Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't know much about Vlaada. What I do know is that he creates quirky as hell games that are thematically sound yet fairly heavy..... but I have yet to see one that's got a dry spot on it anywhere!

I want to know more about this man. If anyone can explain how the game feels to play and not a rehash of the rules, I'd love it. For example, if you read my Innovation review, you'll see that I tried to explain how the game feels when I play it, and not the damned rules.

Funds are limited so need to be picky

What I have experience with:

- Mage Knight Board Game is an amazingly designed game and I loved playing it..... with others who know the rules. I used to own it but sold it as setup is way too fiddly and so are the billions of rules. It would take me about 2 hours to explore two new hex tiles before I got tired of the constant rule-checking. Gameplay was great, but learning all the different parts was more work than it was worth. Also I then bought and played

- Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization. Currently my favorite game. Brilliant design, it's a dry cardgame that doesn't feel dry nor like a cardgame in the slightest. It feels like a damned good strategy videogame. I felt like this was giving me the weight and substantial satisfaction I was hoping to get out of Mage Knight, but better!

To be fair, I use BGG files (cheat sheets, FAQs, etc) that have been created over the years with TtA. When I tried MK, I didn't really find any files that seemed like they'd help (but there has been a surge of new ones in the last 6 or so months).

Having said that, I've looked a bit into other Vlaada games but not enough to make an informed decision.

d10-1Space Alert or Galaxy Trucker:

Two quirky games about trying to get your spaceship through space without it obliterating before your eyes. Obviously, both have very different gameplay. The negatives of Galaxy Trucker is that the space travel part plays itself and, relatedly, it's more of a lighter fun social game (not that that's a bad thing. There is a time and a place for those types of games).

Space Alert is a co-op game... something I've never been too fond of. lacreighton is one of the vocal critics of Agricola; in her opinion, it's a 2+ hour game where the winner is determined at the start by the hand of cards they hold. While I haven't played Agricola beyond the family game, this is one of my big pet peeves with co-op games, that no matter how well you play you can still lose based on luck. Risk management is one thing and I'm fine and happy with that (eg, a game where you bet on the outcome of a roll of two d6's). But a game like Solitaire or Black Jack where some setups mean you'll fail no matter how risky or conservatively you play, those games irk me. Does Space Alert have this aspect? I also am not a huge fan of the CD, as there are many times I can't game with a CD player (like at meetups)

d10-2 Dungeon Lords/Dungeon Petz

- I've looked a bit into Dungeon Lords. I'm not 100% sure what it is, but it's got a theme that seems like the videogames Evil Genius and Dungeon Keeper. I like the idea of a dungeon crawler from the bad guy's perspective. I've never been into Dungeon Crawlers, but the playful inverse side of it has always amused me, with the wacky traps and everything.

NO idea what Dungeon Petz is all about. I know it's the same universe, but I hear it's a different game altogether and I'm fairly certain I'd be happy with both.

So any help, links to great (but not overly long) reviews, advice, standouts, etc etc would be much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I haven't played Mage Knight, but I've played and love Through the Ages. I don't know how those two compare to one another, but what I like about Through the Ages is much the same as what you like -- the weight, the challenge, and the feeling that you're getting squeezed by the system.

The thing is, no other Vlaada game I've played has felt like that. Galaxy Trucker feels like two different games -- one of efficient construction, the other of weathering the storm -- but they seem disconnected, as the efficient construction doesn't reward you in any meaningful way. Space Alert is too chaotic for me, but I can see why it has its fans. For me, what bothered me was that one person getting the instructions wrong would ruin the chances for the entire team. Again, I see why some folks would like it, but I was put off by it, and besides, I'm not much for co-op games, either.

Dungeon Lords showed some promise. I like the way that players pick their actions on the central board, and how you have to pick your actions based on what you think other people are going to do, and limit your choices on future turns each time you pick an action. But the dungeon-building/adventurer-fighting part of the game felt entirely different. It's at least tied in with the theme better than I thought the Galaxy Trucker parts were, but it didn't wow me. I'd play it again, though. And I don't know a thing about Dungeon Petz's gameplay.

I'd say if you like Through the Ages, stick with it and keep playing it. I'm convinced that it was an errant game in Vlaada's ludography, as no other game he's designed comes close to how it feels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to love Vlaada's games, but then, I tend to like chaos and unpredictability. As Verkisto said, Through the Ages is the odd man out in his ludography, and there's nothing else that's really similar. But I can give you my views on the games you mentioned.

