Nyi Nyi Htun
Australia
Newcastle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
I am sorry if the question is being asked somewhere but I have a base set and two adventure packs of the first cycle. I am planing to get second base set in the future. Should I fill all my adventure pack collection first and then move on to Khazad dun or why not??

Another question is that the third base set is essential or not?

Thanks so much, guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wilson
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The third base set only adds around 10 player cards if that, so it is not at all essential. I got mine because I knew this would turn out to be my favourite game and I couldn't do without a complete set.

As for your question - If you can, get the last four packs of the Mirkwood cycle to round off the player cards. The player cards from that cycle work well together (Eagles and Rohan spring to mind). If you were to go for Khazad-dum you would have a bit of a mix and match collection as regards to synergy between cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't really matter. The Cycles do tell a narrative, but since you rarely use the same deck with each adventure, it doesn't matter if you play this 'narrative' in order. So if the dwarves of Khazad-dum interest you, go ahead and grab it.

Also, there is no third base yet. Heirs of Numenor I think comes out in December, but it's not available (at least in my neck of the woods). But when it does come out,same thing. Get it or not in order, it doesn't really matter.

-shnar

Edit: Oh, 'base set', I thought you were talking about box-sized expansion. Sorry, ignore that last paragraph.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Eagle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also add this:
- if you get Khazad-dum, it's quite likely you will want to build Dwarf decks. All the player cards in KD are Dwarf-related, and they fit right with the theme of the quests
- if you're building Dwarf decks, you _really_ want the hero card for Dain, which is in Return to Mirkwood (last AP of the Mirkwood cycle).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nyi Nyi Htun
Australia
Newcastle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Thanks so much for the reply.

I think I will get Heirs of Numenor first(The theme attracts me there). Then, I will try to finish my collection of my first cycle. For dwarfs, sorry. You guys probably last ones to be collected, at least for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FAAx 87
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it depends on what type of player you are. Like the others said, if you like a specific race or trait especially then you should have no problem in going on and picking the newer adventure packs.

But in my opinion the quests are more important than the player cards. And some quests get easier with the growing cardpool. To get the most challenge (which is all the fun) you should pick up the packs in the release order.

If you like the game you will buy them all anyway sooner or later

Regarding the base game I would recommend a second copy because it helps a lot at certain decks. A third is only needed if you are a perfectionist. Since it is a cooperative game there should be no problem using proxys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonathan1990 wrote:
Thanks so much for the reply.

I think I will get Heirs of Numenor first(The theme attracts me there). Then, I will try to finish my collection of my first cycle. For dwarfs, sorry. You guys probably last ones to be collected, at least for me.

Be forewarned that the Deluxe Expansions, while containing 3 quests and new player cards, also have a lot of Encounter Cards that are not used in the expansion and are instead intended to be used in the following cycle. In other words, if you get Heirs, understand half* the cards you bought will be useless until you start buying the new cycle taht it supports.

Jorune

* Half is an exaggeration, I'm not sure the exact makeup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Field
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only got this game a couple of weeks ago, and I've already splurged on the Mirkwood cycle of APs and Khazad-Dum. I got a bit carried away, with the impending release of the new film. I'm re-watching the first trilogy (two extended versions in), and listening to the BBC radio play from the '80s on the way to and from work.

I'm going to hold off now until 2013, and I'll limit myself to one Dwarrowdelf AP per month until I have all of them. But at the minute a second core set really seems like overkill to me. I don't get it - if you have a few expansions, you can build loads of decks for each adventure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BanjoChutney wrote:
I'm re-watching the first trilogy (two extended versions in)

Did you see this?

http://cinemark.com/cinemark-Lord-of-the-rings-trilogy-marat...

Got tickets for me and my two oldest children (wife didn't want to sit through it, so she gets to babysit the youngest ).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Field
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those timings are full-on! Hopefully there'll be a bit of time to eat and let your eyes recover.

I did my first horror festival this year - three days of intensive terror and gore. We had to skip a few films just to eat, drink and speak to each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nyi Nyi Htun
Australia
Newcastle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
This is exactly my thoughts after I had bought severals AP and built decks around with it. My deck is by no means the perfect deck but I have the good feeling that it is perfectly playable. I don't have the thought of "man, I wish I had one more of that card". Of course I lost scenarios here and there but I am enjoying the game.

But I might give a shot about buying second or even third core set in the distant future. For me, it is nothing to do with the gameplay but collecting every 3 copies of cards(to become a perfectionist).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

Heh. Yeah, they have one of those here, too.

But really, 10h+ of cinema in one go (well, with breaks, but still)... that's a bit excessive.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanee wrote:
shnar wrote:

But really, 10h+ of cinema in one go (well, with breaks, but still)... that's a bit excessive.

Bye
Thanee

No way! I did Batman Begins and Dark Knight back to back at the cinema, leading up to the midnight release of Dark Knight Rises. 131 minutes for Batman Begins, 20 minutes break, 152 minutes for Dark Knight, about 40 minutes break (couldn't get a show that started right at 12:01 AM), and 165 minutes for Dark Knight Rises. Total time spent was about 8 1/2 - 9 hours, and it was totally worth it! My theater lists the Lord of the Rings extended edition marathon as 12 hours 40 minutes (which I assume includes breaks), and I plan on catching that too. I just wish the marathon was in IMAX!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
shnar wrote:

Bye
Thanee

Can you have excessiveness with Tolkien? I mean, in 3 years, we'll have 20+ hours of pure movie watching (the 3 Hobbits and the 3 LotRs)! Imagine THAT marathon!

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.