Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

So, what are game promos for, exactly?

I understand getting a free Big Mac so I buy fries and a Coke, bring my kids along, etc. I understand getting a free ounce of Sunlight so that I see how amazing it is washing dishes with, and buy lots more. I totally don't get game promos.

Why has Ares created the sculpt and molds for the Treebeard promo? Why manufacture a gagillion of them and give it away? I find it hard to imagine that getting a free Treebeard will get someone to jump the fence and buy the War of the Ring: Lords of Middle-earth expansion, or buy the parent game War of the Ring (First Edition).

The new Agricola promo, Pi Deck, is not going to get me to buy the main game. Indeed, I haven't jumped on the Agricola bandwagon because I'm not interested in hunting down the forest of unbuyable promos. Granted, not everyone is that way. I'm just identifying an example how promos seem to have an opposite effect.

I can imagine a promo of a mini-game, given away free, to get gamers interested in the larger family/system of games. Giving me an unusable component for a game I don't own, well, I just don't get it. And, if I own the game already, again, I don't get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, you linked to the wrong parent game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Treebeard is my favorite character... just saying.

Also, new promos for older games like Agricola give people an extra reason to play an old favorite again, showing it to their friends, getting word out there, ect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Promos are a multi function marketing item as used in board games, or for any product for that matter.

with regards to board games they can do the following,

Front end promos, (kickstarter or preorder type) generate enthusiasm to purchase a game containing a product that wont be readily available once said product reaches mass market.

Mid life promos such as treebeard , generate buzz over an existing product such as WoTR and coincided in this case with the release of the expansion.

Some times promos are used to introduce New mechanics to a game.

to some like your self its a take it or leave it , to enthusiast of a series or game its collectable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.