GALAXY TRUCKER: This is one of my favorite games. There are two halves to each round - spaceship construction and the journey. The journey is not much more than flipping cards over and seeing what happens. The trick is to design your spaceship to minimize the damage. You can peek at what's coming during the build phase to help you prepare, but there will always be elements you won't know. It's a game that you have to approach like a puzzle, and you have to be OK with the fact that bad things WILL happen to you, no matter how well you prepared. A lot of people don't like that lack of control.

SPACE ALERT: This is a cooperative game, but it's a real-time co-op. Each Ayer is individually doing their jobs while trying to coordinate with others to survive. It deals with the leader problem of a lot of co-ops because there's no time to tell anyone else what to do or argue. Luck is a factor - threats and trajectories are random, as is what you have in the game. It's hard, no doubt about it. But, again, you have to approach it like a puzzle. This time, you're all doing a puzzle together.

DUNGEON LORDS: Not as light as the theme would suggest. It's a worker placement game where you're trying to build a dungeon and keep out adventurers. You program your action choices for each season (three different action cards), then reveal one at a time. Depending on what everyone else reveals, you get different things based on what you chose. It's a game of reading your opponents as much as trying to do your own thing. Some people don't like the relative lack of decisions, but I think it's a strong part of the game - you have a limited number of choices, and you have to decide how to best execute your plan to optimize your dungeon.

DUNGEON PETZ: This is a different game than DL, but there are some similarities apart from the theme. It's another worker placement game, though you have to do a kind of bid to get your imps on the board - group them together into clumps, and the highest bid goes first when placing. There are some economic elements as you buy a pet, try to keep it fed and happy, and attempt to sell it for the best price. I think the theme drives it a little more than Dungeon Lords.

All of these games feature an element of chaos, which has become something of a hallmark in Vlaada's games. If it's not something that appeals to you, then maybe his games aren't for you. I love them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Bridges
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
The stronger the telescope, the more stars there are...
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy Trucker and Dungeon Lords are both build them up, watch them burn games, with Galaxy Trucker being time-controlled. Basically, you spend part of the game making things as strong as you can, then allow the game to try and break you down. The scoring in Dungeon Lords is very much like Mage Knight bonus scoring. Space Alert is a great co-op game with simultaneous programmed action, like Robo Rally. Dungeon Petz is very much a tactical worker placement game built on a strategic planning game. While I think Dungeon Petz is the deepest of the set, I think Galaxy Trucker is the best game outside of those you have already played and mentioned. Dungeon Lords is fun, but it is not really a dungeon crawl at all. It is pretty Euro, sometimes tedious, and very tongue-in-cheek (reading the rules to any of these games makes you chuckle...very witty rulebooks). Don't think for a second that it is anything like Mage Knight. Space Alert is a co-op, so while interesting to play in a social setting, it doesn't offer as much reward as doing well in the others. I like timed puzzle games, so I would suggest Galaxy Trucker, with Dungeon Petz as a close second for its depth. Nothing compares to Through the Ages. Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played many of Vlaada's games, but *not* Through The Ages, so take me with a grain of salt for that reason.

Space Alert really has very little luck in it. That thing where co-ops have to screw you over sometimes so that you don't always win? Space Alert handles that with time pressure. Some card flips will make everyone wince more than others, but I'm not convinced that the base game has any literally unwinnable setups. You can gamble and lose but that's a choice you make (e.g. "I don't have the cards to fire any rockets and I don't have time to wait for new cards before deciding whether to leave my station... but I could make a run for the rocket bay just before we draw new cards and *probably* I'll get one").

If you or anybody you game with has a smartphone, there are iPhone/Android apps that replace the Space Alert CD, making the game much more portable (and slightly more customizable).

I like Galaxy Trucker quite a bit, but yeah, the resolution round doesn't have much active play in it, and it's never going to be as close to my heart as Space Alert.

Dungeon Petz is deeply satisfying to do well at, and while it does have a fair number of fiddly little rules, they don't have the "wait, let me look it up" factor that Mage Knight's details do. Where Mage Knight has pretty steep trade-offs for resource flexibility ("I'm not using my Influence 4 as a Move 1 unless I really really need to"), Dungeon Petz has more subtle and varying downsides to similar-looking options.

