tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Loviska

Zeeland
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the video on the kickstarter it is part miniature game, and part civilization building game. I think you will fight one big "boss" monster, and if you beat it you harvest parts of the monster to make armor, weapons, and food. You will also get advancements in science and language, things like that.

There should be a gameplay video coming out this week if you keep watching the kickstarter. Hope that helps.

[edit]: I should also mention that it is a full coop. The monsters will have an AI deck for each monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory J
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always appreciated the miniature style, but I think the boardgame is too rich for my blood. At least not without a far more detailed playthrough since he has promised he won't be releasing the rules before the game is released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Caughmann
msg tools
It's a cooperative rpg boardgame. Adam from KD keeps mentioning Warhammer Quest as a big inspiration for the game. If you are unaware of Warhammer Quest, it was a spiritual sequel to HeroQuest and Advanced HeroQuest - Campaign boardgame pseudo-rpgs around the late 80's/early 90's. Today's spiritual successor is the Descent boardgames.

All of these examples are campaign boardgame rpgs. The players each control a hero(es), and they advance that hero in equipment and skills as they play through a story campaign. There would also be one player that would be the Dungeon Master, controlling all the bad guys. That is a difference with Kingdom Death - it has an AI controlled bad-guy (plural?), and all the players take on the roll of a good-guy. This is similar to the AI controlled bad-guys of the recent Dungeons and Dragons boardgames of the past couple years.

Some of the big differences that I can tell with Kingdom Death, is that unlike the inspirations I mentioned, there is not only characters that you upgrade, but also your settlement. As you defeat monsters, you gain new materials and discover new technologies that allow you to advance the settlement, allowing for further upgrading of your characters in return. I sort of compare this to a Warcraft game - building new structures to produce better units and weapon/armor upgrades, but they all cost resources to build and use.

Some of the big questions that I have: Will there be any sense of exploration on the game board? Will you only ever be fighting 1 monster at a time? Are the settlement expansions something you access between fights (off the game board), or something you access while moving minis around and fighting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Suetens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If this game will indeed be some kind of blend of the Descent games with the D&D board games, including some kind of off-the board group upgrade system, this might become the perfect game! (for me)
The miniatures also look incredibly good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather than any of the dungeon-crawl boardgames mentioned so far, I find that KD:M most resembles the Monster Hunter series of videogames with its central theme of hunting monsters to obtain material, success, fame & glory.

With most of the non-combat aspects handled seemingly via cards, I wonder if KD:M would combine brilliantly with a simplified Civilization-styled game like Pocket Civ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Böttcher
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It reminds me of "Final Fantasy Tactics": fight Monster, poach them, loot them, go to the shop/city, next Monster ...

It looks very, very good, but until know it's hard to understand what's the final goal: is there some sort of map to explore ? storyline ? playtime ?

... and like many games today it seems to be more a game for painters and collectors than for boardgamers. Are the miniatures "on piece" or is this a "glue festival" ?

Let's wait for the next video ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keegan Fink
United States
Havertown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh it is most certainly a "glue festival" as none of them will be one piece, that much is for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Böttcher
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then , I'm afraid , this game is not for me.

Can't they do a game in 10mm with compact miniatures and terrain for us gamers who are not some kind of artist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason H
msg tools
chromaticdragon wrote:
I find that KD:M most resembles the Monster Hunter series of videogames

Exactly. Adam has talked about his inspirations (notably Warhammer Quest) in the interview from the other thread as well as on his webpage, but I find the boss rush and crafting armor from monster parts is a page torn from Monster Hunter. And indeed Adam has played Monster Hunter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
United States
Florence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure how much tactical gaming you'll have in a game that has a single 6x6 grid, where 4 of those are taken up by the monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dérek Boily
Canada
Québec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The gameboard will actualy be 2' by 3' according to kickstarter entry...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Clark
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm certainly intrigued by it's resemblence to Monster Hunter in poaching monster parts and crafting them into gear and upgrades. It looks beautiful, but I'm worried that this would rarely hit the table around my regular group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Guimarães
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
C'mon let's be frank, there won't be game here. If you want the minis (georgeous minis by the way) pledge without fear, but i'm not expecting a great game from this. Appears to me that everything will be card/dice driven, with you throwing the dice to see if you hits the creature and drafting cards for mosters actions, hit location and resources, so no choices, only luck. The small board won't give you any tactical mobility. The only two possible choices to do that i see in this game is what items to equip (if there are advantages and disvantages to each armor, because if it's just a linear evolution of armor, with one being plain better than the other, no choices here.) and when you develop your settlement...Maybe there's more, i did not find the usability of locations card...

I'm not trying to bash the designer of this game or his game, this is just my opinion from what i can presume from de KS page. If there were rules available, none of this would be necessary. I really want to love this game, the minis are great and the settlement development is a great idea if done right.

I just would like to see less anime girls (and i love anime girls blush) and more monsters, and maybe a variant, competitive rules for people that prefer competitive games (like my wife whistle )

Well thats it, sorry for my rant and for any english mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Freitas
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea my biggest fear is that this game is already super successful. I'm very intrigued by it. I liked the idea of the tiny bit of lore we've been given and i really really like the idea of making your own progressive town. But now that he's like a 1000% over budget why bother explaining anything or putting more effort into the game as it's clear this game is already sold to mini enthusiasts.

