Small World» Forums » General

Subject: About Small World Replayability... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tan shiyang
Malaysia
flag msg tools
Hi Everyone!
the theme of Small World really attractive and it got my attention!
but after watching and reading some review,
some of them said this game got high replayability because of the races,special power and combination.
but some of them feel it has low replayability because after some game,the combination won't work to make you feel fresh and it will get samey all the time...
maybe it need to get expansion to make it great replay value?
I never try out myself,and hope any of you guys can share your opinion about replayability of this game. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s a fun game but I didn’t really find the new races added much to the replayability. I would say if you don’t get into the game enough for long-term play, no amount of expansions are going to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
INCREDIBLY replayable.

Sure, expansions add to the fun, but its pretty much impossible to end up with the same line up of races even in the base set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
INCREDIBLY replayable.

Sure, expansions add to the fun, but its pretty much impossible to end up with the same line up of races even in the base set.

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. B. Green
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to my logged plays, I've played Small World 14 times, there are probably a couple of plays I haven't logged. Over the roughly 2 years I've had the game, I've picked up 2 expansions, which overall gave me 8 new races and 7 new powers. This feels like plenty to me. I might pick up Cursed! at some point, since it's pretty cheap.

But the fact is, I probably could have gotten by with no expansions. I didn't buy the expansions because the game "needed" them... I bought them because I really liked the game, and if an occasional $10-$15 gives it a shot of novelty, so much the better.

Maybe if I'd had the game for two years and not gotten any expansions, and played 14+ times, maybe by now it might start to feel "samey." But frankly, even if it did feel a little "samey," that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world... because I really like the game. And frankly, it's not just the variation in race/power combos that make each game different, but at what point in the game a given combo comes up, how many players you're playing against (and which race/power combos they choose), and all sorts of other factors.

I personally think the game has outstanding replayability, even with just the base set. I think that people who complain about any lack of replayability are really just complaining about the gameplay/strategy, which (like most games) can follow a more or less consistent pattern. Yes, there is a certain surface similarity to each game of Small World, but once you scratch that surface, the variation is pretty extraordinary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game tends to split people into 2 camps.

In camp 1 are the people who really like the game, and could play it over and over even without any expansions.

In camp 2 are the people who don't like the game, were bored midway through their first game, and didn't find that the existing set of race/combos gave it any replayability at all.

Any chance you could try before you buy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Small World

I like the game but most games of Small World do feel similar. I don't think this is solved by the expansion (though I will pick them up when I see them cheaply as they are fun). Your unlikely to see the same power combos game to game - so I wouldn't worry about that.

I do think the base game will pay for itself provided you have a group that like the base game and are happy to play competitively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the Tales & Legends expansion and every game feels fresh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately my friends didn't like it...the one time they wanted to try it lead to a lot of discussions...and now they say they don't like it. They say they need to look up a lot of things during the game which they don't like.

I did buy all the expansions (cuz I'm a completist) and hope it will one day be brought back to the table again...maybe with other people...

Every now and then I play it with my partner, but as a 2-player it feels rather boring...

last time we played was like 6 months ago...bought the game christmas 2011.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Khonnor wrote:
Unfortunately my friends didn't like it...the one time they wanted to try it lead to a lot of discussions...and now they say they don't like it. They say they need to look up a lot of things during the game which they don't like.

I did buy all the expansions (cuz I'm a completist) and hope it will one day be brought back to the table again...maybe with other people...

Every now and then I play it with my partner, but as a 2-player it feels rather boring...

There are files on the geek which include all the powers and races of the expansions on 1 sheet (back to back). Very useful and I highly recommend these are printed out and be used during games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tan shiyang
Malaysia
flag msg tools
Khonnor wrote:

You never enjoy the game even once? no blast at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shiyang wrote:
You never enjoy the game even once? no blast at all?

Oh no, I like the game...I think it looks amazing and is a nice game. My friends think otherwise, after just one game. Every time I suggested to play it again, they voted against it.

I do play with my partner, but he doesn't really enjoy it either, so he just basically sits there and lets me win. No real challenge there.

I am thinking about picking up REALMS to maybe breathe new life into this game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freddieyu wrote:
There are files on the geek which include all the powers and races of the expansions on 1 sheet (back to back). Very useful and I highly recommend these are printed out and be used during games.

