BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Dice tower or no dice tower rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jessica J
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I've heard lots of talk and seen lots of recommendations about using a dice tower. So, I want to know, what's the deal? Why do you love them or why do you hate them?

I personally love it when I'm playing a game, and I get things just right where I get to throw 12 dice. I like the weight and the feel of them in my hands. I'm thinking a dice tray may be the thing for me.

However, I want to know about the pros and cons of the dice tower. Discuss!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love using a dice tower. Main reason?: Dice control! I very much dislike when dice go flying off the table or worse, hit counters or pieces scaterring them like a mortar blast. A dice tower puts everyone on the same page for rolling. Sure, I get people that say they lose their lucky roll of watching the dice leave their hand and hit the table but I am more for protecting the game components from a disaster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d Michel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the pro side: no retrieving dice from under the table or furniture
no havoc commited by stray dice on miniatures
no tilted dice from be partly on boards or cards
easier to role 30 or more dice (Warhammer)
On the con side: you aren't physically rolling the dice
no tactile satisfaction
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jlady11 wrote:
However, I want to know about the pros and cons of the dice tower. Discuss!

Tom's videos are kind of ADDish. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KRAMPUS
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyD wrote:
I love using a dice tower. Main reason?: Dice control! I very much dislike when dice go flying off the table or worse, hit counters or pieces scaterring them like a mortar blast. A dice tower puts everyone on the same page for rolling. Sure, I get people that say they lose their lucky roll of watching the dice leave their hand and hit the table but I am more for protecting the game components from a disaster.

I agree, but you can still use a dice tray and gain most of the same benefits.

So Tower or Tray? Six of one, half dozen of the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't use dice towers because they take too much time to load and then read the dice, and unless I suspect a person is cheating I see no reason to require them to use one.

As for dice trays. I know how to control the dice I roll and see no reason to need to roll into a tray, box, etc. However, I know others who prefer them for security (in case loose die get away from them) and just because it makes it simpler. For me, when other players use either it means I need to stand up or lean over to see what they rolled. I would rather just look on the table at it then either stand up or ask them "what did you roll."

I recently played a game of Wellington where both sides were rolling lots of dice and tossing them into a box lid was convenient. But even then, it wasn't necessary... just nice.

I think people like the towers especially because they are flashy. Not necessary, but flashy. Like pretty satin or silk dice bags and colorful dice. I would rather spend my money on something else, but to each his own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still waiting for someone to make me to the dice tower that turns into a giant robot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyD wrote:

Yep, yep, yep. That makes me crazy.

So if nothing else it's a device that maintains what's left of my sanity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gleb Semenjuk
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice tower is also the sound of it... Love the noise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple Litko dicetowers and though they are nice, they are very small. Big piles of dice get jammed up sometimes and they are hard to get the dice out of the tray. My gaming group doesn't really like them much. Good for solo games but doesn't work so well for group games.

We do have a nice wood and felt dice tray and that works well since we can pass it around. Works really well for King of Tokyo and other primarily dice games.

I've been looking for a couple big dice towers. Ones that have large wells to retreive the dice and big enough you can chuck in lots and it won't jam. With felt on the baffles and base it should be quiet too. Still looking for something like that. I've seen some pics of interesting designs but most seem to be hand built and not available for sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Clark
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find dice towers obnoxious. I use a tray to keep my dice together, and can live without the *clack clack clack* of dice tumbling down a tower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Aldridge
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play games with children, a dice tower can be a helpful tool. Some of my younger nephews are mentally capable of playing some of my games w/ dice but don't quite have the coordination to handle them without tossing them over the board and disrupting pieces or dropping them off the table, etc. This is a fun alternative for them.

If you play games with kids, dice towers are great.

If you only play with adults, it's up to your own preference. I typically don't mess with them otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wiggins
United States
Kingwood
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Uh! It's this darn dice tower!
mbmbmbmbmb
I had never used a dice tower until recently. Honestly, and I know I'll get eye rolls at this, I didn't really even know what they were for! But at BGG.CON my wife and I bought one (after being told what they were for) that had the BGG.CON logo on it. Kind of a useful souvenir. About a week or so later now, we no longer play anything without it! It's small, light-weight, ours collapses for easy travel, it's sturdy enough to pass around the table, it makes satisfying rolling noises, and most important- if you roll poorly, you can blame the tower! I love ours. But it probably just comes down to personal preference.

