Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Chit Chatters:

We have a fairly new computer monitor--around 2 years old that has started acting up.

What happens is that while we are actively using the computer the monitor blanks out and announces that it is going to sleep. I usually hit the + button on the monitor and it goes back. However, it is occurring regularly enough to make me worry something may be wrong.

I ran a troubleshoot on it this morning and tried to update the drivers, but the computer states the driver is the latest update and the monitor is fine.

What else should/could I do? This never happened before but did happen with our old monitor when it was starting to die.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jimbrax wrote:
This normally happens due to a problem coming from the signal sent to it from the PC\Laptop.

Most obvious check is to ensure that the screen saver \ power saving settings aren't timing out first. Make sure the 'turn monitor off after x mins ' power saving option isn't set to 2 mins or something silly.

OK, I fixed that. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Gjerde
Norway
Trondheim
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
http://landnam.old.no
badge
http://old.no
mbmbmbmbmb
jimbrax wrote:
This normally happens due to a problem coming from the signal sent to it from the PC\Laptop.

Yes. Only note that there needs not to have been any change in the PC setup before the problems started to appear, just a minor degradation over time to some part of the signal pathway. I have seen it most with older LCD monitors connected to inexpensive graphics cards over a DVI cable, particularly where the graphics cards had only a single-connector dual DVI plug, reqiring the use of a 'Y'-shaped "breakout" cable with two DVI sockets (as each mechanical connection is a major source of signal degradation).

The problem was most pronounced in the mornings, before the monitors had warmed up; after this their sensitivity tended to improve above the "blackout" threshold. We extended the lifetime of the more expensive equipment by investing in slightly pricier DVI cables, as short as possible for the setup. Before doing this, it migh also be worth loosening both screen cable plugs, wiggle them a bit to get rid of surface corrosion and then fasten them tightly again, while avoiding tension in the cable.

I have not seen this happen with the newer DisplayPort or HDMI cables (better connector design, or just that we have bought more expensive equipment with these, or that it is not old enough yet?), and it would not happen with the older VGA (D-sub) connection – this would instead see a gradual reduction in signal quality, but no abrupt cutoff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes monitors (even two year old ones) just die. Or your video card died. Or your cables gave up. Borrow another monitor and see if it does the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.