Race for the Galaxy» Forums » General

Subject: The Best Expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Farrell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey friends! Just picked up RFTG and I love it! I am just wondering if the expansions are worth it? Do you suggest getting them? Do you have to have one expansion to play the others? And if you had to pick, which one is your favorite and why?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
All expansions are worth getting. Start with the first and then buy the second and the third. meeple

I don't have a favorite one - I always play the game with all expansions and I don't wanna miss a single one

Great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure you get them in order.

Each can build upon the previous rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Tadyshak
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I like the first two the best. The prestige feature from the third is too messy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

While I like all three, I would suggest taking each one in order and see how you like them. The base and each expansion provide lots of game to explore. I do think that the first expansion, while interesting, is really enhanced by the second expansion. The third expansion REALLY changes the game -- while I love it many others disagree. Play the hell out of the first two and if you want a new challenge get Brink of War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I also thought the 3rd expansion added to much complexity without making the game that much better.

But the other two expansions IMO are a must. The goals specifically make the game even better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fave is by far the third expansion, because of the much increased diversity in viable strategies. In previous expansions there are far less viable strategies, and usually one very dominant one.

As for requirements, you can get the 2nd expansion without the first, but practically no one does this. To play the 3rd requires the first 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Andrew
Indonesia
Bandung
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the gathering storm is a must imo, it compliment several sub-par strategy in base game as well as opening new strategies. i havent tried the next two though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like third one best. The main requirement is to play the heck out of previous ones :]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Many mention the balancing of the game with Gathering Storm.

Do those commenting on RvI feel it further balances the game or adds more?

As we play with all three, the stack is so large that it feels like a ton depends on whether the 6s that suit your strategy are reachable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the first two expansions but never use them. I find the base set to have plenty of variety.

But I'm not playing 10 games a week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Hackman
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just reiterate those that said it first.

I like the cards in the 3rd expansion the best because they open up new strategies and I think the Prestige mechanism creates a lot more interaction and alternative tactics (but it is overwhelming at first).

That being said, definitely get the expansions in order. If you plan on only getting one expansion ever, the first expansion is perfectly good - it adds some useful cards to balance the base game and the goals are a very simple yet fun addition. Plus the solo robot is in there if you every want to play that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Tadyshak
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
pomomojo wrote:
I'll just reiterate those that said it first.

I like the cards in the 3rd expansion the best because they open up new strategies and I think the Prestige mechanism creates a lot more interaction and alternative tactics (but it is overwhelming at first).

That being said, definitely get the expansions in order. If you plan on only getting one expansion ever, the first expansion is perfectly good - it adds some useful cards to balance the base game and the goals are a very simple yet fun addition. Plus the solo robot is in there if you every want to play that way.
Indeed, only getting the first expansion works out quite well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The first one is the best of all. You can get the other two eventually.

I personally don't like the 3rd expansion. It allows different strategies which is always a good thing but it also makes the game very random and prestige only complicates the problem.
Prestige search is a mixed blessing. A "sort of" mulligan was required even before the 3rd game, but the way it is implemented creates problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caught in a mechanism
Brazil
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played with expansions 2 and 3 yet, but I think the first expansion, "The Gathering Storm", is mandatory. After playing with it, I wouldn't ever go back to the base game. It would feel unfinished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fameros wrote:
but I think the first expansion, "The Gathering Storm", is mandatory. After playing with it, I wouldn't ever go back to the base game. It would feel unfinished.

That's how i've felt with each successive iteration: base, +tgs, +rvi, +bow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rain
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:
fameros wrote:
but I think the first expansion, "The Gathering Storm", is mandatory. After playing with it, I wouldn't ever go back to the base game. It would feel unfinished.

That's how i've felt with each successive iteration: base, +tgs, +rvi, +bow.

Me too. I keep going back to BoW, even despite all my whining about PGA. TGS and RvI are just not enough anymore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainstar wrote:
Me too. I keep going back to BoW, even despite all my whining about PGA. TGS and RvI are just not enough anymore :P

Really makes me wonder if we'll be satisfied with going back to Base + Alien Artifacts only...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:
"Rainstar" wrote:
Me too. I keep going back to BoW, even despite all my whining about PGA. TGS and RvI are just not enough anymore

Really makes me wonder if we'll be satisfied with going back to Base + Alien Artifacts only...
As far as the regular deck goes, I think it'll freshen thngs up for a little while but probably won't have the same staying power for experienced players.

With the Orb scenario, who knows? It sounds pretty different from anything we've encountered in the game before, and could bring the Explore phase to the forefront.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fameros wrote:
I haven't played with expansions 2 and 3 yet, but I think the first expansion, "The Gathering Storm", is mandatory. After playing with it, I wouldn't ever go back to the base game. It would feel unfinished.

When I got a second base set for teaching, I ended up cultivating a new crop of players. As I result I played a LOT of the base game after a long period of playing with the expansions. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the simplicity of the base.

If anything feels unfinished to me it's the first expansion. I don't like playing with just it; I will always add at least Rebel vs Imperium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me there is one complete Race for the Galaxy system, divided into so-called base game and so-called expansions. This share-out is great idea because entire RftG system would be very difficult to learn for most players. And of course it is much easier to buy it on hire-purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.