Subject: Important rules question.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I think the answer can be inferred from what I've read, but just to be sure:

The number of stones any player is currently holding is public info. And therefore if some asks them, you must tell truthfully how many stones one is holding.

Is this correct understanding of the rules? I think it would make quite a bit of difference if it was not. And I think this should be stated definitively as a rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It does make a difference, but both ways are fun ways to play.

When playing with stones, we usually play that you don't have to say (it's more of a memory game with the core deduction) and when playing with cards, we usually play that you cannot conceal the information, so everyone has to show how many cards they hold.

That may not satisfy you, but as the designer, I prefer to play that number held is open information, while recognizing that some people I play with prefer the other option. Both options are legitimate as long as the players agree and are having fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Thank you for the reply.

It was not at all clear from the rules that I found online. I was sort of execting this to be spelled out explicitly in the rules. I think many people would expect to find that in the rules and this issue may confuse them. Since the rule is up to the players it should be explicitly stated "players should choose at the beginning whether to play..." I think its good to be complete as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem; I appreciate the interest.

The operative rule from the stone version is "Players may look at the stones in their own hands, but should conceal those stones from other players and may never look inside Pandora’s Box until it opens (at the end of the game)."

A rule calling for concealing stones, in the absence of limitation or exception, is complete. Players should conceal their stones from the other players: both number and colors. Of course, that is trickier in the card game version (where the rule set is very terse to fit, along with the game's story, on a single card), and so we play that card number held is completely open in the card version (to be fair to all). Naturally, both systems work fine, although one rule emphasizes more memory, and so it depends on group and player preference which approach makes the most sense for you. Either is fine, and either way can be played with minimal impact to the feel of the game and no mechanical difference in play, but there is a written rule (conceal) in the full, original stone version of the game that is not practical (or expected) in the card version of the game.

Play however you like best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
It's a really interesting game, that I am hoping to try out tomorrow with a game group that really likes these sorts of party games. They have the right spirit for it.

I will probably use chips as I dont have Go stones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.