Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever applauded during a movie because the scene was that good or powerful?

I am not talking about at the end of a good movie or at the beginning of the credits (like I did at the beginning of the rerelease of Star Wars on the scroll-over), just during the movie.

Which movie(s)... Why?

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. It would be incredibly rude to other theater goers who were trying to watch the movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I have. But it mostly depends on the crowd. I've been to many opening movies, where the crowd really gets into it. Mostly it's movies that have a big fan base. The opening night for Serenity for instance was fairly vocal.

As for end credit applause, I've been to quite a few movies that had ended in full out applause. I will note that it happens less frequently today than in years past. But I think that it's because back then, movies were more of an experience than they are today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Applauding in a movie? Unless one of the contributors is present, that would be really silly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the end of Knowing I did. Because I enjoyed seeing something that far out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mb
MWChapel wrote:
I have. But it mostly depends on the crowd. I've been to many opening movies, where the crowd really gets into it. Mostly it's movies that have a big fan base. The opening night for Serenity for instance was fairly vocal.

As for end credit applause, I've been to quite a few movies that had ended in full out applause. I will note that it happens less frequently today than in years past. But I think that it's because back then, movies were more of an experience than they are today.

I agree. Movies have changed as an experience, and I think the availability of movies in the home have changed this. If we go back 20 years or so, things started changing for home video. The price of VHS tapes started dropping, DVD came into being, and more and more rental places popped up.

Now? Well, people have 60 inch televisions in their homes streaming full HD video while sitting in their pj's on the couch. Going out to the movies is fun for some still, but it's not the treat it once was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
It happened in many theatres that I attended, back in the late '60s & '70s, but I was not usually one who participated.

I do recall that when, during Raiders of the Lost Ark, the Nazis got their faces melted, spontaneous applause broke out and I think I may have joined in that time.

There was definitely another movie from around that same time where a particularly loathesome villain finally got dropped off a cliff, or pushed out an airlock (i.e. died in some nasty way) and we all applauded.
It was the movie equivalent of a high-five, with your seat neighbor. YEAH!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chony McChuukface
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only time I have applauded in a movie theater was during a premier or other special event when part of the cast/crew were there.

Otherwise, I feel it is a pretty useless gesture as whomever you are trying to show your appreciation to has absolutely no idea you are doing it.

It used to really bug me when people would do it, but I have gotten over it mostly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
A date of mine and i once applauded for one of the "commercials" (it was a 4-5 minute long clip collection of classic and modern 20th Century Fox films) that was masterfully done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Simpson
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only film I've been to where there were audience outbursts of cheering (and singing) was Ghostbusters

The near opposite was the silence of the stunned audience coming out of Pan's Labyrinth when I saw it the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
LRayZor wrote:
The only film I've been to where there were audience outbursts of cheering (and singing) was Ghostbusters

We all left the theatre whistling after Life of Brian. And I do mean everyone in the theatre.
As we filed past the long line-up, to get into the next showing, there were many, many confused patrons observing us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jimbrax wrote:
Flyboy Connor wrote:
Applauding in a movie? Unless one of the contributors is present, that would be really silly.

+1

+2

I have once or twice been in a movie when people applauded at the end, but it seemed really weird to me. No-one involved in the movie is present, so why bother? The cinema staff won't care...

...but when I saw Return of the King, at the bit where Shelob was creeping up on Frodo, a small child in the audience shouted, "Look behind you, Frodo!"

laugh It broke the atmosphere of the moment, but I don't think anyone minded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:

My initial reaction was this, but then it occurred to me, should I also not laugh at a comedy?

With that said, I've never actually done it, but if it's that fantastic to someone that it truly provokes spontaneous applause, hey, that's cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Simpson
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally I stick to the following by Mark Kermode (and Simon Mayo):

"The Moviegoers Code of Conduct"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/markkermode/2010/12/the_moviegoer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It happened at the end of Grindhouse. The Death Proof segment ended just so perfectly, the entire theater erupted in applause. (Seriously, anyone who didn't see it in the theater really missed out on an awesome experience.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hamen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Music sucks now....
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely hate it when people start banging their meat gloves together to elicit an annoying noise, especially in such a innappropriate time as during or after a film. Nothing screams obnoxiousness like loud clapping for an invisible recipient. It reminds me of someone spinning that grinding apparatus during New Years right in my face.

That said, I prefer clapping to the sound of cap guns being shot at my ears point blank the entire length of a film. I was excited to go and see demolition man at Alamo Drafthouse and had no idea it was an event where they gave the audience cap guns with unlimited ammo. I was miserable.

If you haven't guessed I am a curmudgeon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ColdFrog wrote:
Flyboy Connor wrote:

My initial reaction was this, but then it occurred to me, should I also not laugh at a comedy?

With that said, I've never actually done it, but if it's that fantastic to someone that it truly provokes spontaneous applause, hey, that's cool.

But I don't choose to laugh: to me, laughter is involuntary, or else it seems terribly false.

I guess if applause is truly spontaneous, that would be similar, but giving a round of applause typically seems to me to be more like false, deliberate laughter. Fair enough as a sign of appreciation to those who've entertained you, of course. But if they're not there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Audience behavior is a reason not to go to movies anymore.

It also got me out of live concertos. The number of philistines that start applauding BEFORE the piece is actually finished or between movements has increased enormously in recent years.

That said, maybe the projectionist did a REALLY good job and deserves a round of applause at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Celebrated my son's "Star Wars" birthday and was properly kilted!
mbmbmbmbmb
When Rocky beat that Soviet I remember standing up and applauding in the theater, but that was almost everyone in the show (in Alaska).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
Audience behavior is a reason not to go to movies anymore.

It also got me out of live concertos. The number of philistines that start applauding BEFORE the piece is actually finished or between movements has increased enormously in recent years.

That said, maybe the projectionist did a REALLY good job and deserves a round of applause at the end.

Admittedly it's been a while since I've been to any kind of live orchestral or concert pieces, but I agree, this one is nasty. Perhaps if these confounded composers wouldn't use too many notes, people wouldn't get fatigued and think that the show should be over!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
rdonato926 wrote:
Now? Well, people have 60 inch televisions in their homes streaming full HD video while sitting in their pj's on the couch. Going out to the movies is fun for some still, but it's not the treat it once was.

It doesn't help that the cost to go see a movie in the theater is insane now, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chips Reynolds
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I laugh with my hands

I kid, I kid.

No but seriously, I laugh at the people who clap their hands, because, why? who is there to hear it and appreciate it? NOBODY

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
I do it all the time, and I'm rarely the only one doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
So far we have two schools of thought.

Europeans: Shut up and watch the flick in silence.
Americans: Interaction is a part of the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/movie_theater_layout
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.