Hide
13 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: returning to the city... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
E A
msg tools
If the investigator is in the second area of the OW and moves back to Arkham during the Movement Phase and there is a monster waiting on the gate, should he fight the monster BEFORE closing the gate or can he fight it later?
In addition, if he fights the monster, can he still close the gate in the same turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the turn you "return to Arkham", you may ignore the monsters at the gate if you choose. If you do ignore them, you must deal with them the next turn. Or you can choose to fight them immediately.

And yes, if you fight the monster during the Movement Phase, you can still close the gate during the Arkham Encounter phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are not obliged to fight the Monster, ever. You will have to deal with the Monster by Evading or Fighting it on your next turn. You may elect to Fight it this turn.

page 18 of the Arkham Horror rulebook wrote:
MONSTERS GUARDING GATES
During the turn he returns to Arkham from an Other
World, an investigator does not have to evade or fight
any monsters in the gate’s location. This rule only
applies during the turn he returns to Arkham; in subsequent
turns, if the investigator remains in the location,
he must evade or fight any monsters there as normal.

[edit: italics added for emphasis]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninja'd because I took the time to quote the rules for veracity. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becky B
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
On the turn that an investigator returns to Arkham from an Other World, he/she gets a "free pass" against any monsters guarding that gate for that turn only.

So if in your movement phase, you return to Arkham and get your explored token, you can just sit there and ignore the monster(s) there and attempt to close/seal the gate during the encounters phase. You will have to deal with them during any subsequent turns (if you fail to close the gate or if you want to move away from the location after closing the gate).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha! somebody got double-ninja'd

Anyone going for the hat-trick? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
ninja'd because I took the time to quote the rules for veracity. devil

Veracity will get you nowhere!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becky B
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Aha! somebody got double-ninja'd

Anyone going for the hat-trick? whistle

This is what I get for trying to answer questions while at work. At least I had the right answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This only applies if you return to Arkham on your movement phase. If an encounter on the Other World phase or Mythos phase returns you to Arkham, you will have to fight/evade the monster on the movement phase the next turn and if you are still on the gate on the Arkham Encounter phase you can try to close the gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
One point of ambiguity, can you choose to fight some and ignore the others?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jackalope wrote:

That is the way we have always played. It says may so we figure you can pick and choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anoirtrou wrote:
This only applies if you return to Arkham on your movement phase. If an encounter on the Other World phase or Mythos phase returns you to Arkham, you will have to fight/evade the monster on the movement phase the next turn and if you are still on the gate on the Arkham Encounter phase you can try to close the gate.
The quoted rule is sufficient and doesn't require clarification. Note the key phrase
Quote:
During the turn he returns to Arkham from an Other World
So if you Return during Phase III - IV you effectively don't get the "free pass" (because you have gone past Phase II where you would have to deal with them), whereas if you Return during Phase I or II you do (because there will be a "Monster resolution Phase" in the turn that you Return to Arkham). I include a reference to all Phases, irrespective of whether I'm aware of a method by which return can happen in that Phase. The rule covers all cases as far as I can tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jackalope wrote:
I'm with anoirtrou on this point. I see no reason why you shouldn't hunt down the nearer and weaker prey to give yourself a better chance next turn when your buddy turns up with the Shotgun (turn order issues notwithstanding). Or maybe you want to Evade your way out next turn but you want to turn your Sneak down so that you can get your Speed up - so you whack the Monster with the greatest Awareness. All's fair in love and Arkham.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.