sponsored by AR147
mb
johncraven wrote:

The power action gives you Action No.1 with 2 spades inclusive.

Action No. 1 is Terraform and Build ... so at first you can terraform any direct or indirect adjacent fields into your home field. If you have spades left you can terraform an other field into your home field and so on. After this you can build one dwelling into one of these home fields.
If you only want to build without terraforming, the you can build in every direct or indirect adjacent home field.

So I answer your questions with yes and yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
If you take the 2 Spades power action, you have two options:

a) use the spades on 1 (or 2) map spaces and build on it (one of them)
b) do not use them at all and build on a map space that already is your home terrain, thus, wasting 6 power for nothing

You can't use the spades to transform 1 (or 2) spaces and then build on an absolutely unrelated map space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jordan Kane wrote:
johncraven wrote:

The power action gives you Action No.1 with 2 spades inclusive.

Action No. 1 is Terraform and Build ... so at first you can terraform any direct or indirect adjacent fields into your home field. If you have spades left you can terraform an other field into your home field and so on. After this you can build one dwelling into a direct or indirect adjacent home field.

So I answer your questions with yes and yes.

I do not believe this is right. The rules seem to indicate what everyone else here is saying: if you terraform, then that is the space you must build on. While re-reading, i did think that the rules could be more specific on this, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Lauke
Germany
Görlitz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
badge
Sponsored by AR147
mb
Sorry but in my rules there you have to fulfill 3 conditions to build a dwelling.

1. of your color (i.e. it needs to be your Home terrain)
2. unoccupied
3. directly or indirectly adjacent to one of your Structures (“Adjacency” is defined in the nextsection).

There is nothing stated that you have to build on a terraformed field. But you can terraform a field at first to build on it

Edit: if you terraform, then you have to build on one of these fields (official rule). Sorry for any confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The power action - 2 spades - allows you to do the following:

1. Terraform TWICE (either terraform a single land space two levels, or terraform two separate land spaces one level each).

2. AND Build ONCE (on one of the land spaces you just terraformed).

You can do both actions with this special action.

What you CANNOT do is ...

a. build twice
b. build on a space you did NOT terraform

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jordan Kane wrote:
Sorry but in my rules there you have to fulfill 3 conditions to build a dwelling.

1. of your color (i.e. it needs to be your Home terrain)
2. unoccupied
3. directly or indirectly adjacent to one of your Structures (“Adjacency” is defined in the nextsection).

There is nothing stated that you have to build on a terraformed field. But you can terraform a field at first to build on it.

First sentence, right above your requirements, states:
Rules wrote:
First, you may change the type of one Terrain space. Then, if you have changed its type to your Home terrain, you may immediately build a Dwelling on that space.

The rulebook goes on to refine this statement and to point out exceptions, but the basic premise of what the "Transform and Build" action does is in that sentence.

Later in the rules:
Rules wrote:
To ensure the first condition is met [1. of your color (i.e. it needs to be your Home terrain)], you are allowed to transform one unoccupied Terrain space into your Home terrain immediately before building a Dwelling. Place a Terrain tile of your color on that space.

This, again, indicates you are supposed to build on the Terraformed space, and not on another space, unless you forego Terraforming completely.

It would be nice if it had listed this as a requirement in the list of requirements, but it is in the rules.

Frank Hamrick wrote:
The power action - 2 spades - allows you to do the following:
1. Terraform TWICE (either terraform a single land space two levels, or terraform two separate land spaces one level each).

You may terraform one hex. If you only use up one spade to terraform that one hex to your own terrain, then, and only then, can you use the second spade on a second hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
so the consensus is you have to build on one of the two spaces you terraformed, or you dont terraform at all and waste the spades, but can then build on any existing home terrain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
johncraven wrote:
so the consensus is you have to build on one of the two spaces you terraformed, or you dont terraform at all and waste the spades, but can then build on any existing home terrain.

That sounds right. Also you can only transform 2 places if you turned the first one into your home terrain.

(It seems unclear if you can use none of them. I doubt many times a situation will come up where you want to spend 6 power just to block somebody from this action.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Knutsen
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johncraven wrote:

If you build, yes. You can also terraform without building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Lidström
msg tools
If I have two spades and I terraform the first space (which I will build on) with one spade (leaving me with one unused spade), can I then terraform a second space (which requires 2 spades) with the remaining spade AND use workers to get an additional spade?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Lauke
Germany
Görlitz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
badge
Sponsored by AR147
mb
I think ... No!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Roy
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ghost_trekker wrote:
If I have two spades and I terraform the first space (which I will build on) with one spade (leaving me with one unused spade), can I then terraform a second space (which requires 2 spades) with the remaining spade AND use workers to get an additional spade?

No. You can terraform the second space one step towards you home terrain with this action. Further terraforming and building must be done on a subsequent action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The basic idea is that a terraform and build action always lets you terraform one tile to your home terrain and build a dwelling on it (assuming you have the required resources and choose to spend them).

You can buy additional spades in order to complete the terraforming of that one tile, but once that's achieved, you're done.

There's an exception made if you get multiple spades from something and terraforming the chosen tile to your home terrain doesn't use them all (but does use at least one) - in that scenario (and only that scenario) you can, as a special concession, use the spare spades to also terraform another hex.

If you get a group of three spades (by building the Halflings' Stronghold) then you can terraform two spaces to your home terrain and still have the third spade left - in that situation, you can also terraform a third hex one step with the last spade.

Cult bonus spades don't let you build anyway, but I believe you can only split them between hexes if one or both of them becomes your home terrain (can anyone confirm this?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Cult bonus spades don't let you build anyway, but I believe you can only split them between hexes if one or both of them becomes your home terrain (can anyone confirm this?)

Incorrect. You just get spades and can apply each one individually if there is more than 1. Rules specifically call this out using the phrase "You may apply these Spades on different adjacent Terrain spaces."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.