David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
In Le Havre And Ora et Labora, you can only use locations that people have built/bought. Ora is the more restrictive of the two, limiting you to your own buildings, for the most part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pullen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzolk'in: The Mayan CalendarYou cant get much better match that this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Fronk wrote:
Tzolk'in: The Mayan CalendarYou cant get much better match that this.

+1 Dang, got to it before I did.

Also, maybe Archipelago. The actions stay the same the, but the evolving board make the actions taken different (if that makes sense).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ann Th.
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Hawaii there is a modular board changing the locations.
Saw this one just this weekend at the belgian game convention and this was one of the aspects we liked and why we bought the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ground Floor may be kind of what you're looking for. The main board is always the same (though, if you get the Kickstarter promos somehow, there are event cards that change one of the areas), but the actions on your player board depend on what ground floor upgrades and what additional floors you have purchased.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Keyflower there are different hexes available to place your workers on each game. This is particularly notable in the 2 player game where you're using less than half the available hexes in a game. This means you get some games where it's easy to get more meeples, and some where it's hard; some games where gold is available others where there is none etc. This is really giving each game I've played (8 so far) a different feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Every homo sapiens needs an outbuilding within the curtelage of their property
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep has a lovely mechanic of buildings you can construct that are action spaces for everyone thereafter (and you get benefits from too) and, in a similar vein, so does Caylus Magna Carta.

Both are excellent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belfort feels like Lords of Waterdeep with an area control game stuck between it and the scoring. The primary buildings available to purchase are done the same as LoW but other players cannot use them. There are other buildings placed in the city that can be purchased and used by players. these are randomly selected at setup but do not change during the game. There are more direct player interaction buildings in these than in LOW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Troyes is a very interesting take on the genre with different actions available each game, depending on the card draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hallstrom
United States
Jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Troyes may be the closest you can get to what I think you are describing. Also there is a BGG promo with three more cards and The Ladies of Troyes which was just released doubles the number of option for cards as the base game. In each game 9 cards are used. The base game comes with 27 cards - 3 each for the 9 different positions. The BGG promo adds three more (plus an event card) to give some of the 9 positions 4 options each. The Ladies of Troyes adds 27 more to give at least 6 options for each of the nine positions - lots of variability.
Also, the end game bonus scoring is different each game - each player has a secret goal - but all players can score on all of the secret goals so each game will have a bit of a different end game bonus point race (with some bluffing to try to figure out what your opponents have to capitalize on it).

That said, it isn't a pure work placement game either. But it gives me a similar feel and I am worker placement junky too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Team D20 wrote:
I did buy Caylus Magna Carta, hoping that would add the variety I am looking for, but only found that in pretty much every game, at least one copy of every building came out every game. So far, the only game I have played that I feel somewhat meets my criteria is Lords of Waterdeep since there are only ten slots for building new buildings where workers can go, but the game comes with 24, adding a lot of variability. Still, even in that game, the basic buildings are where most of the worker placement competition happens each turn.

tonyboydell wrote:
Lords of Waterdeep has a lovely mechanic of buildings you can construct that are action spaces for everyone thereafter (and you get benefits from too) and, in a similar vein, so does Caylus Magna Carta.

Both are excellent!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McClure
United States
Fowler
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A game I played at Gencon, and liked enough to make it a christmas wish list item is Edo. I can't describe it very well, as it has been a while since I've played, but it is a worker placement game where you put some of your workers to work out and about on the game board. Check it out. I probably won't know if it is a better fit until after Christmas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.