BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Southeast

Subject: LFG North / Northwest Alabama rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Milam
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
I'm relatively new to the area and it seems the meet-up group nearby is not very near and not meeting at times that work for me so I thought I'd try here as starting a group on meet-up is a little too public for my taste.

I want to find a few (less than 10 more than 1) like-minded gamers to have semi-regular tabletop sessions with. My schedule changes a lot which makes it difficult, and I moved to this area so I have yet to find where my kind (nerds) congregate.

I live and can host in Muscle Shoals (NW Alabama) and I work in Decatur (N Central AL). Either location is doable, and I might even go to Madison or Huntsville if I find good people interested who can fit my random schedule.

I have almost no experience at this kind of thing unless you count poker nights in college so advice is welcome. I was hoping to find people who would play games from D&D to Settlers of Catan. Preferably relaxed easy going types as I consider myself to be. I don't mind taking the rules seriously, but I am in it for the fun not the procedure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Milam
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Hmmm not many enthusiastic AL gamers on here huh... bummer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Tanner
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about Muscle Shoals, but Huntsville has a few options.

There is Haven Comics in Madison - They play Legend of the 5 rings and Magic the Gathering here. They do Friday Night Magic as well as prerelease and release events for MTG. I think there is a group that plays RPGs here as well. It is primarily a comic store though.

The Deep in Huntsville - Not as familiar with this place. I know they do Magic the Gathering, as well as Heroclix. They stock a lot of board games, but I'm not sure what all they play here.

And The Foundry out in Huntsville - This is a dedicated gaming/hobby store. They have a ton of gaming support and events and tournaments going on all the time. Warhammer 40k, Warhammer Fantasy, Flames of War, and Warmachine are the big miniatures games here. There are lots of RPG groups, Magic the Gathering, and board games as well. Tons of table space and what not. I'm not sure what kind of gaming you are looking for, but you can probably find it here.

Here is their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/foundrygaming

In addition, you may try introducing yourself on the rocketcitygamers forum here:
http://rocketcitygamers.com/index.php

You should be able to find people that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Milam
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
I am familiar with those groups as well as a small gaming shop in Florence, but I have never been very interested in Magic and as far as I can tell the barrier to entry goes up each year with more cards.

Unfortunately every time I see an event for the google group for Rocket City Gamers or the Foundry it is at a bad time for me. They are on the other side of Hunstville from me about 1.5 hours from my home. I can spend an hour getting there from work through traffic to then spend an hour and a half driving home on a weeknight for maybe 2.5 hours of gaming. It's a committment, but if I can find someone on this side of town it can cut a lot of time off of it.

I had not seen either the facebook page or the other site though so I will sign up for both.

My main concern is my schedule verus theirs. I want to find a few people who can meet semi-regularly on an adjustable schedule... everything other detail is at the group's whim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Milam
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Thanks. Seems to be a few Tuscaloosa people around.

I got a post up on the Rocket City Gamers site, but it is almost exclusively Warhammer 40k... That's a little farther down the rabbit hole than I was thinking about. We'll see if anyone bites though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken, I am in southeast Huntsville, so pretty far away from you, but we have some shared interests. I don't currently have a face to face D&D group - I play online with old friends that are spread pretty far apart, but could probably get into a game that meets occasionally. My wife and I also occasionally host boardgame nights (nothing too exotic, just things like Carcassonne, Pandemic, Settlers, etc).

However, my main focus right now is trying to find a larger local pool of players to playtest my prototype skirmish-level tabletop wargame. If you're at all interested in games like D&D minis, Heroclix, etc. and are interested in playtesting, let me know. Here's a website for the game: www.skirmishtactics.com

I haven't scheduled any in-store playtests to date, though I was thinking about putting something at the Foundry.

Thanks,
David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Milam
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Thanks, I'll take a look at your site.

There may be a small group getting together the 3rd week of Jan. if you are interested.

I am also free this weekend although I assume most people are out visiting relatives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken, sent you a private message.

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Milam
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Instead of going back and forth checking multiple sites, I'll just post this here for any interested people.

