Subject: Expansion adds too much downtime between turns? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Calabig
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
I recently played this over the weekend and felt the soul gems add tons of downtime to the game, especially when multiple card combinations allow you to draw multiple soul gems.

Anyone else feel this adds too many effects/modifications to cards per turn and can lead to some very long turns in the long run?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, card combos long before them made some turns very long anyway. But if you feel it to be so, don't use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, i havent noticed a real difference from a normal hero that draws a card as far as introducing new info midturn and enabling a chain of effects. feels same same but different to me so far in my first few plays. not being able to hold over soul gems from turn to turn definitely keeps the AP tolerable IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ecalabig wrote:
Anyone else feel this adds too many effects/modifications to cards per turn and can lead to some very long turns in the long run?

I only have one play so far, but we did not get the sense of there being unusually long turns on a regular basis. We had 1 turn (out of many possible turns during that game) with more than 2 soul gem draws and this turn took something like 2 minutes or so to resolve.

We had the opposite view so rather than it being a problem we thought that it was kind of cool to construct a long chain. If it happened a lot it would turn Ascension into a snoozer of a game but a couple, or even a few, times in a game didn't strike us as a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FOr those who've gotten 1 to few plays, can you safely say longer times aren't also attributed to less familiarity of the game's other aspects?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
ehh... soul gem is a really easy and fast mechanic, all you do is a draw a card and read it. I'm pretty sure the designers made this mechanic as simple as possible to avoid increasing the downtime.
same for events variant.

maybe you just didn't memorize the new cards yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.