David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time the brother of my gaming dad comes to town, we get together to play a large game. For the past few years it's been Wings of War, but this year it was time to go to Star Wars. I'm "heavily" invested at this point, 2 core, 1 extra tie, x-wing, 1 tie advance, and 3 y-wings. Jason has a core, an extra tie, 3 extra x-wings, a tie advance and a y-wing. Due to the ship count, we decided to go for something epic, and it became a 200 point game.
Here's what was on the battlefield.
Imperials
2 Black Squadron Pilots
Backstabber
Dark Curse
Howlrunner
Mauler
Night Beast
Winged Gundark
Darth Vader with Squad Leader and Concussion Missiles
Maarek Stele with Marksmanship and Cluster Missiles

Rebels
Biggs with R5-D8
Garven with Proton Torp
Luke with Squad Leader and R2-D2
Wedge with Marksmanship R2-F2 and Proton Torp
Dutch with Ion, Proton Torp and R5-K6
Horton with Ion, Proton Torp and R2 Astromech

I took command of Wedge, Biggs and Dutch.
I used Dutch to shoot Ion cannons each round, as did Horton. We got in a couple hits, but not many.
In the first salvo, Biggs went down. Wedge managed to use Marksmanship effectively a couple of times, but then the eyes dried up. On the other side, Luke was wiped out in 1 salvo, so R2D2 was never able to regenerate shields.
After a couple rounds, things were looking grim for the rebels. Wedge was down to 1 hit point, so I switched over to R2-F2. The droid allows the user to roll an extra evasion die, which came in handy several times. I don't have an exact count, but I believe Wedge managed to survive for 3 rounds with only 1 Hull Point. After Wedge went down, it was only a matter of time. The rebels were left with 2 Y-Wings, while the empire still had 4 Tie Fighters and Vader.

2.5 hours into the battle, the rebellion surrendered.

Now, for most sane people, that would be the end of the story, but we decided to play again.

The same ships were set up, with a couple of abilities switched around. This time we had a couple more players, so I only had Wedge and Dutch under my control. This time I learned to only go 1 Straight with Dutch. With some lucky attacks, Horton and Dutch actually managed to ion two ties off the board.

There was a good deal of attrition which took place over the course of 3 hours or so, and hence I don't remember the specifics, so I'll skip to the end.
Biggs with full shields and HP, Wedge with no shields full HP, Luke with 2 Full Shields, taken 1 damage versus Vader, Maarek, and a Tie.

Maarek managed to get a lock on Biggs and unloaded his missiles, taking out my shields and dealing a HP damage. Biggs then swung around and found Vader, and due to some luck (3 Hits vs No evade) Vader was blown out of the sky. Shortly after, Wedge foolishly flew into an asteroid, leaving the battle at 2 v 2. A Luke and Biggs team effort took at the lone tie, but it left Biggs with only 1 HP. Maarek came in and finished off Biggs, so we had a good old fashion dog fight. The only catch, Maarek had lost his shields and taken 2 damage while Luke had only taken 1 damage and had his shields back up. Maarek knew he had little chance to actually win. While figuring out his exact odds, he managed to fly into an asteroid and go boom.

So there it was, roughly 4.5 hours after the 2nd battle started, it was over. I have to say it was an epic game, but not something we want to repeat any time soon. I think 100 point matches would have been just as much fun, and a lot less time.

We went for 200 because we could. We learned our lessons, but we had one heck of a time playing it out. I should note that we had a large battlefield, roughly 4 feet long by 3 feet wide. We did throw in 12 asteroids to make collision damage a real fear.

I learned a lot about building a squad, specifically which pilots seem to work together, and what bonus cards work well, or not so well, with pilots.

And yes, we were crazy, but we all had a good time, and that matters more than anything.

Edited to add in some pictures
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome session report. Did you take any pictures?

Since you guys individually and cummulatively have a bunch of ships at this point, what quantities of everything would you suggest a very interested newbie pick up?

Before others chime in, yes, I'm going to buy more than just the base game (which is already under the Christmas Tree), and I know that many other threads have given conflicting suggestions. But hearing the combinations of what to buy from someone who's played a couple large-scale games like this would be helpful. (Note: I don't care about tournament/competitive play)

Also, knowing what you know now about ship/pilot/upgrade combinations, what quanitites of wave 2 ships are you planning to get?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did almost the same thing last night with my boys. We couldn't quite finish the game, though. I was running the Imperial All-Stars plus 3 generic pilots (8 TIEs and 3 TIE adv.). The boys were running the Rebel All-stars plus 1 generic (4 Xs and 3 Ys)
When we stopped, I was ahead on points but with two badly limping ships that would likely have been killed the next round.
So I call it a draw. Very fun, but a bit exhausting for me runniung 11 ships, and a bit draining on the attention span of a 7 and 9 year old by the time we stopped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzydice82 wrote:
Awesome session report. Did you take any pictures?

Since you guys individually and cummulatively have a bunch of ships at this point, what quantities of everything would you suggest a very interested newbie pick up?

Before others chime in, yes, I'm going to buy more than just the base game (which is already under the Christmas Tree), and I know that many other threads have given conflicting suggestions. But hearing the combinations of what to buy from someone who's played a couple large-scale games like this would be helpful. (Note: I don't care about tournament/competitive play)

Also, knowing what you know now about ship/pilot/upgrade combinations, what quanitites of wave 2 ships are you planning to get?

Brian, thanks for reading and asking some questions.
I just added in some pictures, so hopefully that gives you some idea of what it looked like.

For this kind of a large scale game, a 2nd core set is really a great deal. For one, having 2 sets of range rulers, the extra dice and so on really speeds things up, but it's also a great bang for your buck with ships. 2 Y-Wings are a great help. The long distance ion cannon is a great bonus to the rebels. I'd also say that 1 Tie Advance is good. A 2nd one added to the epic feel of it, plus gave the Imperials a little more uniqueness.

To recreate the game we played this is the ship roster you need
4 X-Wings
2 Y-Wings
8 Tie Fighters
2 Tie Advance
Meaning 3 core sets, 1 X-Wing, 2 Tie Fighter, 2 Y-Wing, 2 Tie Advance expansions.

I think my plan for Wave 2 is 1 of the big ships, 2 of the smaller ships. I get a chance to do a preview event in December, so that might change. If it does, that count only goes up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Here's a picture of our setup once we got the first move or two in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.