Main thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Milam
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Bump due to new guy interested from bgg. Check the link above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Milam
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Bump again just to see if there are any new hits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Milam
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Still looking for more people, especially with 5E coming out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5e looks pretty sweet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Milam
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
It'd be nice to get everyone together to run through the starter set... alas our DM has left us.

PS Hurry up and get Allegiance out!!! I want that for my travel game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manta173 wrote:
It'd be nice to get everyone together to run through the starter set... alas our DM has left us.

PS Hurry up and get Allegiance out!!! I want that for my travel game.

I'm looking at a Kickstarter launch date of October 15.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Milam
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Started a G+ group for this, found a few interested parties for my side of the state. Thought I would post the link here.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/11131907563330117705...

Also, a new meetup group started for the Shoals area.

http://www.meetup.com/Shoals-Nerds-Geeks-and-Gamers/events/1...

I'm planning on getting a 5 edition group going soon if anyone here is interested. Most likely in Florence or Decatur, depending on everyone's preference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy mayfield
United States
Florence
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
I like being weird. Weird's all I've got. That and my sweet style.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Ken,

I live in Russellville and commute to Florence for work. I would be up for gaming on some nights (Tuesdays or Thursdays work best for me).

Let me know if you need another.

Jeremy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Milam
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
We did get a meetup group, g+ group and facebook group going.

I have even started DM'ing in Florence's FTW store every other Wednesday for 5th edition.

This weekend there is a small convention in Sheffield too. It looks like there will be board games and I think it will be fun for that part at least.

it seems like Wednesday is the most popular day for game nights, but I am sure others would be willing to play at other times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's awesome, Ken. I picked up the 5e Starter Set and read through it. I haven't got the PHB yet. How are you liking 5e? I probably won't have time to try it out soon (as I'm spending most of my free time with board and card games), but I really like the system at first glance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Milam
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
manta173 wrote:
We did get a meetup group, g+ group and facebook group going.

I have even started DM'ing in Florence's FTW store every other Wednesday for 5th edition.

This weekend there is a small convention in Sheffield too. It looks like there will be board games and I think it will be fun for that part at least.

it seems like Wednesday is the most popular day for game nights, but I am sure others would be willing to play at other times.

Just a bump. We have regular game nights at the FTW store in Florence (Seven Points Mall). Every Wednesday is either board game night or D&D. This week is board game night and next is D&D. We are always looking for more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Nelson
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately I'm a little farther than you're looking to travel. However if you're ever down in Jasper let me know. Also there will be a gaming get together for TableTop day in Cullman in April. I don't know if any local game stores around you are doing that or not, just saying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik E
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Roll Tide
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, the North Alabama Boardgamers meetup has expanded to a Thursday night meetup at Denny's in Cullman:

http://www.meetup.com/NorthAlabamaBoardgamers/events/2202407...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Milam
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
thebamaman wrote:
FYI, the North Alabama Boardgamers meetup has expanded to a Thursday night meetup at Denny's in Cullman:

http://www.meetup.com/NorthAlabamaBoardgamers/events/2202407...

That's great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dexter Frost
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you still looking for people. I am from the Florence area and have been dying to get in a board game group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy mayfield
United States
Florence
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
I like being weird. Weird's all I've got. That and my sweet style.
mbmbmbmbmb
smartjack wrote:
Are you still looking for people. I am from the Florence area and have been dying to get in a board game group.

Hello Dexter and welcome to BGG!

We do have a game group that meets every other Wednesday for board games at FTW (For The Win) in Florence. It's at the Seven Points shopping center a few doors down from Rice Box.

This coming Wednesday (4/8/15) is RPG night, but next Wednesday (4-15-15), we'll be running board games.

We meet at 7:00pm, but I usually get there around 6:30 or so. We usually run until 10:00 when the store closes.

Come join us! We also have a Facebook group set up as well: https://www.facebook.com/groups/633583920082699/?fref=nf

On a side note, this coming Saturday (4-11-14), some of us are going to The Deep comic book store in Huntsville for International Tabletop Day. They are running a 24 hour event for it, starting at midnight on Friday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.