Kingdom Builder» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Vikings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I saw somebody use this strategy. It requires the Harbor and usually the Paddock. Ideally, you gain the Harbor without grazing any water spaces. Then your first Harbor placement can be in any part of the board. Then you do one of two things: use the Paddock to move the newly placed Harbor off the water, or build away from the water and then remove your beachhead. In the latter case, your house remains on the water, but you can remove it as your house to place when you play the Harbor, and then you're unlimited by adjacency again. You can also do the latter option with a Barn instead of a Paddock.

I call it Vikings because you can strike anywhere there is a coast, then next turn freely strike again anywhere else.

It's pretty easy to get castles with this strategy, so one thing that makes it slightly more useful is if there are more castles than typical on the board. Point cards I think it works particularly well with are those where you want to get to every quadrant and have maximum flexibility about how many houses you place in each quadrant: Lords and Farmers. It's also useful for those where you want to span in one dimension, but contiguity is not necessary, like Knights and Discoverers. With basic actions, it's possible to get blocked in these efforts by terrain or other players, but with vikings, you can easy navigate to the other side of the blockage. It's somewhat useful with the Hermit, but Paddock by itself will do almost as well in that case.

It's particular unuseful with characters that require contiguity: Merchants and Citizens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Similar to this, it works with Tower and Paddock.
And yes, it is a great taktik to get a lot cities and places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Jack Spirio wrote:
Similar to this, it works with Tower and Paddock.
And yes, it is a great taktik to get a lot cities and places.

Good point, though I think there are many more spaces 2 steps from water than 2 steps from the edge. What should we call the tactic of Tower + Paddock? Huns?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
morningstar wrote:
Huns?

Sound good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
It occurred to me, after way too long, that you can also do this same thing with Farms or Oases. I call these Sami and Bedouins. You have to be fairly careful about exactly which space you play on, so you can make sure you can jump to the location tile you want, but that where you land doesn't touch the grass / desert.

The trouble here is that the fun tends to run out as soon as you actually draw a grass or desert card. Sometimes you can then completely fill a small terrain area, but not always, and not while doing the plan you really wanted to.

On the other hand, as long as you don't draw those cards, I think these work a little better than Huns, because most of the time you place immediately adjacent to a location on grass or desert, but only in a few cases on an edge. You can jump from an edge to a location tile, but with Sami and Bedouins you get the tile a turn earlier. Vikings can do that too, but the nice aspect about the Farm and the Oasis is that the get an additional house onto the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.