Subject: Is Decsent 2.0 a good "Next step"? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Newfie Jebus
Canada
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My gaming group is currently enthralled with Talisman 4e (with Dungeon, Reaper, Frostmarch and Sacred pool expansions). We've been playing about 5-6 games a week. My girlfriend picked me up Descent 2.0 for Christmas (so hard not to open lol).
My question is, with my group being fairly new to the world of board-gaming, would Descent be a good "step up" from Talisman. I know they're both very dice heavy, but I'd like a little more choice beyond "move left or right". I've had my eye on Arkham Horror, but it's a little beyond what my current group have the patients for. I'd like to ease them into the more theme heavy games without drowning them and scaring them off.

So, is Decent a good step in that direction? Still simple, but a little more in depth than Talisman.

Thanks! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally different games, hard to compare the two. In Descent, it's a 1 vs Many gameplay, which you don't have in Talisman. You have more control over what you do (rolling the dice for movement is the most annoying part of Talisman), but you aren't disparate adventurers beefing up/racing for a final battle. You're all working together to beat one player. A good side-step from Talisman might have been DungeonQuest (third edition).

Still, the theme has some rings of similarity, mainly just a "fantasy" game. And if you're able to overlook some of the lesser desirable gameplay from Talisman, you can do the same for Descent (it has some mechanics that just make you scratch your head). You'll probably like it, but they are different games.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you liked the look of Arkham Horror, another in the Cthulhu mythos themed line you may like to take a look at is Mansions of Madness.
It's another FFG game with a similaresque feel as Descent (yes, rather different in many ways too), but with less tactical skirmish wargaming (though there is still plenty of fighty action) and more of a "story" (mystery) that is being followed (as you reveal clues you follow, and time related events unfold).
I played (and owned) lots of earlier version Talisman and rather enjoyed it in the day; I love Descent 2E ... and find MoM a load of fun too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just went that way - Talisman -> DungeonQuest as side dish, which got me hooked with Terrinoth(in which Descent is set up) -> Descent + Runebound.

Descent is awesome as next step thing, all of my friends love it, but I spent some time studying the manual and FAQ before we started playing to assure smooth gameplay out of the box. If you can't open it till Christmas you have more than enough time to read the manual on FFG's site

The one downside of Descent is... we don't want to come back to Talisman since we got Descent.

Runebound I only played 2 times, and first time I hated it, second time I loved it. Can't say much about it yet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's one step farther for a next step from Talisman. Descent is easy to learn, but there's quite a bit of things to learn, and once you know how to play, there's some quirky stuff to consider like juggling actions, fatigue and stuff.

But it's a good game. I own and like both, and I play them both for different purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sevej wrote:
I think it's one step farther for a next step from Talisman. Descent is easy to learn, but there's quite a bit of things to learn, and once you know how to play, there's some quirky stuff to consider like juggling actions, fatigue and stuff.

But it's a good game. I own and like both, and I play them both for different purposes.

Yeah, the only similarities are... they are both set in a fantasy environment, and each player controls a hero or monsters (with skills and equipment).
That's pretty much where it ends.

Both are good.
Talisman is a gateway to deeper dungeon delvers.
Descent is a gateway to tabletop war-gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A closer step up would be HeroQuest as a bridge to Descent.

Moving from a static board of everyone for him or her self - to a semi-static board with everyone co-operating against one OL.

Then moving to Descent which is a variable board with everyone co-operating against one OL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Newfie Jebus
Canada
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you all for your insight! I hadn't considered either DungeonQuest or HeroQuest before. I've only seen them on here in passing. I've been researching both over the last few hours, and I think they'll have to be played in the near future!

Areinu wrote:
If you can't open it till Christmas you have more than enough time to read the manual on FFG's site

I've been reading this site and the manual since about August about Descent 2.0, UndeadViking's review was what sold it for me. And I've been reading the manual and all the forum discussions here ever since. I can't wait to play it. But, since you've mentioned DungeonQuest and HeroQuest today, I think I have a couple more boardgames to pick up.

Thanks! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.