Kris Wiggins
United States
Kingwood
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Uh! It's this darn dice tower!
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope I'm not re-asking something, or asking something with a total no-brainer answer. My wife and I are digging AH, but always have a few points in the game where we're not sure what to do.

1) How long do Mythos cards take effect? I think some specifically say "For this turn only", but most do not. Are Mythos cards' effects supposed to be in effect for the rest of the game once drawn? For instance, the one that freezes the Terror level. Or one that gives Maniacs +1 toughness. Round or game effect?

2) Do you lose sanity if a spell is NOT cast successfully? I think you do.

3) If you're in an Other World and have an Encounter that immediately takes you back to Arkham, do you have to wait until the next Encounter Phase to close the gate (meaning no movement on your next turn)? Or can you do it as soon as you're back?

4) Say you have explored a gate, are back in Arkham at the gate with an Explored token, and for whatever reason you have not closed that gate by the end of the Encounters phase (failed check, situation #3 above, whatever). You are now waiting for the next Encounter phase to close it. Before that though, during the Mythos phase a monster shows up at that very gate (as a result of a monster flood for instance). On your following Movement phase, if you are going to stay in place to close the gate during the Encounter phase, must you sneak past or fight that monster? I'm assuming you do, but would like to make sure.

5) I don't remember how this next one came up exactly, but it's similar to the previous. My best guess in recalling the situation is this: You are at a location, and that location receives a gate during Mythos, and of course a monster at that gate. I believe you will be sucked into the gate during your next Movement and are, at the time the gate appears, Delayed. So during the following Movement, you stand up and are sucked through the gate. BUT, do you have to fight or evade the monster that showed up before that happens? I don't think you do.

6) Finally, if you have an Encounter in which a monster appears, I understand that if you evade it or it kills you that you discard the monster back to the cup (it does not stick around). Say you defeat it though. Do you get to keep the trophy? Or does it go back to the cup?

Sorry this is long, guys. I appreciate your help in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wilson
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
krakrs wrote:
I hope I'm not re-asking something, or asking something with a total no-brainer answer. My wife and I are digging AH, but always have a few points in the game where we're not sure what to do.

1) How long do Mythos cards take effect? I think some specifically say "For this turn only", but most do not. Are Mythos cards' effects supposed to be in effect for the rest of the game once drawn? For instance, the one that freezes the Terror level. Or one that gives Maniacs +1 toughness. Round or game effect?

Environment cards stay in play (there are 3 different types of these - Urban, Weather and Mystic). They are discarded when another environment card enters play to replace it. This way there is almost always an environment card in play.

Headlines are usually an instant effect, but some say 'leave this card in play to indicate this'. When it says that it is a one turn effect so the card is discarded in the next Mythos phase.

Rumours stay in play until they are passed or failed, but only one rumour is in play at any one time.

krakrs wrote:

Yes you still pay the sanity cost, this is done before rolling to cast the spell.

krakrs wrote:
3) If you're in an Other World and have an Encounter that immediately takes you back to Arkham, do you have to wait until the next Encounter Phase to close the gate (meaning no movement on your next turn)? Or can you do it as soon as you're back?

This encounter happens in the other world encounters phase. Closing a gate happens in the arkham encounters phase. Therefore, you must wait until the next turn for the arkham encounters phase.

krakrs wrote:
4) Say you have explored a gate, are back in Arkham at the gate with an Explored token, and for whatever reason you have not closed that gate by the end of the Encounters phase (failed check, situation #3 above, whatever). You are now waiting for the next Encounter phase to close it. Before that though, during the Mythos phase a monster shows up at that very gate (as a result of a monster flood for instance). On your following Movement phase, if you are going to stay in place to close the gate during the Encounter phase, must you sneak past or fight that monster? I'm assuming you do, but would like to make sure.

Yes you must sneak past or fight that monster in this case.

krakrs wrote:
5) I don't remember how this next one came up exactly, but it's similar to the previous. My best guess in recalling the situation is this: You are at a location, and that location receives a gate during Mythos, and of course a monster at that gate. I believe you will be sucked into the gate during your next Movement and are, at the time the gate appears, Delayed. So during the following Movement, you stand up and are sucked through the gate. BUT, do you have to fight or evade the monster that showed up before that happens? I don't think you do.

This is wrong. You are sucked through gate and delayed as soon as the gate appears and before the monster is drawn. So your movement in the following turn will be to stand up in the first area of the other world.

krakrs wrote:
6) Finally, if you have an Encounter in which a monster appears, I understand that if you evade it or it kills you that you discard the monster back to the cup (it does not stick around). Say you defeat it though. Do you get to keep the trophy? Or does it go back to the cup?

