Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Hawaii» Forums » Rules

Subject: All God tiles or just those on the top? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Per Starbäck
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The setup rules state that you should shuffle the God tiles and place them in two equal stacks [p3]. When reading that I assumed that would be because you only would have access to the two God tiles on the top.

Otherwise there's no point in this, but then, in the section about purchasing place tiles [p6] it doesn't really say this explicitly, which led to some discussion at the board when players wanted to buy any god. So which way is it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam O'Brien
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Even Cleverer Overtext
badge
Every time someone activates this overtext, it takes a year off my life. Hover often please!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just the ones on top. Which makes it a bit risky to buy them sometimes; you could be revealing a great one for your opponent!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Shepherd
United Kingdom
Ovington
Northumberland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right, the rule book doesn't spell out the fact that you should only take one of the top two tiles... but the fact that it tells you to shuffle the tiles was enough logical evidence to convince me that's the way it's supposed to be played. Otherwise, the shuffling is entirely pointless.

Also note that the example on page 11 has the red player selecting the god "Kane", which is one of the two visible tiles.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Starbäck
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was enough for me too, personally, but not enough for convincing the other players. :-)

Another reason I think it should be spelled out is because I think it needs to be said if the contents of those piles is supposed to be common knowledge, or if it should be a surprise what God is underneath.

A similar thing in the rules for me was the screens. When you saw them you knew that this was a game with incomplete information. But then, as far as I could find, nothing in the rules said what should go inside the huts and what shouldn't.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Shepherd
United Kingdom
Ovington
Northumberland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
star wrote:
Another reason I think it should be spelled out is because I think it needs to be said if the contents of those piles is supposed to be common knowledge, or if it should be a surprise what God is underneath.


Agreed. Especially if your opponents have a tendency to use the "I'm just picking this god tile up to check what the side II ability does" tactic to peek at the next tile down

It's not the only matter on which the rule book was a bit lacking. The Hans Im Glueck edition has had a double-page of rules clarifications ( http://www.hans-im-glueck.de/fileadmin/data_archive/Regeln/K... ) -- though it's in German, obviously.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the intent of the designer is that god tiles are random and hidden until they are revealed by a purchase. I have an extra draw bag that I'm going to begin using for the god tiles in Hawaii. Just put them all in the bag, draw two to begin the game and draw another one to fill the space left when one is purchased. This eliminates the problem with someone accidentally seeing the tile beneath the ones available for purchase.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
hgcoleman wrote:
I think the intent of the designer is that god tiles are random and hidden until they are revealed by a purchase. I have an extra draw bag that I'm going to begin using for the god tiles in Hawaii. Just put them all in the bag, draw two to begin the game and draw another one to fill the space left when one is purchased. This eliminates the problem with someone accidentally seeing the tile beneath the ones available for purchase.


This method does not account for the case where one of the two piles is exhausted.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
hgcoleman wrote:
I think the intent of the designer is that god tiles are random and hidden until they are revealed by a purchase. I have an extra draw bag that I'm going to begin using for the god tiles in Hawaii. Just put them all in the bag, draw two to begin the game and draw another one to fill the space left when one is purchased. This eliminates the problem with someone accidentally seeing the tile beneath the ones available for purchase.


This method does not account for the case where one of the two piles is exhausted.


Agree. But a small price to pay for a better system, in my opinion. Besides, I have yet to play a game where one god pile was exhausted.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Starbäck
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hgcoleman wrote:
I think the intent of the designer is that god tiles are random and hidden until they are revealed by a purchase.


If I remember correctly it was said somewhere that the pay-double mechanism with two sides to the tiles was added by the publisher and not in the original design, so in the prototype I guess the back of the tiles were blank, and you could place the God tiles underneath with the blank side up to avoid getting a peek of the next tile.

If I had this game myself I think I would play with random tiles, but that it's permissible to look at tiles underneath so see what's coming, because it would be too much hassle to avoid that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.