Popular Tags: [View All]
nathan hayden
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was curious how this company's games play? Everytime I'm at a store I see their games. I've never heard a thing about their games. Even vendors don't know how they play. I'd try one out but am unsure what they have to offer. Can anyone tell me their Phalanx game experiences? I'm definitely familiar with War of the Ring, it's there other games I find mysterious (House Divided, Alexander the Great, Heart of Africa). Please feel free to tell me your Phalanx stories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WEll, why don't you go to those game pages and read the comments. Some come out relatively well, (A House Divided), others not so well, (Heart of Africa), and some just suck, (Waterloo, Nero). The only one I've played is Maharaja, (which I don't like too much), and I just got Revo;ution, and am about to embark on an email game of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bennett
United States
Grinnell
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one I have is Maharaja, and I love it. The board is well-made and attractive. The character cards (chipboard, like a Carc tile) are good quality. You have to assemble these nice little wheels. They go together well and work. The temples are colored stones. The rule book is detailed, and illustrated, though a little of it is too ambiguous. My only complaint is it seems like the box insert, which is a nice one, was made for a different game. It appears to have nothing to do with the components. Most important is the game play, which I really enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Feldman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found Age of Napoleon to play very well. Some people claim the rules can be a bit confusing, particularly with regard to the diplomatic levels of commitment to a side, but I didn't have any problems with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Euros, get Maharaja--awesome game.

If you like excruciating games with 25 phases, 64 subphases, and inscrutable graphics, get Revolution:The Dutch Revolt.

Other than those, I have no idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have A House Divided and The First World War and recommend them both. Both are fairly light as hard wargames go, but take 3 hours or so to play. Curious to try Age of Napoleon and Revolution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vögel
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
I've been on this site for 15 years now, and I'm far from sick of games, but I think I prefer a better balance of favorites to new games. I'm also tired of playing 4+ hr multiplayer games, but I'll still happily play really long games 2 player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Revolution:The Dutch Revolt isn't really that bad - once you've learned the rules (30 minutes) and played the first 2 turns (90 minutes). After that, the remaining 3 turns just fly by (210 minutes).

Actually, I very much enjoyed the game. The time did not drag, and while the learning curve was considerable, I wouldn't call any aspect of the game excrutiating. It's a cool game and I think the next playing will go much quicker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never take gaming advice from guys with umlauts in their names.

Okay, truly, I think that Revolution is probably a very deep and balanced game. I just didn't enjoy my one looooong playing of the first two turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert .
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Phalanx did Naval Warfare I think eh?

If so, thats one of the coolest card games around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Phalanx. The gameplay is good on most of the titles that I have played. Personally, I like Age of Napoleon, Maharaja, and A House Divided. I also picked up Revolution: Dutch Revolt and a few others, but haven't got them on the table yet. I'm looking forward to Mesopotamia. All of the Phalanx games that I've bought have quality components and art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Even vendors don't know how they play.

True, most of the game stores I go into are owned and staffed by Warmachine, Warhammer and Magic players. Some know about games full of toys like Doom or TI3 but they don't know anything about board games with cardboard bits.

Anyway, you've come to the right place for that, BGG.

I have A House Divided and Age of Napoleon. I like them both, AoN in particular but I would recommend downloading the latest living rules from the game page. It's no big deal but the latest changes are there.

I had Waterloo and it just didn't catch on, to be kindly about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vögel
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
I've been on this site for 15 years now, and I'm far from sick of games, but I think I prefer a better balance of favorites to new games. I'm also tired of playing 4+ hr multiplayer games, but I'll still happily play really long games 2 player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I never take gaming advice from guys with umlauts in their names.

You tire company executives are all the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Revolution is not for everyone, but it is definitely one of my favorites. Of course, so are Civ and 1830, so I may be biased towards the type of game that it is.

I have two Phalanx title - Revolution and Hector and Achilles - and both have incredible components and play very well. I can't get enough of Revolution and expect that after a few more plays it will climb up towards the 10 on my scale.

I've read good things about Age of Napoleon as well, but it was here on the Geek that I read it, so to reiterate what has already been said, check out the game pages and see if you might like to try their games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Maharaja is a very cool game. Alexander is a pretty good game. (I'd like to own both at some point.) Both of these had very good components. Go West is a mediocre game (IMO) but again, components are quite nice. Those are the only ones I've played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Naval Battles, House Divided, and Age of Napoleon. Of these, I have played Naval Battles and House Divided and loved them both - fun, fast games, easy rules, great components. Age of Napoleon looks great, the rules don't seem too fiddly (of course, I come from an old school Avalon Hill background) but I can't say until I play it.

Oh, and I also own War of the Ring and find it awesome in its scope and presentation - a real gem!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phalanx Games is known for making games with absolutely beautiful components & artwork and bad inserts. Mesopotamia is supposed to be the first game with a good insert.

But of course: Nero and Maharadja both look beautiful, but aren't equally good games. So for gaming advice you should check the games' pages. I really LOVE Maharaja, loved my first game of Revolution and I think I will really like Alexander (played 1 short campaign). Nero sucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ákos Tasnádi
Hungary
Budapest
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mesopotamia is a very good Euro, with beautiful tiles and well-written rules. There are 18 cards in it, so it's a little bit language dependent (those 18 cards are just 8 types, so not too difficult) - but there is an English publication with Mayfair (all the artworks, components are the same!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nathan hayden
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your great comments. I have checked out some reviews of the games that intrigue me, but I'm glad I got a larger percpective of Phalanx. It's the only company I just couldn't figure out. I know what I'm going to get with Rio Grande, Avalon Hill, Hans im Gluck, Fantasy Flight, Eagle, GMT, Mayfair, Avalanche, but Phalanx I was completely unsure. It sounds like after all these comment that they may be a Euro/ Wargame hybrid, and that's great, they're doing there own thing. I guess I will have to try one out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Thaur wrote:
Mesopotamia is a very good Euro, with beautiful tiles and well-written rules. There are 18 cards in it, so it's a little bit language dependent (those 18 cards are just 8 types, so not too difficult) - but there is an English publication with Mayfair (all the artworks, components are the same!).

From what I understand, Mayfair is just importing the Phalanx games into the US. They aren't involved in the printing, designer, playtesting, etc. Just pushing the games through their distributers. (If I'm wrong about this, please someone correct me.)

As for Mesopotamia, I heard some good things about it from the Essen reports and I am eagerly awaiting it's release in the US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ákos Tasnádi
Hungary
Budapest
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:
Thaur wrote:

From what I understand, Mayfair is just importing the Phalanx games into the US. They aren't involved in the printing, designer, playtesting, etc. Just pushing the games through their distributers. (If I'm wrong about this, please someone correct me.)

Yep. I have a Dutch edition, and I had an English one temporaly (I had to make a translation of it), so I'm quite sure the only difference I've seen between the two editions, that there is or isn't the Mayfair-logo on the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.