It goes back to the cup.

krakrs wrote:

No worries
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Environment Mythos cards remain in the game until a new environment card comes up to replace it (the subset of the environment does not matter, be it weather, urban, or mystic). Headline Mythos is discarded after being resolved. A Rumor Mythos stay in play until passed or failed, any rumors drawn while one is already in play are discarded and redrawn.

2) Yes, sanity is lost before the spell is even attempted.

3) Yes, you wait until the next encounter phase to get your chance to close the gate.

4) If a monster appears, you must deal with it in some way during the movement phase.

5) If a gate opens at a location with an investigator during the mythos phase or the encounter phase, that investigator is sucked through immediately (do not wait for the next movement phase). They will be placed on the corresponding other world and are delayed. A monster will appear from the gate, but the investigator will already be drawn through and will not have to deal with it (yet).

On a side note, being sucked through a gate does not happen until the encounter phase, never on the movement phase.

6) You keep the trophy if you defeat it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't claim to be an expert but I have played a lot.

1) Most Mythos cards have an effect and that is it. SOME have the Environment (Mythos, Weather etc) keyworld. These have a continuing effect until another replaces it. Some have the Rumors Keyword. These stay in "play" until they resolve based on what the card says. If another rumor comes up the new rumor is discarded and the old one stays "in play".

2) Lose that sanity

3) Wait until next turn

4)Fight it or sneak! Follow the phases and most things work themselves out.

5)I am pretty sure you are sucked in right away you don't wait until your next move. You don't fight the monster. You are delayed.

6)Keep that beast!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
Germany
Franconia
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
badge
Please fondle my bum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of your questions are answered in various FAQs. But here there are:

1) environment cards last until the next envirenment card (of any kind) is drawn. Rumour cards last until it is either a success or a failure. The rest are one-turn-only cards
2)yes
3)you have to wait
4)you have to sneak/fight
5)you are drawn through the gate (and delayed) the isntance the gate appears at your location. You don't even "see" the monster
6)you can keep the trophy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
Germany
Franconia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Please fondle my bum.
mbmbmbmbmb
4 identical answers in no time
call that non-euclidian goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
krakrs wrote:

Depends on what type it is. At a bare minimum, they are usually in effect one turn. They typically get replaced during Step 4 of the Mythos card resolution phase. Environments stay in effect for multiple turns until a new environment boots them out. A rumor stays in effect until either the pass or fail condition is met. It prevents future rumors from coming out while it is still active. You can have a Headline, Environment and Rumor in effect all at the same time.

Quote:

Yes. You still suffer the mental anguish even though you failed.

Quote:

Follow the phases. If you are sent back due to an encounter, it is Phase 4. You can only close gates during phase 3. So you must wait until the next turn.

Quote:

Yes. You must either attempt to evade it or fight it. But you must engage it by the end of Phase 2.

Quote:

You are drawn through immediately, regardless of phase, if a gate opens up on you. If it places a monster, the monster is placed after you have been drawn through so you do not fight each other at this time.

Quote:

Yes, you may keep it. Some editions of the rules are a bit confusing. the point about going back to the cup is just to be clear it is not added to the board and is only limited to that specific encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting...We seem to have a disagreement on whether you keep or return to the cup defeated monsters. My understanding was you keep any monster that you defeat no matter where you do unless it is Endless.

Edit: Always go with Brian. I am just glad I beat him to the punch for once. This guy is the AH master!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. There are three types of Mythos cards. Those marked Rumor stay in play, and in effect, until their Pass or Fail conditions are met. The Environment cards stay in play and in effect until a new Environment is drawn, which replaces the old Environment. Note that only one Environment can be in play at once, even though there are different types (Urban, Mystic, Weather). Finally, Headline cards usually have their effect instantaneously; those that have a lasting effect last only until the next Mythos Phase begins. There can only be three Mythos cards in effect total at one time; one Rumor, one Environment, and one Headline.

2. Yes, the Sanity is lost and the card is exhausted; however spell cards which are discarded when cast only get tossed if the spell succeeds.

3. Follow the phases; if it is past the Arkham Encounter Phase,you must wait for the next turn to attempt to close. (This is true even if you are closing with an Elder Sign, which says "any phase"... you can use it any time you could close, but it does not create an opportunity to close). Also note that your immunity from fighting Monsters in your location on the turn you Return to Arkham ends at Mythos, so if you return during Other World Encounters, you WILL have to deal with Monsters during the next Movement Phase.

4. You are correct; if you stay at the Location multiple turns, you have to evade or fight any monsters which show up.

5. ANY time a gate opens in a location, any and all Investigators in that location are immediately pulled through, AND delayed. There is no waiting until next Movement Phase (and Investiagators enter Gates during Arkham Encounters, anyway.)