I don't know why mini games are instant successes on KS but they are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt way
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is clearly a market for minis and rethemed bicycle cards. . . Who knew?

Poliorcetes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eduguima wrote:
I just would like to see less anime girls [...] and more monsters

Agreed. The minis on kickstarter are pretty awesome looking, but there are so few monsters.

I think the project has split-personality-disorder. Part of the problem is that the kickstarter game is veering pretty far from the figures they've released so far. Most of the figures they've sold on the website are exploitative anime pinups that are supposed to titillate with their breasts and genitalia, and monsters that, ironically, are supposed to be scary because they are composed of breasts and genitalia (and fetuses).

I'd be interested in kickstarting the game if I felt more confident that
A) there was an actual game behind it,
and/or
B) there were going to be more minis that I would actually want to bring to my women's gaming group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Freitas
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
breegull wrote:
Most of the figures they've sold on the website are exploitative anime pinups that are supposed to titillate with their breasts and genitalia, and monsters that, ironically, are supposed to be scary because they are composed of breasts and genitalia (and fetuses).

Nothing is scarier then breasts and genitalia.....with teeth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dérek Boily
Canada
Québec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personnally love a heavily thematic game, where the ambience is a major part of the game. I think Kingdom Death : Monster HAS potential, but the only thing is, for now, we know nearly nothing about it...

I'm not a mini collector and I'm relatively new to boardgaming but the overall concept and art in the project just drew me in...!

And genitalia with teeth is absolutely scary (altough KD is much more than that...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Campbell
United States
Lake Worth
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tolio wrote:

Nothing is scarier then breasts and genitalia.....with teeth.

It's true. There's nothing I'm more afraid of than my wife.

Ba-dum-DUM!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Poots
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
@Chad Caughmann, There are no dungeons, with doors and rooms in the traditional sense. There is a bit of random exploring while you "hunt" a target, but that is done with dice rolls and a table based not he creature you are currently hunting. The board is pretty much an arena, with some exceptions on how different monsters interact with it. Some will fly, drag players around, hide, etc.

Currently yes you will only be fighting one monster at a time. There may in the future be monsters which have several parts or characters, but for now I am focusing on the core "boss" concept.

The settlement/civ part of the game is basically the "shop & manage" phase. The board is not needed and instead you use information tiles and innovation cards that express what you can do, build, visit etc. If you are familiar with warhammer quest, imagine the settlement phase with modular locations and a bit more depth connecting everything.

I've had many backers request that the locations be made into tiles or little physical houses and while I must admit I am totally charmed by this idea I don't want to complicate the civ part of the game and require building positions etc etc.

@Frank Böttcher, there will be a story section with important events that can trigger during the gameplay. These will lead you to the ultimate goal of confronting the watcher, the last boss monster of the campaign. The game can still continue past this point if you wish to "get every upgrade / little detail possible" but it makes for a good natural ending. The game can also be played without the story events in a… lets just see what happens sort of way.

The miniatures need to be glued together. Otherwise customization would be very difficult!

@Jason H, yes I am a fan of monster hunter. Also of Berserk, Geiger, Lovecraft, and as noted before Warhammer Quest

@Eduardo, While I love the idea of making the game competitive one day ( settlement vs settlement with x number of civ points ) I feel that there are enough wonderful skirmish games and I really wanted to approach Monster with a different perspective. It is a hybrid RPG / Board game and is designed to be an experience thats replay value lies in the customization and different way to tackle the challenges presented. Sure you could always sit down and examine every card, every piece of gear crunch some numbers and figure out the best way to play it, but again. That is up to each group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
This Kickstarter was launched November 22nd and the gameplay video is not being included until December 4th?!

Absurdly proportioned and mostly naked plastic miniature chicks really can sell anything.

I am going to pass on this one, unless the game play video shows a very compelling game.

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Allen
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also waiting for the gameplay; I am really into the theme, and the way these models look (though I won't be springing for any of the pin-ups,)especially the monsters.

I'd definitely like to see some more monsters rather than an additional 4 more people with sprues so they can all hold something different in their hand; If I'm already tabletop gaming, I can probably suspend my disbelief enough to play with guys who aren't hold the same sword that their card says.

I'll be watching closely; hopefully some of these other stretch goals toss some more baddies in - ideally just tacking them on to the survivor level - and the gameplay demo really shows us something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dérek Boily
Canada
Québec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mr. Poots!

Glad you took time to understand BGG (I'm a relatively new user too and must say the site is a little bit confusing for newbies. I know how you feel!). I'm very happy to see that you actually care for the core game (and not just selling minis, although they look amazing...!) because I see great potential in your project. The universe is very deep and inspiring and would certainly make up for some awesome horror gaming nights.

There's an awesome community out there ready to help in any way you can think of.

Congratulation for an already great project and good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Weidus
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunder wrote:

Absurdly proportioned and mostly naked plastic miniature chicks really can sell anything. :)

I think we have a case study that proves this statement is actually false.

Anyways, you aren't locked into any pledges here. If the game play video falls short, I can always back out, but like many others, I'm excited for what I think it could be, because it could be awesome. I don't mind stopping to put more minis together (
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.