Thanks...I'll look it up...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bally Man
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm very new into the whole board gaming scene. I have a very light gaming group who are pretty adverse to any kind of complexity in a game. (Me my friend and our girlfriends) I'm dying to experience more and more games. Tbh only own catan, seafarers, dominion but play ttr and dominion expansions a lot.

I'm really keen on getting Small world because hopefully it could be a light game that the group would like. I personally would like to get into heavier and heavier games but I guess it's more important to accommodate the group otherwise you get no games in at all.

Does this game have the longevity to go along with my description?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ballyman91 wrote:
I'm very new into the whole board gaming scene. I have a very light gaming group who are pretty adverse to any kind of complexity in a game. (Me my friend and our girlfriends) I'm dying to experience more and more games. Tbh only own catan, seafarers, dominion but play ttr and dominion expansions a lot.

I'm really keen on getting Small world because hopefully it could be a light game that the group would like. I personally would like to get into heavier and heavier games but I guess it's more important to accommodate the group otherwise you get no games in at all.

A pretty fun game which is easier to teach would be King of Tokyo, if you can find a copy that is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ballyman91 wrote:

There can be a lot of referring to the rule book to see what does what. It isn't complicated but may seem overwhelming. I would recommend Citadels. Simple but complex. Cheap but fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bally Man
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:
Ballyman91 wrote:

There can be a lot of referring to the rule book to see what does what. It isn't complicated but may seem overwhelming. I would recommend Citadels. Simple but complex. Cheap but fun.

Wow that is so funny you said that. Me and my friend were at a friend's the other night. (more hardcore gaming group). He wapped out a copy of Citadels and we absolutely loved it. We were debating how girlfriend friendly it was though. Our girlfriends don't really like dominion because of the cards so that worried me a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
Khonnor wrote:
I am thinking about picking up REALMS to maybe breathe new life into this game...

DON'T DO IT!!!
Small World is my favorite game to play. (I didn't say it was the "best" game.) But I'm by no means the type who will go gaga over everything associated with it. I picked up Realms as soon as it came out, and I've played it 2 or 3 times, and to be honest it just sits around. I really thought it would blow my mind, but it's just a lot of work for the sake of making a new map, IMO.
I know I will get many more plays of it, and really get my money's worth. I even expect to be able to invent some great new maps at some point, when time allows, BUT if you are buying this to in some way change people's impression of the base game, you will be disappointed and out 30 bucks (or whatever the equivalent is in your economy).

With that said, your friends have a very valid complaint. When you are learning this particular game all of those races & powers and how they intersect can be overwhelming. The game itself is really simple. Too bad they gave up after 1 play, because it's always easier after that 1st one...unless you wait 6 months before giving it another try. Then you have to start back at "square one" and grit your teeth again.

Two things can help alot with the learning curve of this game:
1) All players should focus on just what their race/power combo can do, and play to its strengths. Don't even read the whole sheet of Powers & Races; there's no need to know all of that to take your turn. As you play everyone will begin to appreciate what the other players races can do too, and they'll think things like, "Ooh, next time I need to pick that race!"
2) This player's aid and this rules clarification sheet should keep you from having to dig through the box and/or rulebook every 15 seconds.

Good luck! I hope you see many plays.
Ballyman91 wrote:

YES!!! Do it. Pull the trigger. Longevity/Replayability is one thing that Small World is not short on. People may criticize certain aspects of the game, but with a few cheap expansions for the races & powers, at least this one never ever gets old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This is my clone
United States
Watertown
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really think one needs to give this game a few tries before shelving it or making a final decision. When I first started playing it was quite fun but I started to loose interest quickly, feeling that the game was repetitive even with different racial combos each game. I then switched to Underground and I that was alot better. All those little tribes everywhere in the original were getting old for me and I liked the relic and locations. But eventually it started to feel the same as before. So I went to other things.

Recently we pulled it out again and I although nothing is different, I now love the game and can play it over and over. All the issues I had before are now gone. Each game feels new and fresh and exciting. I'm not exactly sure why I feel different about it now,I just do. So... give the game a few gos, and even if you've shelved it try it again, maybe it'll start to click then. It did for me.

Also, the expansions can be alot of fun, check them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.