6. It goes back to the cup Your receive it as a trophy, unless it has the Endless ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wilson
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignore my answer to that last question, I have obviously been playing it wrong all this time.

EDIT: Although I have just checked the rules: p22

MONSTERS IN ENCOUNTERS
No matter
how the encounter is resolved, the monster is never left
on the board. The monster is returned to the monster
cup, regardless of whether the investigator evades or
defeats the monster, or is knocked unconscious or driven
insane by it.

This is why I have always played it that the monster goes back to the cup. It specifically states that the monster is returned to the cup regardless of whether the investigator defeats the monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa...ninjaed by a whole clan...
ninjaninjaninjaninjaninjaninjaninjarobotninjaninjaninjaninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
Germany
Franconia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Please fondle my bum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:

6. It goes back to the cup, unless it has the Endless ability.

now, that's strange zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pethulhu wrote:
Radulla wrote:

6. It goes back to the cup, unless it has the Endless ability.

now, that's strange zombie

Not strange... just wrong. I meant to type the complete opposite. Thanks, correcting it above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wilson
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I have just checked the rules: p22

MONSTERS IN ENCOUNTERS
No matter
insane by it.

This is why I have always played it that the monster goes back to the cup. It specifically states that the monster is returned to the cup regardless of whether the investigator defeats the monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FAAx 87
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kjpw_88 wrote:

It goes back to the cup.

that gave me a mini heart attack!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding #3, it may be worth noting that a return to Arkham by means of the spell "Find Gate" happens in the Movement Phase, so one can then also attempt to close the gate during that same turn. This is because the Arkham Encounters Phase (when gate closures are attempted) happens AFTER the Movement Phase. So, it is better to "Return to Arkham" with "Find Gate" than to "Return to Arkham" through an Other World Encounter. This makes "Find Gate" a totally awesome spell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wilson
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FAAx87 wrote:
kjpw_88 wrote:

It goes back to the cup.

that gave me a mini heart attack!

Why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FAAx 87
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because I thought I played wrong for years! But then I scrolled down and everything went better than expected
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wilson
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I'm still not convinced. Like I said the rulebook states that the monster returns to the cup even if the investigator defeats the monster.

EDIT: Just found this on the FFG Forum:

Monsters that appear as a result of an encounter (09/15/05)
Monsters that appear as a result of an encounter can still be defeated normally (collected as a trophy, turned into a unique item, whatever), they just go back to the cup immediately if they defeat the investigator or the investigator escapes the battle. There was a bit of a typo in the rulebook there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Hogan
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kjpw_88 wrote:

MONSTERS IN ENCOUNTERS
No matter
insane by it.

This has been updated in the Revised rules, FAQ, and is included in the DH rulebook. These monsters can be taken as trophies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
kjpw_88 wrote:

MONSTERS IN ENCOUNTERS
No matter
insane by it.

This is incorrect. Again, the point is that the monster doesn't stay on the board. If you defeat it, you keep it as a trophy. If you evade or lose, then it goes to the cup.

This was clarified either in the FAQ or on the old threads. Also why I said the rules are poorly worded on the subject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
kjpw_88 wrote:

MONSTERS IN ENCOUNTERS
No matter
insane by it.

This is incorrect. Again, the point is that the monster doesn't stay on the board. If you defeat it, you keep it as a trophy. If you evade or lose, then it goes to the cup.

This was clarified either in the FAQ or on the old threads. Also why I said the rules are poorly worded on the subject.

I wouldn't say it is poorly worded; it is flat out self-contradictory.

Quote:
MONSTERS IN ENCOUNTERS

Many location and Other World encounters indicate that a monster appears. To resolve such an encounter, the player must draw a monster from the monster cup and resolve the encounter as normal (i.e., the investigator may attempt to evade the monster or fight it). No matter how the encounter is resolved, the monster is never left on the board. The monster is returned to the monster cup, regardless of whether the investigator evades or defeats the monster, or is knocked unconscious or driven insane by it.

Many encounters state that “A gate and a monster appear!” For these encounters, both the monster and the gate stay on the board. However, many other encounters state that just a monster appears. For example, one of the Black Cave encounters states “A monster appears!” and one of the Hibb’s Roadhouse encounters states “A horrible monster appears!” When a monster but not a gate appears in an encounter, the monster does not stay on the board. If such a monster is defeated, players may take it as a trophy (unless its special ability says otherwise). If the monster is not defeated, it is returned to the monster cup, regardless of whether the investigator evades the monster or is knocked unconscious or driven insane by it.

I have the revised printing of the A.H. rules, so I don't know if this differs from the original printing. It may be an oversight from incorporating the F.A.Q., which repeats the second paragraph.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.