Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Boomhower
United States
Fairfield
VT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ordered Agricola with the Goodies Expansion. Having never played before, and our current worker placement experience in the family being Lords of Waterdeep, looking for suggestions on which of the Expansions that I am getting is worth adding in for:

First Game
Second Game
Permanently with all Games

Thanks to all.

M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Expansion Suggestions
Very misleading subject. I wasn't really expecting a question but more of suggestions you'd make for the publisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boomhower
United States
Fairfield
VT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't look at it that way...altered subject line to avoid misleading readers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion would be to play it a few times before you start getting expansions. Each person only uses 7 cards of each type per game, and given the number of cards in the base game, there's a huge amount of variety and combo possibilities just in the base game. It will take a long time for the base set's cards to get stale. I'd play it a few times so you can decide for sure if you like it or not, then start looking at expansions. Personally, this is one game that I don't see myself ever getting expansions for. We like it and play it, but its place in our collection is not expansion-worthy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boomhower
United States
Fairfield
VT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the advice. I got the Goodies Expansion because it comes with the vegi and animeeples so was wondering what of the included expansions I'm already getting might be best to add...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
This game comes with 3 expansions built in!

First, you have the "Family game" which is probably the most strategic version of this game.

Then, you have the E Deck of cards, adding occupations and minor improvements that will differentiate your farm from others. These are the most straight forward deck of cards.

Next, you've got the I Deck - Interactive cards. Here, your cards can have an impact on other players' game. Not usually in a destructive way, but they will influence others' choices.

Finally, there is the K Deck - Complex cards. You can build up crazy combo madness, cards frequently have 'requirements' instead of (or in addition to) direct costs.

If all of that isn't enough, you can mix the decks, or start drafting cards for your personalized hand.

There is a lot of game in the box.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van M.
Netherlands
Tilburg
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the Agricola basegame is a decent game, but with the addition of Farmers of the Moor it really shines. But that's just my opinion. I don't think I will ever again play Agricola without it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Family game at least once so everyone doesn't starve when you start with other stuff.

Open "E" deck, which contains only "E" cards and play the game with cards. Use them for a while, some people never progress beyond this point.

Open "I" deck, which contains some "E" cards as well. Either play with 'just E', or 'just I' or 'both'. "I is supposedly 'interactive' to make players focus on more than just their own area.

Open "K" deck, which contains "K" cards. These are more complicated combos. Again, mix and match with previously opened cards.

Expansions beyond that change the fundamental structure of the game, but you have plenty of plays in the box 'as is'.

___
Ninja'd due to a meeeting and starting an hour ago and then posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the posters above who enjoin you to play the base game a number of times first. After all, you might discover you don't like the game. That said, your Goodies expansion includes a number of smaller expansion decks to spice things up once you've gotten familiar with the standard cards, not to mention the X-deck to throw some sheer chaos around. Beyond that, assuming you determine that Agricola is a good fit for your crew, I highly recommend "Farmers of the Moor" for widening the decision tree, along with the G-Deck, the WC-deck, and the NL-deck for infinitizing the possible card combos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derakon Derakon
msg tools
Chris, above, described the Family game as the "most strategic" version...well, it's certainly the least random version, but don't think that the versions with cards are less strategic! Agricola is a very thinky game pretty much no matter what you do.

The vast majority of the expansions are just more cards, so you shouldn't need to bother with them until you've gotten tired of the cards that ship with the game. Our group plays with the E, I, K, Gamer, and Czech decks all shuffled together.

The Farmers of the Moor expansion is much more in-depth, and significantly changes how the game is played. It's very well done, but it does make the game take longer (there are more actions taken each round, and more things for each player to consider) and makes a complicated game more complicated.

Bottom line is, Agricola isn't one of those games that's not "complete" until you've packed on all of the available expansions. The base game is excellent in its own right, and the expansions are only really there if you want more of the same (in the case of the cards) or if you want to take it even further (in the case of Farmers of the Moor).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, don't mistake me, I love playing with the cards. I was really trying to give the impression that the Family Game is a real Game, not some weaksauce learner variant. There are fewer surprises there, but I'd rather play with the cards - I love surprises

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

As others have said, most of the expansions are just more cards.If you play the game a very large amount, you may feel like you'd like more variety in your cards. The new cards aren't "better" than the ones in the base game. It just provides variety. IMO, the "G" deck is the best one to get if you were going to buy more cards.

Farmers of the Moor, on the other hand, is more like a traditional expansion to a game. It changes the game pretty significantly. Some people think it's a better game, some think it's worse. I like it ok, but honestly rarely bother with FotM, even though we have it. I would strongly encourage playing the base game several times at least before you even bother with FotM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Evans
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
www.evanswhanau.co.nz
badge
...um, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
I echo that the base game is massively rich. Definitely take the time to enjoy it in its own right. In fact I would go as far as to say that taking the time to master the base game before playing expansions would increase your appreciation of the expansions as well.

The Farmers of the Moor expansion is my favourite 9and through the Seasons the least). The additional decks add variety, but really only come in once you know the three base decks intimately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my teaching regimen:

Game 1: Family game
Game 2: Farmers of the Moor, Complexity 1
Game 3: FotM, Complexity 2
Game 4: FotM, Complexity 3, only E cards
Game 5: FotM, Complexity 3, all cards mixed (with some important exceptions!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Taylor
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Agricola base game + Goodies expansion is really quite a lot of game.

Stick with that alone for a good while, I think. There's a lot to explore straight out of the box, more than most games have in their entire expanded lifetime.

If you want more right away, consider branching out into some other top worker-placements. And if you've a particular fondness for Uwe, consider Le Havre or Ora Et Labora. Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small is a favorite at our house too because it's a bite-of-Agricola that plays out in just 30 minutes end-to-end. Sometimes that's just the right fit.

When you want to branch out into Agricola expansions, consider the Gamer deck before the World Championship / country-specific decks, since the latter get a bit crazy in parts. And only go for the Fairy or X-deck if you want a really wacky game.

Farmers on the Moor is a good expansion, but it really changes a lot of the game, but it's more of an expansion for the Family game of Agricola (so I've heard, never played it), since it doesn't include the decks of occupations/upgrades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FoTM does contain minor improvements, but gearend towards the expansion of course. It also has a level 3 mode, where you can play with occupations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.