I still don't know a lot about them or how they're typically put together, but ours has no bottom. I see people saying they have to dig their dice out of the tray, we just lift the tower up and there the dice are! Nothing to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Ross
Ireland
Cork City
Co. Cork
flag msg tools
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband received a dice tower bought on etsy for his birthday this year. We love it for the same reasons cited by other posters: it keeps the dice from knocking components from the game board or falling on the floor, and it's easier for our 4 year old, who is playing more games with us (including King of Tokyo) to manage. He loves watching the dice tumble through the tower, so it adds an additional element of fun to the game for him.

It's not something I would have considered buying, myself, but we're really happy now that we have one and wouldn't want to be without it.

Ours is made of wood, with a felt-lined tray, so it's not only tidier to use than no tower at all, but also quieter. It's compact, too, so can be paseed around to other players easily and takes up little space on our small table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
riastradh wrote:
I find dice towers obnoxious. I use a tray to keep my dice together, and can live without the *clack clack clack* of dice tumbling down a tower.

That's the sound of adventure you're hearing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never used a dice tower but I use a dice tray with a felt lining. I like using the tray because I can really put some force in my rolls without having to worry about the dice flying around the table. The felt lining muffles the noise so it's not annoyingly loud and you still get the satisfying rattle sound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
We use a dice tray. Still controlled, and still feel rolled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Goss
United States
Upland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally love playing games with a dice tower. I built mine using my daughter's Lego Duplos, it's large enough to handle the one inch dice included in King of Tokyo.

As previously mentioned, dice control is probably the best reason to use a dice tower and (almost) nobody will question the fairness of the roll results. Passing the tower around the table so everybody can use it is probably the biggest nuisance when using one in a game.

Many non-gamers laugh when the dice tower is brought to the table; let's all face it, it is a bit nerdy. But by the end of the game, they will love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamemaster said,
Roll in the tray,
Not too hard
or they'll fly astray.
I should have heeded
his advice...
But if felt so nice.

And the dice flew here,
And the dice flew there,
Many beautiful dice,
That I hadn't thought would escape.
They flew off the path,
And into the rice
That until then we all had shared.
If I had been more careful -
But I never had cared.
And it made me feel excited-
Well, excited and scared.

Then he said, "That's it!"
And getting all the dice together,
Gamemaster pulled from his kit
Something we hadn't seen before.
When he dropped those dice,
Umm, I really got scared-
Well, excited and scared-
But we all drew close
As they all tumbled down,
Down a dark clanky path
Where lie secrets that I never want to know,
And when everything familiar
Seemed to disappear forever,
At the end of the path
Our dice came out again!

So we dropped them in the dark
Until somehow they got free,
Revealing numbers from the mystery.
Then we're back to the start.

And I know things now,
Many valuable things,
That I hadn't known before:
Do not put your faith
In a box or a tray,
They will not protect
The way that folks say.
And take extra care with meeples,
Even cubed dice have their dangers.
And though free rolling is exciting:
Nice is different than good!

Now I know.
Don't be scared.
Dice can be fun -
Just be prepared.
Isn't it nice to know a lot?
And a little bit not...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica J
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Tricky McGee wrote:
If you play games with children, a dice tower can be a helpful tool. Some of my younger nephews are mentally capable of playing some of my games w/ dice but don't quite have the coordination to handle them without tossing them over the board and disrupting pieces or dropping them off the table, etc. This is a fun alternative for them.

If you play games with kids, dice towers are great.

That is a great point. I have a 4 year old who would love to play certain games with us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gleb wrote:

I'm just the opposite. Unless the tower is well padded so that it doesn't make a racket, I'd just as soon roll in a tray.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carly
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
TUBOFSNAILS
mbmbmbmbmb
Gleb wrote:

Oh I agree - we have one made of wood, and it makes the coolest sound ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Hortness
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought one of these Unique Dice Towers

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617806523/unique-dice-to...

and I am quite happy with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
Geosphere wrote:
We use a dice tray. Still controlled, and still feel rolled.

Ditto, I made a tray from one of those small, chunky picture frames you can pick up cheap in arts and crafts type stores. No more dice flying off the table or displacing pieces on the board, but you retain all the fun of chucking a hand full o' bones. If you're going to use a dice tower you may as well go the whole hog and use a dice rolling app on your phone, one less piece of kit to lug around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bachelor
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Mick sings, "you got to roll me"....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.