(Or maybe I'm just better at Dungeon Petz.)

It's also a much more substantial game than you'd expect from just reading up on the theme. "Okay, I need to see how much I can make my pet poop this turn, and pick up my cousin from the train station, and then I'm set. Wait no, I need that shiny new cage that comes with free pet toys. Now, do I live with merely amateur levels of pooping, or leave Edgar stranded at the train?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all the games mentioned. I rate them:
Through The Ages
Mage Knight
Dungeon Petz
Galaxy Trucker (I just bought Anniversary edition, which comes with both big-box expansions)
Space Alert (real-time co-op -- you'll love it or hate it for exactly that)
Dungeon Lords (gameplay doesn't feel as polished or engaging to me as most other Vlaada games).

But it sounds like you already know enough about the games to make a decision, factoring in the ratings available. With the possible exception of Dungeon Petz. That game feels fairly unique, but the feel aspect is that there is a puzzle element where you have to figure out how to feed your petz, but the cool thing is that all players do this at the same time, which really cuts down on downtime. There's a bit of blind bidding, which is a touchy subject for some gamers.

You left out numerous other Vlaada games (I happen to really like Graenaland as an alternative to Settlers, but it's not in print), but you also more surprisingly didn't mention his latest: Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar. Given the overwhelmingly positive feedback it is getting, you might want to consider that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
You left out numerous other Vlaada games (I happen to really like Graenaland as an alternative to Settlers, but it's not in print), but you also more surprisingly didn't mention his latest: Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar. Given the overwhelmingly positive feedback it is getting, you might want to consider that.

Tzolk'in is not a Vlaada design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
curtc wrote:
...but you also more surprisingly didn't mention his latest: Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar.

Tzolk'in isn't a Vlaada game. It's published by CGE, but it's not one of his designs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blush

Oops. I think I saw pictures of him playing at Essen and just assumed. Sorry 'bout that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You're correct, I didn't mention his other games. That was an error on my part... I wanted to but was in a rush and had to finish the post. I'd love to hear that Bunny Bunny Moose Moose is unanimously known as the best game he ever put out (ie not necessarily that but something new and unexpected about what game to look at next). I didn't mean to limit it to those 4

It sounds like Dungeon Petz would be right up my alley, (surprisingly with its tamagotchi-like theme), based off the impressions I'm getting from it here. I like solo puzzle stuff. I remember reading when it was released that wives enjoyed playing it as well (a huge plus). I'm gonna look more into it! Needing to feed your pets rings of Agricola, not a bad thing!

Galaxy Trucker looks amazingly fun but I don't....quite.....think it's worth the hefty price tag. The components might, but the gameplay, to me, just isn't from what I've seen.

Space Alert, I think I have the opportunity to play a friend's copy. With the right group, that would be a lot of fun no doubt, but the question is how often would it hit the table? How I wish I'd discovered boardgames in college (though, admittedly, all these games were released after I graduated. Still, there are some greats prior to 2006!) The smartphone thing does make it more approachable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played them all. I generally enjoy every one of them, some more than others. Although, in my opinion, I think very few of his games feel alike. They are all unique and different. Vlaada really does go out of his way to explore new territory with each game. He is truly a great game designer. OK, enough gushing. Here are my thoughts on the games mentioned.

TTA is a true masterpiece. You've chosen wisely with that one. This will stand the test of time as one of the best games ever designed.

Mage Knight is a great game as well, although I wouldn't call it a masterpiece. It's a drop too long for its own good, and may be too hard for many of its potential fans. But it is also unapologetic about any of this, and doesn't take any shortcuts to avoid being long and difficult. For me, that's a plus. It's a great game, with a ton of replay value, and is dripping in theme. But it is not for everybody.

Galaxy Trucker is a great game, although it's lower on my list of favorites, mostly due to the passive second round. It's an "experience" kind of game, though, so it gets a pass there for me. You play it to watch it blow up. Anything more, and you'll get frustrated. It is worth noting, however, that the upcoming expansion is going to add some additional interactivity in the resolution round with the introduction of on-board invaders that move about your ship. I don't know a ton about them, but it sounds like you will have to make decisions about where to allow them to go, and what they might destroy. Whatever they turn out to be, they sound like a step in the right direction for people that don't like the resolution phase due to its passive nature.

