13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Art and Graphic Design

Subject: Board game tile questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kim R Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Hi all im working on a new board game and is working on some photoshop tiles. Its only rougly work and is testing some things.

But what are the "standard" size of a single square tile?
At the moment i have this
http://kong-kim.dk/ftp/work/dungeonfrag/kktesttile01.jpg
that is a test mat. where each tile is 3x3cm and the photoshop file is in 300dpi.

Can anyone help me to get the right size and template out right from the start?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The spaces need only to be as large as the pieces you place on them. The number of spaces on each tile will then dictate the size of your tiles.

What goes on those spaces and how big is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim R Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
It will end up being a dungeon runner game. So you move on the tiles. I was thinking to use the size of a base from Warhammer or something? But what is the size and is that the most standard size?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Try finding the minis you want to use and getting the measurement from those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

FWIW, the 1 inch square standard is what I ended up converting my TactDecks: Reign of Heroes pieces to. They were originally at 1.5 inches, but elected to shrink them down for greater cross-system compatibility and conservation of packaging space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
Minis in the 28mm~ish range tend towards 25mm bases, so 3cm squares would seem to be about right assuming you don't want them to be too tight a fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim R Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Hmmm... I see and hear games using both 1 inch squares and 3cm.
So its seems that there are 2 standards that is used.

i have been looking in here:
https://community.thegamecrafter.com/
They use 1 inch as standard but i feel its a little small for a Dungeon Runner game? But if i make it out of their standard i need some others to print it. The have some good offers in there.

Eric Etkin your TactDecks: Reign of Heroes looks really cool What was the cost to get it printet and cut out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
kongkim wrote:
Eric Etkin your TactDecks: Reign of Heroes looks really cool What was the cost to get it printet and cut out?

Ha! I'll let you know.

I'll be "officially" demoing the prototype at Pax East this year along with the www.dicewitch.com products (err... I should say that I'm partnering with Dice Witch). My plan is to also launch my Kickstarter campaign at the same time to leverage the exposure.

I'm still waiting on finalizing my V3 playtests (which uses the new scale/format and some other improvements) and figuring out packaging/shipping/storage.

The game is going to be 16 4 inch tiles, about 200 1 inch tokens and 100 or so cards. At the moment, I have no idea how much that would cost in a 1000-2000 copy run, as I'm still finalizing everything. If you plugged the numbers into something like Game Crafter (and POD is way, WAY more expensive than offset press), I'm guessing the game would run about uh... $40 - $50 USD. Part if the issue there is Game Crafter doesn't (yet) offer 1 square inch tokens... which seems rather strange to me as they look to be a standard size offered in a lot of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim R Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Ahh ok Sounds exiting
I just need to get the standards and size right som its easy to get out. So i can start making the prototype first

And yah its weird that TGC don't offer 1 square inch tokens... They have a good idea but they miss alot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a chessex battle map with 1" squares (and hexes on the other side). They also sell mats with 1½" and 2" squares. I guess they chose those sizes for some good reason, but I am not very familiar with popular base sizes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
kongkim wrote:
Ahh ok Sounds exiting
I just need to get the standards and size right som its easy to get out. So i can start making the prototype first

And yah its weird that TGC don't offer 1 square inch tokens... They have a good idea but they miss alot.

Kim, if you could post a mock-up of what you're looking to put on the token, we might be able to better advise you what size to go with (or maybe a different idea altogether).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim R Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Im thinking something like this:
http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic1181710_lg.jpg

Just wist some larger boards put together so the room on each mat is larger. And the tiles is 1 inch or 3cm. And with tokens a littel smaller then the tile it self. And on each token made a image that fill out the full token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok... so the tokens would have no game info on them? Just an image?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.