Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlos Frias Madrid
Belgium
Vilvoorde
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a small question about captain's Whitewood ability. How exactly does it work?

The card states that prior to buying goods, you may pay 1 gold to draw an extra good card. That drawn card, does it go directly to your cargo in your ship (and is as such already bought) or is it just an extra, seventh card from which you can choose?

Thanks for the clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arduano wrote:
I have a small question about captain's Whitewood ability. How exactly does it work?

The card states that prior to buying goods, you may pay 1 gold to draw an extra good card. That drawn card, does it go directly to your cargo in your ship (and is as such already bought) or is it just an extra, seventh card from which you can choose?

Thanks for the clarification.

It'd be drawing an extra card to choose from, just like you draw 8 cargo cards in the port that tells you to draw 8 rather than loading them directly onto your ship...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Frias Madrid
Belgium
Vilvoorde
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that clarification.

I am afraid we played it wrong yesterday. But then again, it was our first game ever of M&M and we played a lot of situations wrong, I discovered the day after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McKnight
United States
Hamden
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played last night and had a different question about the same captain:

Are you able to look at the six cards you draw normally before deciding whether to pay a gold to draw a seventh or do you need to pay the money before drawing cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
disperse wrote:
We played last night and had a different question about the same captain:

Are you able to look at the six cards you draw normally before deciding whether to pay a gold to draw a seventh or do you need to pay the money before drawing cards?

Once you draw any cargo cards, you have entered the "buying process" - since even if you don't buy any cargo, you have still done the "Buy Goods" part of a port action. So you have to pay 1 gold before seeing the first 6 cargo cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I agree. It says "prior to buying goods" and interpreting that as after looking at them but before buying doesn't make as much sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'Rocky' Robertson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Now a Sarf London boy!
mbmbmbmbmb
We play a little differently, the way we play is that you can look at the 6 cards as per normal and then if you like pay 1 gold coin to look at the good the merchant is hiding under the counter. Then you will decide if you wish to buy any of the goods, if you don't like the look at the wares on offer (ie the first 6 goods) you don't have to pay the extra 1 gold and you don't see the extra card.

It becomes, in our view, a anti-ability otherwise where you pay 1 gold every time you go to market and in some cases, few I grant you, you will only have 2 goods the same after drawing seven cards.

You wouldn't get charged for looking in a shop window, so we play it that no-one gets charged for looking at the first 6 goods (or 3 goods if it's a repeat visit).

arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.