Space Alert - This game is a hoot. BUT, you need some dedicated game partners to get the most out of it. The first play or two are confusing, and the game really starts to shine once everybody has experience with it. This game feels more like a party game than Galaxy Trucker, as it is frantic, at times funny, and everybody is in it together. It definitely is a more divisive game, though. Some people love it. Others hate it. Of all of the games on this list, I wonder if this one has the lowest replayability in it. After 10 plays, you may feel like you've seen it all.

Dungeon Lords - I've only played this twice, so this is the game I have the least experience with. Overall, I really like it. But it definitely has the Galaxy Trucker-esque you-may-be-screwed-completely-by-one-card-if-you-didn't-look-at-it quality. You can literally play the first phase of the game for 45 minutes, and then get to the dungeon-raiding phase and be devastated by one card. Unfortunately, this is a major flaw for me, even though I like the game. Thematically, the bad cards work better in Galaxy Trucker, where the ship building rounds are 5 minutes and you expect to be shot at from every angle. But in Dungeon Lords, when you draw the card that says "your traps will not work this year", and you designed your entire dungeon based on the traps, it kind of sucks. You only get one dungeon the entire game, and if the invaders destroy it because of that card, your game is over. Some people will complain at the completely abstract nature of the invasion phase - it does NOT feel like a dungeon crawl at all - and how disconnected it is from the worker placement phase, but I think it generally works well once you understand how they relate. The theme does shine through. It is quirky and engaging. But again, it's not perfect.

Dungeon Petz - This is my favorite of Vlaada's games after Through The Ages. I think the luck factor is lower here than the other ones on this list. Someone made a comment about the blind bidding being potentially a turn-off for some people, but I think this is one of the few games where the blind bidding is completely thematic and makes sense. When you send your imps out shopping in the morning, you don't know who else will be there when you get there. That's realistic. And it makes sense that the bigger groups will intimidate the smaller groups and get their choice of stuff in the marketplace (cause that's how imps roll). Unlike Dungeon Lords, where your worker-choice may completely flop and be wasted if someone else picked first, in DP, you have a choice of where to place imps at the time of placement, which is quite forgiving, AND you can always return the imps home to clean cages, help defend your shop against escaping creatures, or just dig for gold. Unlike most worker placement games, workers in DP are rarely wasted. In fact, workers NEED to be brought back home occasionally to handle other duties, and the timing of when they need to come home is often times an integral decision in the game.

Continuing on about DP, though. I think the worker placement phase is extremely well integrated into the creature-care phase. Every decision you make affects both phases. And the game builds to a nice crecendo as players jockey for big sales at the end. I think it is a tightly-designed worker-placement phase that works well on many levels. It manages to have Agricola-like depth WITHOUT the need for massive amounts of cards. In fact, now I kind of wish someone came out with an Agricola-themed DP... naw... nothing beats a blood thirsty bunny...

Finally, back to the Vlaada list, lets not forget some of his other games, Sneaks & Snitches (a fun little filler), Bunny Bunny Moose Moose (a game I suck at), and Travel Blog (a game my daughter kills me at). We are about as far from TTA as possible here, but I thought I'd add them for completeness.

Here are my Vlaada rankings, in order:

LOVE:
TTA
Dungeon Petz
Mage Knight

LIKE:
Galaxy Trucker
Dungeon Lords
Space Alert
Sneaks & Snitches
Travel Blog

LIKE A LITTLE, WOULD PLAY ONCE IN A WHILE:
Bunny Bunny Moose Moose

DISLIKE:
NONE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:
Space Alert - [...] Of all of the games on this list, I wonder if this one has the lowest replayability in it. After 10 plays, you may feel like you've seen it all.

You're either vastly better at Space Alert than me and my friends, or vastly more easily bored. After 10 plays we were just scratching the surface of actually ever winning. And since figuring out how to improve is the fun part, that meant a lot of gameplay left to find.

(That said, I got the expansion early, even though we didn't touch red threats or double actions for months. It's possible that the specializations and the handful of new white/yellow threats provided just enough variety to get us past that initial "okay, we know how this game works now" boredom hump that every game has a little bit after it clicks.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe, of the games discussed, I've only missed out on Dungeon Lords. Although I did get a pretty thorough tutorial, even though I didn't play it. Here are my rankings and thoughts:

1. Through the Ages - It's true: it is his masterpiece. I've been trying to find another Vlaada game that I like as much. He doesn't have one, yet.

