Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carson Dech
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just having trouble understanding how a few things work.

I'm not understanding travel. Do you roll to see if you get lost first? Then do you roll to see if you have an event? Then roll the dice to see what the event is on the travel tables?

I started my game in Weshor with 1 Gold piece. Seemed like a good idea to get out of the northlands so i attempt to cross the river. I roll a 2 and a 2 which gets me E122 Raftsman. I give them my gold to take me cross the river. Should i have rolled first to see if i got lost, then rolled to see if had an event on travel tables?

I moved into the swamp. Rolled a 3 and 3. Giant Lizard to fight. Should i have rolled to see if lost and rolled to see if i should have and event first?

The combat. How the heck does that resolve? It seems like, according to the table, lots of strikes just miss, whether you roll a high number or low. Is that right?

So my first strike i missed. Then the giant lizard missed. Then i hit for one wound. How do you keep track of that? Does the wound come off the lizard's endurance?

I'm sure i'll have a few more. Thanks to whomever helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kight
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My understand is this: when you wish to move, you roll first to see if you get lost in the hex you're currently located in. Then, if you're not lost, you move to the new hex and roll to see if an event occurs based on the new hex. If you're lost, you do not move and roll to see if an event occurs based on the current hex.

I believe you have fighting correct. You roll to see if or how many wounds you score, and that is taken from the opponent's endurance.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carson Dech
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. That helps some but i am still confused on the river crossing a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kight
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand. If you look around, there is another thread here that discusses the river crossing. My understanding is this: when crossing a river, you roll against the river Lost number. If you get lost, you do not need to roll against event. However, if you are not lost, you would next roll for an event against the river Event number. If the event does not prevent you from crossing, you next have to roll for getting lost against the hex you are entering. If you get lost, you are considered across the river, but still in the starting hex. If not, you are considered in the hex you wanted to move into. Either way, roll for an event for that hex.

I'm afraid that's from memory. When I get my game in-hand, I'll verify.

Best of luck!

- Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carson Dech
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take a peek around for that other thread, but that helps more. Thank you! I finally got to play my PnP Merchants of Venus with two others tonight, so i didn't get Barbarian Prince back out yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! Institute THIS!
mbmbmbmbmb
Topheth wrote:
If you're lost, you do not move and roll to see if an event occurs based on the current hex.

Actually, if you get lost you stay in your current hex but you roll for an event using the table for the hex type you were trying to enter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex DeGuy
Belarus
Gomel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dechca wrote:
I'm just having trouble understanding how a few things work.

I'm not understanding travel. Do you roll to see if you get lost first? Then do you roll to see if you have an event? Then roll the dice to see what the event is on the travel tables?

I started my game in Weshor with 1 Gold piece. Seemed like a good idea to get out of the northlands so i attempt to cross the river. I roll a 2 and a 2 which gets me E122 Raftsman.

I think first you should have rolled 2d6 to check for getting lost, then if you rolled below 8, roll 2d6 to check for river event, and if you rolled 10+, then you have to roll 2d6 for event from the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FinnTroll wrote:

I think first you should have rolled 2d6 to check for getting lost, then if you rolled below 8, roll 2d6 to check for river event, and if you rolled 10+, then you have to roll 2d6 for event from the table.

Plain vanilla travel working this way.

You have to check the location type that you wish to leave and roll 2d6. So for instance you were going from countryside to forest you would see that that the lost target roll is 9+ for the countryside.

The rules say:

Quote:
If the dice total equals or exceeds the number there, your party is lost.

Any number over 8 will leave you floundering about the countryside unable to leave.

The same procedure is made for the travel event. but roll 2d6 against the hex you are entering. So that would be 9+ for forest.

There is a discussion on rafting here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/6980661#6980661

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/8795007#8795007

and cross the river here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/772502/river-crossing-events

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.