2. Dungeon Pets - (I refuse to misspell pets.) This is my second-favorite title from Vlaada. I like its theme and the way the game works itself out around that theme. It doesn't feel anything like playing Agricola. It's closer to a disaster/chaos-management exercise than a feed-my-animals exercise. Feeding your pets is just one of the challenges you play against. You also have to entertain them, contain them, etc. The unpredictability of all this comes at the luck of the draw.

The things I love most is how scoring works. I really like the exhibition scoring, and I absolutely LOVE the customer scoring. It is a brilliant, thematic structure for scoring intermediate. So much fun in the customers. The auction mechanic is also unique in the worker-placement category. I like the decisions players face there.

Its downside is for players who don't like chaos. My brother-in-law doesn't like it much. He said something to this effect: "It's frustrating because I can't make any plans. I'm just trying to do the best I can at every stage and it's impossible to make it all work out well." He doesn't like the chaos found there. He wants more control. He really likes Trajan, almost all the information is on the table and he controls everything on his board.

3. Space Alert - I really, really like Space Alert. But I'm thinking I might be selling it soon because I just can't get people to play it enough to make it worth the shelf space. Only consider getting this if you have 4 other players who are willing to take a journey into playing it regularly. If you don't have that, pass for now.

4. Galaxy Trucker - I also like GT, but my sister owns it and so I don't get to play it much. The time pressure makes it interesting during the build-up phase. If you have people who like to take their time to make optimal decisions, this will not be their cup of tea. My wife does not like timed games for this very reason. But if the idea of throwing together a quick blue-print for a ship, and having constant pressure to do it faster than you're comfortable doing it, this could be a hit. The price tag is steep for a game that often splits its audiences.

5. Mage Knight - I own it. I've played it a few times. I've wanted to play it more. But every time I think about pulling it out, I think about the time it will take to set up, play, and take down. Then I think about re-learning all the rules, and revisiting the rulebook every time I uncover new land, or am considering an attack, or can't remember what that type of building feature represents and what it means, and... I end up not opening it up, and opting for something I can play quicker. Even though I recognize its brilliant design and complexity--and I truly admire it for all that--I'm thinking it will be going to the sell block soon.

6. Bunny Bunny Moose Moose - I'm glad I have this for the perfect crowd. But it doesn't work for most crowds. Here's why: The rules are too complex for people who want to play a silly game, and theme is too silly for people who wan to play a complex game. When you get a group of gamers who want to play a silly game with complex rules, BBMM is the easy answer.

I hope this helps. Good luck and have fun.

BTW, we should have another little game on BGO! ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great posts! I'm going to get Dungeon Petz as my next expensive game.... I think it's ousted Troyes in the line; Troyes is a great game, but I feel my dry eurogamey passion is somewhat fulfilled at the moment. Dungeon Petz is sufficiently different enough.....

Except it seems to have elements of Vinhos, aging thing (food vs wine), various cages which can be made better (estates), heck, the way wines and animals score points at the exhibition and fair have plenty of similar mechanics. Still, they seem different enough and even if not, DP may be the better game.
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
loves it and I like his reviews, so I'm going to pick it up when I get 50 odd dollars, somehow.

And yeah, Shane, let's BGO again! (You'll still kick my butt)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Hortness
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
Mage Knight Board Game is an amazingly designed game and I loved playing it..... with others who know the rules. I used to own it but sold it as setup is way too fiddly and so are the billions of rules. It would take me about 2 hours to explore two new hex tiles before I got tired of the constant rule-checking. Gameplay was great, but learning all the different parts was more work than it was worth. Also I then bought and played!

Whenever I read stuff like this I cannot help but wonder if I am somehow playing the game incorrectly. Mage Knight seems pretty straight forward to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How did you learn it? Were you taught? Did you have buddies who learned it with you?

I tried to learn it solo. That's why I bought it, to play it solo. I got most of the basic stuff but what held me back were annoying things like iconography on the skill tokens for levelling up (ie, reading what each one does, trying to remember how that ties into the overall arc of the game, and also the dummy players iconography and if that's worth going for) or what the heck a magical glade does again and should I go for that over the village (which I need to remind myself how to recruit or plunder a village and what each of those do).

Like I said, the gameplay is fun but not fun enough to learn everything
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:
Dungeon Lords - I've only played this twice, so this is the game I have the least experience with. Overall, I really like it. But it definitely has the Galaxy Trucker-esque you-may-be-screwed-completely-by-one-card-if-you-didn't-look-at-it quality. You can literally play the first phase of the game for 45 minutes, and then get to the dungeon-raiding phase and be devastated by one card. Unfortunately, this is a major flaw for me, even though I like the game. Thematically, the bad cards work better in Galaxy Trucker, where the ship building rounds are 5 minutes and you expect to be shot at from every angle. But in Dungeon Lords, when you draw the card that says "your traps will not work this year", and you designed your entire dungeon based on the traps, it kind of sucks. You only get one dungeon the entire game, and if the invaders destroy it because of that card, your game is over. Some people will complain at the completely abstract nature of the invasion phase - it does NOT feel like a dungeon crawl at all - and how disconnected it is from the worker placement phase, but I think it generally works well once you understand how they relate. The theme does shine through. It is quirky and engaging. But again, it's not perfect.

Just want to throw in here that there is not a single card like that in Dungeon Lords. Events that occur during the year when placing workers are known two turns in advance, and are mostly of the type that make you pay some sort of cost. You have time to deal with what is thrown at you.

Spells during the combat phase can be tough, but they only work for that one round of combat, they aren't continuous for the whole battle. You have the opportunity to look at spells ahead of time during the placement phase. Spells are only cast if you have a wizard in your dungeon to cast them, which can sometimes be avoided depending on what adventurers are available, and where you are on the evilometer compared to the other players. Even still, there are traps and rooms that can negate the spell before it even takes affect.

There are absolutely no cards that you just flip over which can then randomly destroy or negate everything you've worked on. This can be a brutal game, and you will have to undergo damage control, but the above quote is definitely an exaggeration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just wanted to update everyone, I bought Dungeon Petz thanks to this thread. I hope I get my money's worth!

Setup of that thing was a full-on b****. Putting all the pets together, and the stickering. Took me about two hours from unshrink to putting the boxtop back on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
Just wanted to update everyone, I bought Dungeon Petz thanks to this thread. I hope I get my money's worth!

Setup of that thing was a full-on b****. Putting all the pets together, and the stickering. Took me about two hours from unshrink to putting the boxtop back on!

Hehe, I recall that, too. The punchout process for this game was stressful because some of the components were thin card stock.

Enjoy the rulebook! It's awesome! And great choice picking up the game. I hope you like it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And thanks to this thread (which I've been following stealthily), Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization is now on my radar...although I'll still be getting Mage Knight Board Game first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Alert is his best game. I defy anyone to find a game that is as unique, fun, and crazy. If you have people that will learn it with you following the wonderful manual, you will not regret it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Hortness
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
How did you learn it? Were you taught? Did you have buddies who learned it with you?

I tried to learn it solo. That's why I bought it, to play it solo. I got most of the basic stuff but what held me back were annoying things like iconography on the skill tokens for levelling up (ie, reading what each one does, trying to remember how that ties into the overall arc of the game, and also the dummy players iconography and if that's worth going for) or what the heck a magical glade does again and should I go for that over the village (which I need to remind myself how to recruit or plunder a village and what each of those do).

Like I said, the gameplay is fun but not fun enough to learn everything

I just read the walkthrough and rulebook, watched these videos then read the walkthrough and rule once more. I have only played it solo.
http://boardgamegeek.com/video/17400/mage-knight-board-game/...

http://boardgamegeek.com/video/17911/mage-knight-board-game/...

I think Mage Knight is simply amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ND3G wrote:
I just read the walkthrough and rulebook, watched these videos then read the walkthrough and rule once more. I have only played it solo.
http://boardgamegeek.com/video/17400/mage-knight-board-game/...

http://boardgamegeek.com/video/17911/mage-knight-board-game/...

Word. Lot of work, that. I'll say it again: It is a great game but it isn't my kinda thing. Perhaps in the future I'll rebuy it, once I've gotten my fill of the things currently looking sternly at me from my shelf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.